The Student Room Group

The problem with female comedians

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Victoria Coren is witty, perspicacious and delectable, but she'd never be a comedian.

Oh, and in case you don't know who Victoria Coren is:

I dunno what it is really, I don't really find many female comedians funny.

Like on shows such as Live at the Apollo or something when they have a few people on, I pretty much NEVER find the girls funny.

Maybe I just prefer watching people like Jack Whitehall 'cause he's fit :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by thevelvetonion
I dunno what it is really, I don't really find many female comedians funny.

Like on shows such as Live at the Apollo or something when they have a few people on, I pretty much NEVER find the girls funny.

Maybe I just prefer watching people like Jack Whitehall 'cause he's fit :dontknow:

Yes that is exactly how I feel!

But yeah much love for Jack Whitehall, with his fitness and posh accent :smile:
Jack Whitehall is not 'fit' :puke:

On topic, Miranda Hart is hilarious :love:
My friend had a theory that revolved round a premise that most comedians are crap and therefore you have to be really special to be any good. The Magic 1%

Now there are far more male comedians than female ones so therefore more of them make this magic 1%. Now the best comedians out there are generally older. This is the same for guys and girls. Now seeing there are more male comedians, it is about right that there will be a few younger ones coming through the ranks.

Seeing there are less girls doing comedy, and the better comedians are older its not surprising there are far less attractive female comics on the major scene.

I'm not entirely sure I have got my point across... I hope it makes sense
shappy korsandi's 'aite'

the thing is...most women comedians have to take the piss out of women in general, or be ethnic and then bring racist jokes into it...otherwise they're just no funny

look at how much jo brand takes the piss out of herself and women just for a gag!
Reply 27
Perhaps I find less attractive comedians more funny, an ongoing joke with Michael Mcintyre is that he looks chinese when he smiles and thinks he must have been adopted because of this, Russell Howard mentions his slight lazy eye, Jo Brand talks about her weight
Original post by anoushka1
Yes that is exactly how I feel!

But yeah much love for Jack Whitehall, with his fitness and posh accent :smile:

Yesss fit and posh accent = perfect combination :biggrin:

snowyowl - how dare you vomit haha! xD
Speaking from considerable experience, been doing stand up for 4 and a half years now, many of us took to telling jokes because of the scurrilous lie that women find a good sense of humour attractive. The truth is closer to: when a woman finds a bloke attractive, she will laugh at any old sh*te he spouts.

Women don't have to strive as hard for fornication, and the pressure is less. Also, it's a very masculine profession, standing on stage shouting, 'laugh at me, look how funny and awesome I am' and then telling a room full of people that a heckler is a c*nt.

Edit: Lucy Porter and Nina Konti are both gorgeous and relatively successful comics.
Original post by rylit91
Watch Dawn French's Girls Who Do Comedy - deals with this. Good looking women can't be good because men aren't focusing on what they are saying, they're just thinking "Great pair of ****" and women see good looking women as a threat, so just hate them.

People judge women on what they wear and how they look, whereas they don't do this with men.

Whilst I'm sure it's an interesting programme, if the argument is that female comedians get it in the neck because guys are too busy looking at their tits to listen to their jokes, then it sounds like rubbish to me.

I've watched female comedians a lot this week and it's simply the quality of jokes at the moment, and there are equally poor male comedians with similar jokes. Jo Brand just talks about her weight and not getting sex; Shappi Khorsandi just talks about being Iranian, but I've heard her use the same script for 3 separate shows; and Miranda Hart, although very funny in her TV show, just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to stand-up.

Overall, in terms of current female comedians, I can name plenty of funny female comedians on TV shows and films, but very few when it comes to stand-up, and I'd put it solely down to quality of jokes.
Reply 31
Original post by DarkWhite
Whilst I'm sure it's an interesting programme, if the argument is that female comedians get it in the neck because guys are too busy looking at their tits to listen to their jokes, then it sounds like rubbish to me.

I've watched female comedians a lot this week and it's simply the quality of jokes at the moment, and there are equally poor male comedians with similar jokes. Jo Brand just talks about her weight and not getting sex; Shappi Khorsandi just talks about being Iranian, but I've heard her use the same script for 3 separate shows; and Miranda Hart, although very funny in her TV show, just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to stand-up.

Overall, in terms of current female comedians, I can name plenty of funny female comedians on TV shows and films, but very few when it comes to stand-up, and I'd put it solely down to quality of jokes.

We're talking about good looking women. The majority of a male audience wouldn't be thinking about her jokes, they'd be thinking about having sex with her; albeit subconsciously. Men don't want good looking women to be funny, because they don't have to be. They can get any bloke they want with looks alone, therefore men want good looking women for one thing and not for a laugh.

Moreover, men see women who are funny as a threat. Men generally like to be the ones in power in a social situation, and if you can make people laugh you've got the power. Men don't want a woman who can make people laugh, this goes for women too, because they could make the man look foolish and take the **** out of them. As a result, female comedians just aren't as popular.
Reply 32
Original post by Profesh
Victoria Coren is witty, perspicacious and delectable, but she'd never be a comedian.

Oh, and in case you don't know who Victoria Coren is:

Saw her on Have I Got News For You - if she's like what she was on there, I hate her. Archetypal spoilt child who's too used to getting her own way and an abundance of attention. I bet she's an only child.
Reply 33
Are there any good looking young male comedians?

Quick Reply

Latest