The Student Room Group

The Daily Telegraph: Muslim population has grown from 1.65m to 2.87m in a decade

Scroll to see replies

Sooo..... This is meant to be worrying? :curious:
There are Muslims who are white you know!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by macroscopic
Yes, I see your point, however, Islam is against violence. I, myself am a Muslim but I have many homosexual friends, I would err judge them on their sexuality, in fact I have a Muslim friend who is bisexual. I can see your point but homosexuality is not just a problem some Muslims may have, many non-Muslims have caused violence against homosexuals, it's a problem some people have universally, regardless of their religion. Islam also accepts divorce, it may be against abortion generally but so are other religions, in some circumstances abortion is actually accepted, no Muslim I know would ever judge anyone, or cause violence against other because of their views.

Yes I do appreciate that the vast majority of Muslims don't cause violence and wouldn't condone it in any way, and it's only a very small minority that do resort to violence. The thing is, people are perfectly entitled to see homosexuality, abortion and divorce as morally wrong, providing they don't treat people any differently because of it. The danger is that the more people see it as wrong, the more people are going to act upon it (Even if the vast majority don't). But as I said, I do appreciate that the vast majority, like yourself, don't treat people differently because of it :smile:

The real issue is combatting the supreme lack of integration we have. We have the worst Us vs Them mentality at the moment and it just fosters hatred. I imagine both sides are partly to blame, but if we could get rid of the Us vs Them mentality that seems to exist at the moment, it would really become a non-issue.
Reply 63
Like many have said, i'm fine with them all coming in. Its just when they start claiming that certain things offend them, and they need this and need that, basically when they start taking advantage thats when it ticks me off.
Reply 64
Original post by macroscopic
Contraception is allowed in Islam :biggrin:

No it is not google it you infidel
The floodgates are well and truly open.
Reply 66
hmmm 75% of All Statistics are fake

Maybe its because lots of White British people are converting to islam...maybe that should be made illegal ?
Original post by Tempa
No it is not google it you infidel

I am a muslim myself, and I'm quite aware it's allowed. No need to 'google' it.
Reply 68
Original post by tieyourmotherdown

The real issue is combatting the supreme lack of integration we have. We have the worst Us vs Them mentality at the moment and it just fosters hatred. I imagine both sides are partly to blame, but if we could get rid of the Us vs Them mentality that seems to exist at the moment, it would really become a non-issue.

Thats more of an Economic Argument of integrating the working class than a religious one, Rich Muslim Millionaires have no trouble with integration when their in England buying Football clubs or 5* Hotels

Most Muslim in the UK are working class not because they are stupid but because most muslims are of immigrant origin and Britain attracted low skilled low piad immigrants to essentially fill up the labour shortage post WW2. And if you dad is working class chances are you will be working class particularly if your dad has never been to school in his host country
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by James10000
Thats more of an Economic Argument of integrating the working class than a religious one

Most Muslim in the UK are working class not because they are stupid but because most muslims are of immigrant origin and Britain attracted low skilled low piad immigrants to essentially fill up the labour shortage post WW2. And if you dad is working class chances are you will be working class particularly if your dad has never been to school in his host country

What do you base that assumption on?
Reply 70
Original post by HornAfrican
It's not worrying at all; 2.87m is such a small number in comparison to non-Muslims.

the populasion of the united britains is 4.3 milion for ur information so this is a veri worryin statistic!1
Original post by Tempa
If the point of this thread is to point out the dramatic increase in population, then let me say that Muslims are not allowed to use contraception so each time they have sex: they have a baby. Simple.

Wrong.
Reply 72
Original post by Sithius
the populasion of the united britains is 4.3 milion for ur information so this is a veri worryin statistic!1

haha if you believe that you've got some serious issues :eek:
Original post by fell
that's a really interesting point actually, I've always assumed it would be the first generation but thinking about it my parents have never sat around the kitchen table hatching a plan to bomb a Christmas tree or something, hahaha
i think it would more likely be the third generation though
I'm the second generation i still feel quite ' connected' to my culture - I've never felt the urge to be extreme

shi*, I've just realise that my children could potentially fall under that category :|
haahha
:biggrin: I'm sure they won't, you seem like you'll make a jolly good parent.
Original post by JW92
It's only worrying insofar as first generation Muslim immigrants from staunchly Muslim countries will often hold values and prejudices that conflict with those of a liberal Western society. As I say though, that's usually restricted to first generation Muslim immigrants and 2.87m is still a relatively very small proportion of the population.

I would have been classed as one of those.
But now I am a atheist and very outspoken about my lack of belief.
It is much easier to make sense of the world without being blinded by the dogma of islam (or religion as a whole).
Finally I am starting to understand why there is so much tension between english and muslim communities...
I wish we could have mass immigration of people from a less illiberal culture instead.
Reply 76
Generally the second generation or those born in the UK within a muslim family and who are 'practising' are generally more religious and generally distinguish the difference between culture and religion
Reply 77
I'm not 100% on this but i'm sure Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the UK in terms of conversion

I know that is the case in America where the number of female converts rocketed after 9/11 because they wanted to know more about the religion in which name those attacks were supposedly carried out in.
Reply 78
Original post by Chengis
I'm not 100% on this but i'm sure Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the UK in terms of conversion

I know that is the case in America where the number of female converts rocketed after 9/11 because they wanted to know more about the religion in which name those attacks were supposedly carried out in.

20,000 Americans convert to Islam every year since 9/11. Three times more than pre 9/11.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Major points in the article and blog:
1) The number of Muslims has increased substantially in 10 years
2) Britain has the third largest number of Muslims in Europe, but the 9th largest proportionally
3) A tendency for Islamic families to be larger will lead to a higher proportion of Muslims in the country in the future
4) At some point the Muslims will seek to be better represented in parliament thus opening up ground for Sharia law to become central and a Muslim lobby to be created.
Points 1, 2 and 3, are fairly reasonable but not worrying in themselves. Point 4 I cannot accept, because first of all the judiciary and the government are separate and given the historical background of the legal system I can't see Sharia law becoming widespread (also it wasn't commented that Sharia law is already in place in some places operating in civil legal cases). As for the notion of an Islamic lobby, well I disagree with an lobbying groups, unlike America lobbying is not so widespread here. Instead there are representative groups, and there are two large Islamic representative groups already, but we've not seen any significant change.
Storm in a teacup I feel.

Quick Reply