The Student Room Group

To Kill A Mockingbird/ Triple Award Science

Oaky, so I desperately need help with To Kill A Mockingbird for English Lit. I've been trying to revise but I don't really get the story to begin with :confused:. I know it's about racism and just the basic stuff really, but I picked English Lit for A Level so I'm aiming to get an A in the exam (I got an A for English Lang:smile:) so any help with this book is MUCH appreciated.

And as for Triple Award Science...I have 2 examS in Jan (P2 & B2) and have been rying to revise but can't seem to hold info :s-smilie:. I went onto the AQA website, done some tests, and it seems i'm only getting B's (I think - 25/45 im not sure of the grade boundaries) but anyway i'm aiming for A's in this as well, especially as i'm taking Bio for A Level and just seriously need some help, or advice on how to revise and actually retain info.

ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED !! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What exactly don't you get about TKAM? The plot is pretty straightforward, maybe if you watch the film that might help?
Keep Doing the past papers - and also look at the Mark Schemes - Though after you have done the paper!
Well you're gonna have to ask an actual question first..
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
What exactly don't you get about TKAM? The plot is pretty straightforward, maybe if you watch the film that might help?

The film kinda bored me to sleep so wasn't much help. I get that Tom was killed unfairly, i just don't know anything about the characters and what role they have in the story
Reply 5
Original post by TheFootyKing19
Keep Doing the past papers - and also look at the Mark Schemes - Though after you have done the paper!

I've probably done 5 past papers as there the only ones I can find for B2 on the AQA website and I always get around the 20-25 mark so i'm not exactly improving. :frown:
Check the questions you are getting wrong - and go back to your textbook, revision book and revise the topic :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Bazingaaa
The film kinda bored me to sleep so wasn't much help. I get that Tom was killed unfairly, i just don't know anything about the characters and what role they have in the story

Hmm, well unfortunately you're going to have to interest yourself in it somewhat since if you don't get the plot you won't be able to do the exam.

Have you tried buying a book like this to help?

Sadly you're going to have to make a bit of an effort, even if you find it boring. I hated Great Expectations but I gritted my teeth and forced myself to take it seriously.
Reply 8
I think i've resigned myself to the fact that i'm mostly likely just gonna get an average score in science no matter how hard i try.

And i am taking it seriously, but the teacher isn't the best of teachers so when it comes to going over the book he just says there's plenty of time till the exam so there's no need to cram it in, which is true but then hardly anyone in the class understands and the teachers gets to pissy

Oh and i will try a book like that, thanks :smile:
Original post by Democracy
Hmm, well unfortunately you're going to have to interest yourself in it somewhat since if you don't get the plot you won't be able to do the exam.

Have you tried buying a book like this to help?

Sadly you're going to have to make a bit of an effort, even if you find it boring. I hated Great Expectations but I gritted my teeth and forced myself to take it seriously.

This ^.

My A2 Eng lit coursework was based on the worst book I've ever read. Won the Pulitzer Prize, the NY Times said it was the best piece of American fiction in the last 25 years, and I genuinely thought it was the most boring, nonsensical, awful book I'd ever read. Hated it. Still gotta make the effort though.. :colondollar:
Could you specify what exactly you are having trouble with? I did TKAMB and Triple Science, so maybe a few others and I could help, but you're not giving us much to work with!

For TKAMB - go on sparknotes, helped me through TKAMB and AS, still using it for A2.
Triple Science - the textbooks are pretty helpful, well AQA ones were, it was all broken down. Just make sure you know the key points and you should get an A. A lot of GCSE is just regurgitating facts back at them.
Reply 11
Look up the definition of noblesse oblige, then read the bit about Atticus talking about abusive white men being scum or something (can't remember the exact quote it was a while ago). That scored me some brownie points in the exam :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by yahyahyahs
Could you specify what exactly you are having trouble with? I did TKAMB and Triple Science, so maybe a few others and I could help, but you're not giving us much to work with!

For TKAMB - go on sparknotes, helped me through TKAMB and AS, still using it for A2.
Triple Science - the textbooks are pretty helpful, well AQA ones were, it was all broken down. Just make sure you know the key points and you should get an A. A lot of GCSE is just regurgitating facts back at them.

Ahhh, my teacher gave us that website i just forgot it, so i will definitely go in it. Oh and for TKAMB when we looked at the exam questions there were questions like
"How does Harper Lee create drama and tension in the novel? Refer closely to two
episodes in your answer" and "In what ways is the title important to the novel" and i would have no idea how to answer them and what to include
Reply 13
Not doing triple science, but I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird for GCSE!

Oh and for TKAMB when we looked at the exam questions there were questions like
"How does Harper Lee create drama and tension in the novel? Refer closely to two
episodes in your answer" and "In what ways is the title important to the novel" and i would have no idea how to answer them and what to include

We did the first question as a practice one - you should chose two events (I did the bit where he shoots the rabid dog, and the lynch mob scene) and explain how her techniques create tension e.g. she uses short sentences at this point, for example "..." to create tension because..., or harper lee uses juxtaposition of humour and a strong feeling of danger to create drama and tension because...

For the second question, you should probably talk about the theme of mockingbirds all throughout the book - for example, Tom could be seen as a mockingbird as his death was unfair, Boo could be seen as a mockingbird as his punishment was unfair. I would say that you would need to explain why this theme is so important to the book as well and why Atticus chooses to tell this to Scout, but you might still do well without saying that!
Reply 14
Original post by bazoolium
Not doing triple science, but I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird for GCSE!

We did the first question as a practice one - you should chose two events (I did the bit where he shoots the rabid dog, and the lynch mob scene) and explain how her techniques create tension e.g. she uses short sentences at this point, for example "..." to create tension because..., or harper lee uses juxtaposition of humour and a strong feeling of danger to create drama and tension because...

For the second question, you should probably talk about the theme of mockingbirds all throughout the book - for example, Tom could be seen as a mockingbird as his death was unfair, Boo could be seen as a mockingbird as his punishment was unfair. I would say that you would need to explain why this theme is so important to the book as well and why Atticus chooses to tell this to Scout, but you might still do well without saying that!

I have no idea what a mockingbird is :colondollar: stupid i know, considering the title. And can you explain that quote about "shoot all the bluejays you want but it is a sin to kill a mockingbird" or something like that
And as for Triple Award Science...I have 2 examS in Jan (P2 & B2) and have been rying to revise but can't seem to hold info :s-smilie:. I went onto the AQA website, done some tests, and it seems i'm only getting B's (I think - 25/45 im not sure of the grade boundaries) but anyway i'm aiming for A's in this as well, especially as i'm taking Bio for A Level and just seriously need some help, or advice on how to revise and actually retain info.

ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED !! :smile:

Revision guides and workbooks. Writing notes (look, cover, write, check). Flow diagrams. Concept maps. Past Papers and mark schemes. Getting parents/siblings/friends to test you.
Reply 16
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Revision guides and workbooks. Writing notes (look, cover, write, check). Flow diagrams. Concept maps. Past Papers and mark schemes. Getting parents/siblings/friends to test you.

Thanks..loads of ideas here. I've done mind maps so far but all the info i've put on there never come up on the practise papers. I think my problems lie in the fact that i dunno how to answer the questions.
Reply 17
Sparknotes, as a reminder on here I will dig out all my notes and post them on here later :smile: Look and see if there's a York Notes for TKAM (Amazon would be the best place). Cue cards and mind maps and tests. I wanted an A in it too for Lit A-Level, got a B and I'm still doing it at A2 by the skin of my teeth. So I'll post back what I can on TKAM :smile:

Can't help with Triple Science in detail, but check the exam board website, and consolidate the syllabus into notes, into cue cards, etc. Repeating the process gets the core facts into your brain. Get someone to test you on it. I don't know how much colourful mind maps would work for science, but it could be worth a shot! Good luck!
Reply 18
I have no idea what a mockingbird is :colondollar: stupid i know, considering the title. And can you explain that quote about "shoot all the bluejays you want but it is a sin to kill a mockingbird" or something like that

A mockingbird is a songbird that lives in America. :wink:

Basically, that quote is explaining that you shouldn't take advantage of those who have done nothing wrong - as the mockingbird only sings, and doesn't do anything wrong, you shouldn't kill it! So, to apply it to the book, think about Tom Robinson, whose only crime was feeling sorry for Mayella, who ended up being shot by the prison guards. Or Boo, whose punishment was far harsher than he deserved. They are "mockingbirds".
Reply 19
Original post by bazoolium
A mockingbird is a songbird that lives in America. :wink:

Basically, that quote is explaining that you shouldn't take advantage of those who have done nothing wrong - as the mockingbird only sings, and doesn't do anything wrong, you shouldn't kill it! So, to apply it to the book, think about Tom Robinson, whose only crime was feeling sorry for Mayella, who ended up being shot by the prison guards. Or Boo, whose punishment was far harsher than he deserved. They are "mockingbirds".

Thanks, i think i'm beginning to get it, but got loads of time the exams not til may/june :smile: But if mockingbirds just sing, do bluejays do something that justifies them being shot or... :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest