The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kevmeister
I was being pedantic as 'Mars said, and Patrice has learnt a lesson in spelling correctly, so all is right in the world.

And I'm not doing a degree any longer, not this year anyway. :fyi:
So what are you doing?
Reply 61
We should have a sarcasm button on posts
Reply 62
Completely disagree, Antonfigo. It'd be criminal (but typical) of Wenger to change things on the back of a excellent team performance. Apart from the forced change of Cesc, there is no point changing anything. All other teams didn't massacre their starting XI. Man Utd only made one change. Walcott has been back for ages but just not been getting games. There is absolutely no reason to leave him on the bench. Van Persie, too, has had many sub appearances over the past month (and more) to build up fitness.

It should be the same line-up as the Chelsea game but with Rosicky/Arshavin starting instead of Cesc.
Expect Chamakh, Denilson/Diaby, Arshavin, Rosicky to start ahead of Van Persie, Fabregas, Walcott and Wilshere though. :facepalm2:

Original post by Abiraleft

Predictions for tonight?

I predicted a win against Chelsea but have a feeling we'll drop points today. 1-1.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Wilshere is turning into a deep-lying Regista and is becoming brilliant. I ****ing love Walcott. I went for a **** after this match. :biggrin:
Reply 64
3-0 Chamakh, Squillaci from a set piece, Arshavin. Fabianski to save a penalty that's given away by Squill.
Not confident about tonight but we have to win. I think Wenger can change the forwards if he wants, but other than Cesc he should keep the defence and midfield the same. If it's Squillaci and Koscielny starting together again I'll fear the worst. The players better make up for the disaster that was Wigan away last season.
The only changes i'd make would be Nasri to the middle with Arshavin left and perhaps Chamakh for RVP. I'm expecting he'll go with Rosicky for Cesc but i'll be pissed off if he makes changes at the back, Djourou has been our best CB this season but has been treated like our 3rd best (dont buy the nonsense that Wenger is nursing him back in). After two weeks off the team should be able to cope.
Reply 67
We should make changes, but not for rest... for tactical adjustment.

We're away, they'll sit off us more and they will play via the launch to Rodallega. He carries their most significant threat along with Insomnia.

What this means is we need good protection out wide, as well as an outlet to peg back their wings... and we need Djourou to dominate Hugo the same as he did with Drog.

So:

Fabianski
Sagna Djourou Squillaci Clichy
Song Denilson
Wilshere
Walcott Chamakh Nasri

I do think RVP doesn't need to start. Chamakh's aerial threat will be useful in this one and Wilshere can play creator... Denilson and Song should provide adequate stability for the fullbacks to tear it up.

I really like Koscielny, but Squillaci is strong enough to come in for this and is good enough aerially to help Djourou protect against the launch.
Reply 68
Original post by RobbieC
I do think RVP doesn't need to start. Chamakh's aerial threat will be useful in this one.

This. Wigan have the worst set piece record in the league. Crosses aren't so different to set pieces :3, we gotta get some high balls in there once in a while.
Reply 69
Original post by Overmars
Completely disagree, Antonfigo. It'd be criminal (but typical) of Wenger to change things on the back of a excellent team performance. Apart from the forced change of Cesc, there is no point changing anything. All other teams didn't massacre their starting XI. Man Utd only made one change. Walcott has been back for ages but just not been getting games. There is absolutely no reason to leave him on the bench. Van Persie, too, has had many sub appearances over the past month (and more) to build up fitness.

It should be the same line-up as the Chelsea game but with Rosicky/Arshavin starting instead of Cesc.
Expect Chamakh, Denilson/Diaby, Arshavin, Rosicky to start ahead of Van Persie, Fabregas, Walcott and Wilshere though. :facepalm2:

I predicted a win against Chelsea but have a feeling we'll drop points today. 1-1.

i was being wenger-realistic :teehee: . But i agree on your sentiments on not changing winning formula..squad rotation cause inconsistency. However i'd love to see nasri get a crack at the center in his form as rosicky is decent on the flanks- defence wise too.

It would be a damn shame to drop points tonight. We have the squad -but will wenger make the same mistakes again?
Frustrated I couldn't get a ticket for tonights game at Wigan. Haven't got a previous booking history with Wigan but I guess it's because Arsenal will have sold out their allocation and that impacts upon neutrals like yours truly to get tickets in the home stand/s. Not like it's going to be a sell-out tonight ffs. **** Wigan, I hope you win, their policy sucks dick. Spent 10 minutes on the phone/queue to then be told that I would need a previous booking history. Why couldn't there have been a message at the start of the phone call saying as such??!! **** them, I want them raped tonight lads. Can't see you winning the league anyway so you're not a threat. You've been defined as a category B game lads :wink::frown:
I can see Arshavin and Squilacci getting back into the side. Be a tight win that will hopefully put Wigan back into the relegation zone.
Reply 72
Original post by antonfigo
It would be a damn shame to drop points tonight. We have the squad -but will wenger make the same mistakes again?

It's the suspension for Cesc that's the problem. We're so reliant on him it's ridiculous. Even when he doesn't play well he's a good leader. If things start to go slightly wrong, I can't see another player out there that'll be able to rally the troops and get us back on track. First goal is all important, I think.
Reply 73
JK.
OP
Would like to see:

--Szczesny--
-Sagna---Djourou--Squillaci---Clichy-
--Song--
--Nasri----Wilshere--
-Theo-----Chamakh-----Arsh-

But won't :colonhash:

I don't wanna see us change around too much, but the forced absence of Cesc means some shifting needs to be done in the middle. I can't honestly see Theo (if he plays) being as effective tonight with Wigan inevitably sitting deeper than Chelsea did, his pace can still be a threat though. If he isn't played I'd still have Nasri through the middle with Rosicky filling the wide role.

RvP needs more minutes to start getting back to his best, or anywhere near it, but I'm not sure starting him tonight would be the right move. Chamakh's away form, like that of the team as a whole, has been pretty good of late and we should try and make his height and aerial ability count. Ideally, we'd get an early lead and give RvP half an hour at the end.

Disagree with your inclusion of Denilson, Rob. I've never liked the guy and I don't see any reason to possibly risk Barca reducing their supposed 13mil bid for him. :awesome: Wigan have scored less than any other club in the league, if we can dominate the play by pinning them back as we did Chelsea the other day, Djourou should deal with Rodallega and we'll not have many problems, just need to make sure we score. By taking Denilson out and putting in Arshie, who has the joint most assists in the league, I think we'll have a better chance of doing so.

Diaby came back in the other day and I don't think he should be given 90mins, but I think he might be a good option in a game like this. If we start with Nasri in the middle and Theo and Arshie out wide, it might be worth bringing on Diaby for the less effective of the two widemen, playing him through the middle and shifting Nasri back out to his more natural wide place.

We've won 8 of the last 10 against Wigan, the 2 others being that nightmare at the end of last season, though that was a nothing game and I'm fairly certain the other match was on the back of our win at the San Siro a few years ago. I can't see us slipping up tonight but for some reason I'm not fully confident. :s-smilie:

[Expand=Pointless keeper rant :colonhash:]

Original post by Captain92
Wigan have the worst set piece record in the league.

Joint worst. :fyi:

With us. :colonhash:

I still think Szczesny would go a long way towards sorting this out, but I know that's not gonna happen tonight. :frown:

I don't think Fabianski was to blame for the Chelsea goal the other day, but he did little to assert him as the ball came in, his lack of confidence only gives the opposition more. The Chelsea goal that was disallowed after their first was just ****ing ridiculous, Fab made no attempt to go for the ball as it first came in, then stood still as the header slowly went towards his post. He ended up scrambling around after it had already crossed the line and it was just embarrassing, tbh.
Reply 74
Original post by Overmars
It's the suspension for Cesc that's the problem. We're so reliant on him it's ridiculous. Even when he doesn't play well he's a good leader. If things start to go slightly wrong, I can't see another player out there that'll be able to rally the troops and get us back on track. First goal is all important, I think.
RVP can do that same job, and I reckon Wilshere, Nasri and Rosicky can hold the rest together.

Maybe Robin should play to ensure the passion and intensity is maintained.

I would definitely not start Arshavin. Too lazy and uninterested for this type of game... He needs to get the hunger back and he seems much more at it when he comes off the bench in one of these.
Reply 75
Original post by JK.
Would like to see:

--Szczesny--
--Song--
--Nasri----Wilshere--

I don't wanna see us change around too much, but the forced absence of Cesc means some shifting needs to be done in the middle. I can't honestly see Theo (if he plays) being as effective tonight with Wigan inevitably sitting deeper than Chelsea did, his pace can still be a threat though. If he isn't played I'd still have Nasri through the middle with Rosicky filling the wide role.

RvP needs more minutes to start getting back to his best, or anywhere near it, but I'm not sure starting him tonight would be the right move. Chamakh's away form, like that of the team as a whole, has been pretty good of late and we should try and make his height and aerial ability count. Ideally, we'd get an early lead and give RvP half an hour at the end.

Disagree with your inclusion of Denilson, Rob. I've never liked the guy and I don't see any reason to possibly risk Barca reducing their supposed 13mil bid for him. :awesome: Wigan have scored less than any other club in the league, if we can dominate the play by pinning them back as we did Chelsea the other day, Djourou should deal with Rodallega and we'll not have many problems, just need to make sure we score. By taking Denilson out and putting in Arshie, who has the joint most assists in the league, I think we'll have a better chance of doing so.

Diaby came back in the other day and I don't think he should be given 90mins, but I think he might be a good option in a game like this. If we start with Nasri in the middle and Theo and Arshie out wide, it might be worth bringing on Diaby for the less effective of the two widemen, playing him through the middle and shifting Nasri back out to his more natural wide place.

We've won 8 of the last 10 against Wigan, the 2 others being that nightmare at the end of last season, though that was a nothing game and I'm fairly certain the other match was on the back of our win at the San Siro a few years ago. I can't see us slipping up tonight but for some reason I'm not fully confident. :s-smilie:

I still think Szczesny would go a long way towards sorting this out, but I know that's not gonna happen tonight. :frown:

I don't think Fabianski was to blame for the Chelsea goal the other day, but he did little to assert him as the ball came in, his lack of confidence only gives the opposition more. The Chelsea goal that was disallowed after their first was just ****ing ridiculous, Fab made no attempt to go for the ball as it first came in, then stood still as the header slowly went towards his post. He ended up scrambling around after it had already crossed the line and it was just embarrassing, tbh.
I actually would go with your choice there, except Arsh benched for Rosicky. He's a far superior work-rate and will defend and attack with ferocity. We need the grit to break them down... patience and technical ability won't assure anything.

Lots of people bemoan Tomas for some reason. I just don't get it. Okay, he hasn't scored for yonks... but he is one of the most passionate players I see wearing the shirt... he fights for every ball and isn't scared to shoot. Not to mention his footwork is second only to RVP and Cesc...

As for Denilson, Joe, he's worth 15m for sure. The guy consistenly has the highest pass accuracy in the whole team, and he is effective (but not a blunderbuss like Song can be) at disrupting opposition rhythm. He's the perfect glue between Cesc and Song imo and we would be stupid to lose a useful player like that... at least not until Ramsey has returned fully.
Reply 76
We've put out a Carling Cup side. FFS, Arsene. :facepalm2:
Reply 77
JK.
OP
Original post by RobbieC
I actually would go with your choice there, except Arsh benched for Rosicky. He's a far superior work-rate and will defend and attack with ferocity. We need the grit to break them down... patience and technical ability won't assure anything.

Lots of people bemoan Tomas for some reason. I just don't get it. Okay, he hasn't scored for yonks... but he is one of the most passionate players I see wearing the shirt... he fights for every ball and isn't scared to shoot. Not to mention his footwork is second only to RVP and Cesc...

As for Denilson, Joe, he's worth 15m for sure. The guy consistenly has the highest pass accuracy in the whole team, and he is effective (but not a blunderbuss like Song can be) at disrupting opposition rhythm. He's the perfect glue between Cesc and Song imo and we would be stupid to lose a useful player like that... at least not until Ramsey has returned fully.

I see the appeal of Rosicky over Arsh and on a night like tonight I think you may be right, he could well be the better choice. The lack of goals isn't a real issue, tbh and this is the exact sort of game where our attempts to break down a defence fail and it takes someone like Tom to cut inside and smash a 20 yard effort into the top corner. You're gonna have to add Nasri into that list there, though.

I reckon Wenger might start both, with Arsh taking the LW role and Rosicky either playing centrally or out right instead of Theo. Wouldn't do that myself, though. :s-smilie:

The reason Denilson has such a high pass rate is that he only makes the most simple passes, whilst you may need someone to do that job and link the defence with the attack, we'd be better off training a better player to fill the role than sticking with him. He's not defensively great, his tracking back can be woeful and the amount of times he's ****ed up those simple passes and put us at real risk this season isn't great, tbh.
Reply 78
Oh my...

Fabianski
Sagna Squill Kosc Eboue
Denilson
Diaby Rosicky
Bendtner Chamakh Arshavin

I do not like Djourou or Wilshere's absence at all. Diaby to start is also risky... Whether he has an on/off day could be decisive and that is too risky.
Original post by JK.
Would like to see:

--Szczesny--
--Song--
--Nasri----Wilshere--

I completely agree with regards to Denilson, Joe; and like you, I don't rate him whatsoever. I find him completely and utterly useless and if anything, he should be stripped of his Brazilian citizenship unless he starts playing like one.

I do, however, object to starting Arshavin and Wilshere tonight. I'd rather, as you mentioned, start Diaby in Wilshere's stead as I find him far more effective against teams like Wigan, teams we must bully and cannot afford to drop any points against. He's powerful, good in the air and has a commanding presence about him, a sort of young Vieria. As for Arshavin, I rate Rosicky a lot higher than him because he never gives up, but also because of his superiour work-rate. Pity he's injured 24/7.

Latest