The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi! St. Hugh's or French anyone?
Reply 101
Original post by anoif_
Is this Jess Hills from N. Ireland? :smile: It's Fiona (from UNIQ) This will be embarrassing if you have no idea who I am! :redface:

Yes, its me! Of course I remember you Fiona, did you get into Oxford? I spotted that girl, Shirley Ly on here earlier.
Aw it's so nice to see all these people popping up. I haven't met any other PPEists at St Hugh's yet - anyone out there? I'm just so curious! As to what people have said before about meeting loads of nice applicants there, I agree, it's sad (and frustrating that I guess I won't know exactly who's there that I recognise till day 1) that you meet so many people at interview not knowing whether you're ever going to see them again!
Original post by dothesnowdome
Hi! St. Hugh's or French anyone?

French! :smile:
Original post by 04ghicks
That or a I get a lecture about how I should have applied to Durham because its only half an hour from Durham to my front door, but thats just motherly nest keeping kicking in :tongue:

haha, that's weird, I almost got exactly the opposite from my parents...Durham is apparently too close! they wanted me to go to St Andrews I think, seeing as it's where they met...but oh well. Oxford >>>>> everywhere :smile:

where about in Newcastle are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
Do you know when the ucas will be updated??
Reply 106
Original post by Sangin Know
Do you know when the ucas will be updated??

They said it will be updated around January, for all applicants. It's not like our offer will disappear because it's not on ucas, right?
Original post by soutioirsim
Yeah I know exactly how you feel. At the interviews we formed a group of 7, they were nice people. I only know of me and one other person to get an offer.

I dont want other people to think Im complaining or anything, Im just saying Im gonna miss some of the other applicants.

I feel the same. At the moment I haven't found anyone I've met in my college with an offer. (Or I haven't realised it's you if you're one of them! :biggrin:)
One of the downsides to getting into a different college from the one I applied to is that even if everyone I was hanging out with get it, I probably still won't know anyone when I get there.

In fact, the only guy I heard from did get in, but again to a different college
Original post by LtCommanderData
One of the downsides to getting into a different college from the one I applied to is that even if everyone I was hanging out with get it, I probably still won't know anyone when I get there.

In fact, the only guy I heard from did get in, but again to a different college

Don't worry, people from Exeter will be in contact with you shortly. And you'll meet people very soon. We have college families, so you'll have a mum, dad, brothers, sisters, brothers in law, etc. Even great-grandparents if it is a 4 year degree! I'm currently a 1st year biochemist from Exeter college, ox.

Also, UCAS will be updated in Jan/Feb. Just forget about UCAS until you get an E-mail saying your offer has been posted.

And normally there are no forms to fill (except UCAS acceptance) until August.

And if any Exeter or biochemists have questions, you can reply or PM with them!
Reply 110
I'll be an Exeter PPE-ist come October. Anyone else?
Reply 111
Any other Geographers around? :smile: I've got an open offer, so no idea which college.

Nice to meet everyone!
It's PPE at Wadham.

I guess this thread is everything I should avoid right now: procrastination and the feeling I already got in...
I never knew Oxford had its own online shop!

http://www.oushop.com/index.html

I'm tempted to get a jumper :p: Too soon?

Love those jumpers :biggrin: but then I found these reeeeally pretty ones at Oxford, but they're not available at the online shop :frown: and they had college jumpers there as well :biggrin:
I swore if I get an offer I would buy tones :biggrin:

Original post by mapontikos
Don't worry, people from Exeter will be in contact with you shortly. And you'll meet people very soon. We have college families, so you'll have a mum, dad, brothers, sisters, brothers in law, etc. Even great-grandparents if it is a 4 year degree! I'm currently a 1st year biochemist from Exeter college, ox.

Also, UCAS will be updated in Jan/Feb. Just forget about UCAS until you get an E-mail saying your offer has been posted.

And normally there are no forms to fill (except UCAS acceptance) until August.

And if any Exeter or biochemists have questions, you can reply or PM with them!

Oh my god, that sounds so awesome :biggrin: great-grandparents? haha

Anyone for Computer Science or Keble? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lalaberlin

Oh my god, that sounds so awesome :biggrin: great-grandparents? haha

HAHA It is. I was so surprised when I knew my great-grandmother even before anyone told me that she was my great-grandmother. lol idk if keble has a similar system, but you'll be able to make friends with other first years, and the 2nd years of CS will help you out too. :smile:
Original post by mapontikos
HAHA It is. I was so surprised when I knew my great-grandmother even before anyone told me that she was my great-grandmother. lol idk if keble has a similar system, but you'll be able to make friends with other first years, and the 2nd years of CS will help you out too. :smile:

awesome :smile: yep Keble has a similar system, I found out about it the first day I got there for interviews, because some first year undergraduates were talking about getting married and I was looking at them weirdly :biggrin:
Original post by guitarmike456
Their offices are closed and its driving me CARAZYYY

Happy Christmas! ;-)
Reply 117
Original post by flywithemma
haha, that's weird, I almost got exactly the opposite from my parents...Durham is apparently too close! they wanted me to go to St Andrews I think, seeing as it's where they met...but oh well. Oxford >>>>> everywhere :smile:

where about in Newcastle are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Wallsend/ North Shields, you?

And im an only child so I can understand where my parents are coming from, though they should be grateful oxford has short terms :P

Original post by Lucius
Any other Geographers around? :smile: I've got an open offer, so no idea which college.

Nice to meet everyone!

Im geographer-ing at Christ Church :smile: where did you have interviews?

I never knew Oxford had its own online shop!

http://www.oushop.com/index.html

I'm tempted to get a jumper :p: Too soon?

£8.95 shipping is kind of putting me off buying a Mansfield pin for £2.95 ;-)
Original post by lalaberlin
awesome :smile: yep Keble has a similar system, I found out about it the first day I got there for interviews, because some first year undergraduates were talking about getting married and I was looking at them weirdly :biggrin:

LOL I was unsure about it the first time i heard about it, but then it got quite fun. My sister took it quite well and married one of my classmates. But for me, there is only one other person left, but she's in my degree, and you can't marry inside your degree, so i'm still single... mhhh... :P So get married early!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest