The Student Room Group

English question regarding Commas [a, b, and c or a, b and c?]

When listing something, which way is the right one:

1. I want to go to Spain, Italy, and Greece.

2. I want to go to Spain, Italy and Greece.

In other words, when listing 3 or more things, do you use a comma before and or not?

If its for a formal letter, let's say a cover letter, which one would be correct?
The second one
Reply 2
I would use 2.
Reply 3
Don't use the comma before "and".
A comma is not required before the word "and"; it would be number two.
Only Oxford use the comma before 'and'.
Original post by llpokermuffinll

In other words, when listing 3 or more things, do you use a comma before and or not?

If its for a formal letter, let's say a cover letter, which one would be correct?

Also, *it's. :biggrin:
Reply 7

Use 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma
I use 1. It avoids ambiguity. Here's an example using both versions:

1. I would like to thank my parents, Mary, and God.

2. I would like to thank my parents, Mary and God.

See?
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
I use 1. It avoids ambiguity. Here's an example using both versions:

1. I would like to thank my parents, Mary, and God.

2. I would like to thank my parents, Mary and God.

See?

That's right in that situation, but in a list you don't use a comma before and.
In the case you gave, option 2. But sometimes it is a good idea to place a comma before 'and'; often the case when there are other 'and's' in the sentence:

They sold chocolate, chocolate and banana, and strawberry milkshakes. For a very simple example.
Original post by mathew551
Only Oxford use the comma before 'and'.

What do you mean by only Oxford use it?

I mean, do you mean only students and staff at Oxford university use it? Or people following some 'Oxford-Rules' or something?
Reply 12
What do you mean by only Oxford use it?

I mean, do you mean only students and staff at Oxford university use it? Or people following some 'Oxford-Rules' or something?

The comma preceding "and" is often called an "Oxford comma", although it doesn't have that much to do with Oxford. Oxford University Press recommends it, but that doesn't mean it's used throughout the university, and almost certainly isn't used by students and staff (and if any of them do, it's not as a result of being in Oxford or anything).

At school I was always taught not to use it. but frankly, it doesn't really matter whether or not it's used... as long as serious ambiguity doesn't happen, it's fine with or without.
Original post by dothestrand
That's right in that situation, but in a list you don't use a comma before and.

I know what you mean, but even with lists there can still be ambiguity without a comma before and. Here are a couple of examples from the wikipedia link someone else has posted:

Consider also:

My usual breakfast is coffee, bacon and eggs and toast.
Three foods are listed, but it is uncertain which are the second and third. Adding a serial comma removes this ambiguity. With a comma after eggs, the foods are:

1.Coffee
2.Bacon and eggs
3.Toast
With a comma after bacon:

1.Coffee
2.Bacon
3.Eggs and toast

They went to Oregon with Betty, a maid, and a cook.
This is ambiguous because it is unclear whether "a maid" is an appositive describing Betty, or the second in a list of three people. On the other hand, removing the final comma

They went to Oregon with Betty, a maid and a cook
leaves the possibility that Betty is both a maid and a cook (with "a maid and a cook" read as a unit, in apposition to Betty).

I just use a comma before and all the time, it makes it easier, I only don't use it like that in the rare cases where using it before and results in ambiguity, like in the second example where I would reword the sentence. I don't care that I was taught you're 'not meant to' use it like that, I do because I think it's better.
(edited 13 years ago)

The second one. My english teacher always told us to never put a comma before the word 'and' and never to start a sentence with it either. Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 15
I must be the only person told to use a comma before 'and' whilst at school :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending