The Student Room Group

Why does my gf keep doing this? It's getting on my nerves...

Not really sure why my gf does this.. but it does get on my nerves at times and often a bit embarrassing.

Some situations :-

We were shopping at a Morrisons, I decided to go to the fishmonger area while she continued along the aisles, there were 2 Chinese girls trying to buy a salmon and the bloke behind the counter had trouble understanding them... so I tried to help them and also started talking a bit to those 2 girls, they got their salmon and started asking me why I spoke their language so well, then my gf sees me in conversation with them, she quickly pushes the trolley to stand by my side and starts telling them she is the gf.

There was this time we were at a pub, I got on talking to 3 girls that I knew from a conference (they work for a competitor), we exchanged business cards and then we start talking..... my gf comes into the conversation and tells all the 3 she is the gf, then she tells me she wants to go home. I asked her what's wrong she said nothing.

There was this time, I was walking the dog at a a park and one lady I knew her to be the owner of a certain business establishment and got talking to her because I wanted an appointment to see her. My gf was in the park as well and the moment she saw me talking to that lady she quickly comes over and starts telling that lady I am the bf. Then again she said we should go home.

Then there was this time I had just returned from work, I saw this boy trying to paint a plastic model car... he is the son of a neighbour of mine who knows me well. I taught him a few tricks to do it better, and I got talking to my neighbour, she is a middle aged woman with 2 sons. My gf saw me talking to her, again she marches over and quickly tells the neighbour I am the bf and starts saying something to the fact that it was late and she wanted to eat.

The first time it happened was also at a pub, we were still at uni at that time. She dragged me along when she was meeting up with some of her mates, seeing as the conversation was revolving around topics I did not enjoy and I saw one exchange student I knew, I excused myself to talk to her...... we bought a round of drinks and started talking, my gf came by she places her daughter on me and said she was going to the toilet, but before going to the toilet she tells that exchange student she is my gf. She goes to the toilet then she starts hovering around that exchange student and me, we decide to speak in German then since my gf does not understand it... and as soon as my gf realized we were exchanging numbers, she starts asking to go home.

Just curious, why does she keep doing that? Sometimes I would rather she not do that... how could I tell her to not do that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
she seems properly insecure, you need to talk to her about it and ask why she does it

out of interest, how do you react when you see her talking to guys?
Is she always lurking around? Seems like she comes out of nowhere and does the same thing.

I'd be upset too if I found you exchanging numbers with so many other girls. Can't you include her in the conversations? (Esp the last one)

She's just jealous, and there seems to be misunderstanding. But I can't stand either if my boyfriend takes more interest in anothergirl and leaves me in the background.
Jealousy and insecurity. Nothing more, nothing less.
Talk to her about why she does it, maybe reassure her just because you were talking to another girl, doesn't mean you will leave her.
Reply 5
You know exactly why she does it, you know this is a pointless thread.

SHE LOVES YOU, YOU DUMBSH*T.
Reply 6
Original post by Iorek
Not really sure why my gf does this.. but it does get on my nerves at times and often a bit embarrassing.

Some situations :-

We were shopping at a Morrisons, I decided to go to the fishmonger area while she continued along the aisles, there were 2 Chinese girls trying to buy a salmon and the bloke behind the counter had trouble understanding them... so I tried to help them and also started talking a bit to those 2 girls, they got their salmon and started asking me why I spoke their language so well, then my gf sees me in conversation with them, she quickly pushes the trolley to stand by my side and starts telling them she is the gf.

There was this time we were at a pub, I got on talking to 3 girls that I knew from a conference (they work for a competitor), we exchanged business cards and then we start talking..... my gf comes into the conversation and tells all the 3 she is the gf, then she tells me she wants to go home. I asked her what's wrong she said nothing.

There was this time, I was walking the dog at a a park and one lady I knew her to be the owner of a certain business establishment and got talking to her because I wanted an appointment to see her. My gf was in the park as well and the moment she saw me talking to that lady she quickly comes over and starts telling that lady I am the bf. Then again she said we should go home.

Then there was this time I had just returned from work, I saw this boy trying to paint a plastic model car... he is the son of a neighbour of mine who knows me well. I taught him a few tricks to do it better, and I got talking to my neighbour, she is a middle aged woman with 2 sons. My gf saw me talking to her, again she marches over and quickly tells the neighbour I am the bf and starts saying something to the fact that it was late and she wanted to eat.

The first time it happened was also at a pub, we were still at uni at that time. She dragged me along when she was meeting up with some of her mates, seeing as the conversation was revolving around topics I did not enjoy and I saw one exchange student I knew, I excused myself to talk to her...... we bought a round of drinks and started talking, my gf came by she places her daughter on me and said she was going to the toilet, but before going to the toilet she tells that exchange student she is my gf. She goes to the toilet then she starts hovering around that exchange student and me, we decide to speak in German then since my gf does not understand it... and as soon as my gf realized we were exchanging numbers, she starts asking to go home.

Just curious, why does she keep doing that? Sometimes I would rather she not do that... how could I tell her to not do that.

Why DO you speak their language so well?:colonhash:
Reply 7
Just include her in the conversations more?

My gf does similar sometimes but normally only if she is drunk. Like recently we were in a bar and I overheard a girl say she went to a certain uni and it happened to be a uni I used to go to. Ended up talking to her for ages and then eventually my gf came to find me, I introduced her to the girl as my gf and my gf gave her a chronically evil look. The girl promptly left and it was a bit embarrassing but I can understand why she did, it's instinct to a certain extent.
She seems a bit insecure.

Ask her why she does it? She (if she's anything like me) wont admit to it, but if she does, reassure her that these women are just friends.
Reply 9
She is insecure, maybe a bit paranoid because of it.

Just talk to her about it she probably needs reassurance, my girlfreind can be very similar but it can be dealt with if you try to be understanding.
Reply 10
Original post by theths
she seems properly insecure, you need to talk to her about it and ask why she does it

out of interest, how do you react when you see her talking to guys?

I did ask her about it usually by asking her if something is amiss when she wants to go home early. She would always say nothing. On times when I asked her why she did that, she would just say she is the gf and she can do that.

As for how I react... I usually just ignore it and let her be, I trust her to do what she wants. But tbh, I've not seen her talk to any guys and she doesn't really make any effort to get to know any.

Original post by Anonymous
Is she always lurking around? Seems like she comes out of nowhere and does the same thing.

I'd be upset too if I found you exchanging numbers with so many other girls. Can't you include her in the conversations? (Esp the last one)

She's just jealous, and there seems to be misunderstanding. But I can't stand either if my boyfriend takes more interest in anothergirl and leaves me in the background.

Not lurking, she was around. In the supermarket she was just at one of the aisles. On all the times at the pubs, she was there and she had her mates there too. The only one which she appeared from nowhere was the time I was speaking to the neighbour, she was watching from the window.

The conversations, I could have included her I suppose, but usually she comes into the conversation, it is in a manner that immediately kills off the conversation so there is nothing to include her into.

Original post by rhinger
You know exactly why she does it, you know this is a pointless thread.

SHE LOVES YOU, YOU DUMBSH*T.

She still doesn't have to do it that way. I mean some of it I was trying to get to know the other party for business reasons.

Original post by iqlu
Why DO you speak their language so well?:colonhash:

:smile: A Chinese mother, 1.5 years in China, 1.5 years in Singapore...... you reckon you won't know it well? :biggrin:
Jesus Christ that would be annoying. I'd spade her head in next time you're in the park.
Seems an incredibly insecure girl who is very worried about loosing you! But doing so is more likely to push you away

Sensible answer is to talk frankly to her, tell her how you feel about her and what your concerns are, she might just be very insecure as you havent told her enough or given her enough affection (girls need lots of it)

SOme girls are like this all the time no matter what you say, so if after a proper adult conversation you might want to consider your options as it will potentially get much worse as she gets older
Reply 13
Tell her to **** off when she walks over.
Reply 14
Original post by Iorek
I did ask her about it usually by asking her if something is amiss when she wants to go home early. She would always say nothing. On times when I asked her why she did that, she would just say she is the gf and she can do that.

As for how I react... I usually just ignore it and let her be, I trust her to do what she wants. But tbh, I've not seen her talk to any guys and she doesn't really make any effort to get to know any.

i would personally want to punch her if she said that.
if it's bothering you - make it clear to her that you're not her bitch and that you don't appreciate her acting like she doesn't trust you around girls...even middle-aged women, wtf?
you can say it in a nice way, whatever. but she needs to know.
If you don't know how to take advantage of this situation to have unlimited sex with her, you are an idiot. :facepalm:
Reply 16
Original post by montyr
Just include her in the conversations more?

My gf does similar sometimes but normally only if she is drunk. Like recently we were in a bar and I overheard a girl say she went to a certain uni and it happened to be a uni I used to go to. Ended up talking to her for ages and then eventually my gf came to find me, I introduced her to the girl as my gf and my gf gave her a chronically evil look. The girl promptly left and it was a bit embarrassing but I can understand why she did, it's instinct to a certain extent.

It's a bit hard to include her in the conversations. She makes the approach with a very hostile look on her face and pretty much would give that evil look at that other girl. Oh yeah this is when she is completely sober.

Once I tried to include her in a conversation, she will again do the same thing and will either pull me away or she will say she is ___________________ and wants to go home.

Thankfully have not experienced anything of this sort when she is drunk.

Original post by Persephone9
She seems a bit insecure.

Ask her why she does it? She (if she's anything like me) wont admit to it, but if she does, reassure her that these women are just friends.

I tried asking her about it, she maintains that she can do that as she is the gf.

Original post by dnaalpha
She is insecure, maybe a bit paranoid because of it.

Just talk to her about it she probably needs reassurance, my girlfreind can be very similar but it can be dealt with if you try to be understanding.

Understanding in regard to? It's actually very difficult to talk to her about this issue. She will get very defensive about it.

Original post by theths
i would personally want to punch her if she said that.
if it's bothering you - make it clear to her that you're not her bitch and that you don't appreciate her acting like she doesn't trust you around girls...even middle-aged women, wtf?
you can say it in a nice way, whatever. but she needs to know.

Well it does bother me, it's hard to sit her down to talk about this.
Jealous girls are the bane of my existence. It's actually SO annoying. Not just for the boyfriend (I'd assume), but for everyone around them.

My best friend starting dating this clinger, and she didn't like him spending time with my friends and I. He eventually dumped her because she was becoming "a bit much". Haha, she was even jealous of him spending time with his own sister.

I'd say leave her now. It's not worth it, because girls like that can't really change.

Also, depending on how long you've been together, and how serious your relationship is... perhaps you should contemplate couples counseling?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Iorek
I tried asking her about it, she maintains that she can do that as she is the gf.

As the girlfriend she can stop you forming friendships with other girls? :wtf:

Ask her how she'd feel if you did the same to her? Or, more likely to get the message across, do the same to her. (Unfortunately if this doesn't annoy her you may just have to put up with it, or find a better argument than 'you don't like it being done to you, so don't do it to me')
Reply 19
Stop flirting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending