The Student Room Group

university of Warwick vs university of manchester.

I got offers from both university's for maths and physics, However, I'm not sure which university to pick. I'm not even sure If I want to go to one of them. I also got an offer from university of Birmingham, which I really liked. Manchester was much more crowded and I didn't like the road in the middle of the university. I have not seen Warwick yet, but I think their reputation is very high.

my offers:
Birmingham: AAA
Manchester:A*AA
Warwick:A*AA
Reply 1
Warwick!!! Okay, I'm biased, I go there, but I really do love it. I'm abroad right now on Erasmus and I really miss it.
Reply 2
Original post by RADWAN
I got offers from both university's for maths and physics, However, I'm not sure which university to pick. I'm not even sure If I want to go to one of them. I also got an offer from university of Birmingham, which I really liked. Manchester was much more crowded and I didn't like the road in the middle of the university. I have not seen Warwick yet, but I think their reputation is very high.

my offers:

Manchester, the university is on the same road as the curry mile. :borat:
Original post by RADWAN

my offers:

If you didn't think much of Manchester (and you don't seem to have), then don't pick them. Visit Warwick; it tends to polarise opinions. If you don't particlarly like it, then choose Birmingham if you prefer it there.
I'd say go to Warwick first so you know what it's really like for yourself. Either an open day, departmental tour or just arrange a visit. Then make your own mind up about what you feel about it. Once you know what both are actually like, and if you still don't know, ask the question again then. Otherwise you'll just get people having an argument about Warwick and you'll get nowhere really.

In fact the posts above me are already setting the tone for what's probably going to come.
Reply 5
Warwick is the most respectable, I think, for maths - but if you prefer the feel for Manchester by all means go there
Reply 6
Warwick :h: but go there to have a look because it might one that you either really like or don't :ninja: Manchester has Wilmslow Road on the same road pretty much :hubba:
Reply 7
I should have added in my post about visiting. I agree with the idea that it's a Marmite kind of place - you love it or hate it.
Reply 8
Visit them and see which you like the most.

Personally, I would choose Warwick because it I like it's campus and it's got a great reputation - especially for your chosen degree subjects.
Original post by georgia
I should have added in my post about visiting. I agree with the idea that it's a Marmite kind of place - you love it or hate it.

I just pictured a university covered in marmite.:facepalm:
WARWICK...im planning to apply there for 2013. lool
Reply 11
Original post by ViralRiver
I just pictured a university covered in marmite.:facepalm:

Oooooh nom!
Reply 12
I go to warwick now and love it. But it is really a love or hate university, but I'll be honest, university is what you make of it. Most people tend to like it if the people are great, but Warwick is definitely the most respectable but you'll only work hard if you enjoy the place and the course!
Reply 13
Visit both and compare. Additionally look at the modules and see which university offers the course that interests you the most.

Personally, though, I'd opt for Manchester due to the location and atmosphere.
Manchester for student life, Warwick (Coventry/Leamington (sp?)) isn't as big as Manchester for going to places and whatnot.

Warwick for rep, Manchester for student life.
Reply 15
Original post by Roflhahalol
Manchester for student life, Warwick (Coventry/Leamington (sp?)) isn't as big as Manchester for going to places and whatnot.

Warwick for rep, Manchester for student life.

This. (And yes, you did spell Leamington Spa correctly :smile:)

I had to make the decision of whether to apply to Warwick or Manchester a few weeks ago and I chose Warwick. I live five minutes away and go there quite regularly and the campus, in my opinion, is lovely. Manchester is a city university so they are very different (as others have already said).
As for the nightlife, personally I don't think the nightlife in Leam and Cov is as bad as people suggest. Yes, it's clearly not going to be good as a big city, but, there are a selection of places to choose from and I think it's enough for a student to live with. To be honest, I am always slightly sceptical about the motives of people who choose a university based on the nightlife...so basically if the most important thing to you is your actual degree, then Warwick supposedly has the higher reputation. Good luck with your decisions :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending