The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to take clothes back after wearing them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dripping
i remember one time i went out on the town in some new jeans, long story short i soiled myself, anyway the next day i took them back unwashed and the attendant was legally binded to refund me because it was within 24 hours, so i was there embarrassed while she gingerly took them off me.

does this law exist?!
Original post by Peteo
Yes he is buying them, but in reality he isn't as the net result is free. He "gets" designer clothes as he says they wear far better so he can sometimes get away with wearing them for longer before becomign scruffy, apparently, also he may aswell get them as they aren't costing him anymore than primark t shirts...

Yeah but surely no shop would accept it back a few months later when its scruffy and clearly worn!? And what if you want to wear a nice jumper and the label is sticking in your neck its just not right.

Just tell him to stop being so cheap!
Reply 22
What's wrong with screwing millionaires/billionaires out of a few pounds? I think it's a superb idea, especially if you do it at Topman. The boss doesn't even pay tax
This is genius, imo.
Reply 24
I wish I had the time to do this!
Reply 25
i dont know if its illegal but its definitely wrong morally to do this.
Reply 26
It's just about conceivable that it amounts to Fraud by False Representation under s2 Fraud Act 2006.

Most shops would be able to use their returns policy to get out of refunding in such a situation if they found out -but there are so many variables.

Very very unlikely to ever prosecute for this though.
Reply 27
It's not illegal and I also know people who do it, but not to such an extent! :eek:
Reply 28
I've done it for one-off type items that I didn't really feel I could justify buying, like a special dress or something, but for every outfit?! That guy must spend a silly amount of time returning items to shops... the assistants must start recognising him haha
Reply 29
Don't most shops take your name and address when you return stuff to stop serial skanks like this?
I hear from friends who've worked in clothes shops that it's actually a common occurrence, they'll typically get several items back over the course of a weekend which had obviously been worn.

It's a bit grim really. When you buy from a shop you expect them to be first hand.
Reply 31
It's not illegal, but it's definitely not right.

I've never done it & I would never do it!
This is one of the most immoral practices I have heard about.
I don't think I'd want to spend my life constantly afraid that someone would spill something on me and cost me more than I can afford.

In fact I'm sure this is the premise to a Simpsons episode where that happens.
Its not illegal, just a bit immoral. You wouldnt be able to prove that someone had worn the clothes though unless there is obviously a stain/smell of booze or fags etc that wouldnt have been there when the clothes were brought.
That is absolutely disgusting. :puke:

What a skanky git. I'm willing to bet he'll never get a girlfriend/boyfriend if he keeps doing that...
Reply 36
Original post by Life_peer
This is one of the most immoral practices I have heard about.

Urm, you haven't heard of many immoral practices then I guess...

Original post by snowyowl
That is absolutely disgusting. :puke:

What a skanky git. I'm willing to bet he'll never get a girlfriend/boyfriend if he keeps doing that...

He's actuallygets quite above average success with women, all the time i've known him he always has either had a girlfriend, or many relationships with no strings at once, and is really quite desirable (i.e can pull women well in clubs etc)
ALso, I dobut he goes flashing his labels around at girls saying HEY LOOK HOW I GET MY CLOTHES< and if he does it will be later in the relationship. I mean if you found out about his secret, would you honestly dump him if you liked him until you found out LOL?

Maybe they're not all as shallow as you who sounds like they would be put off by it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Peteo

He's actuallygets quite above average success with women, all the time i've known him he always has either had a girlfriend, or many relationships with no strings at once, and is really quite desirable (i.e can pull women well in clubs etc)

Maybe they're not all as shallow as you who sounds like they would be put off by it?

It's hardly shallow to be put off by a complete skank who would rather return dirty, sweaty clothes to the shops he buys them from to avoid paying for anything than actually BUY HIS OWN CLOTHING TO WEAR AND KEEP.
Reply 38
surely he must be limited in this? in that, only so much he can return to the same store, even the same chain

and then he needs to invent new addresses all the time, etc ..

not illegal seeing as more store policy is "must be returned in a sale-able state" and seeing as people try on clothes in changing rooms, long as it doesn't appear used, I can see it happening.
Reply 39
I don't think it's immoral at all. These shops charge way too much for a casual pair of jeans or t shirt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending