The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Fallen
I am going to be putting Oxford as my insurance after Imperial College.

You sir, are a LAD. I'm guessing for computer science though Imperial College is much more respected so your choice makes perfect sense. Plus Imperial College is in London, the centre of everything :biggrin: I'm hoping to get into either LSE or UCL, Oxbridge don't do Economics and Geography :angry:

The look on the Oxford's admissions tutor's face when he realises that you've put Oxford as your insurance = priceless.
Reply 41
Original post by Picnic1
The students with the highest grades or the most naturally talented students don't necessarily want to apply to Oxbridge. It's perfectly possible that, for all Oxbridge's fame and guaranteed high ranking in league tables, the majority of AAA+ students don't. There are a number of reasons including:

1) Oxford or Cambridge don't teach the particular course that they want to study.
2) Oxford or Cambridge don't appeal to them as cities in which to study - or other cities might appeal to them more in a variety of respects. For instance, some might conclude that The Castle in Durham attracts a lot of particular competition and therefore potentially a higher calibre of student than some colleges at Oxford or Cambridge.
3) Some other university might seem better than Oxbridge for a particular subject when the student looks at the particular staff who are teaching there at the time and the particular facilities that are available for that subject.
4) The course content at another university might appeal to them more.
5) An open day might reveal more engaging staff and students at other universities for that particular student's purposes.

I knew someone who applied to Cambridge, was accepted (I think that it was for English) and chose to go to Durham instead. This is possibly partly because Durham is relatively close by and he wanted to became a vicar, which Durham obviously has good standing in. But English at Durham is possibly more competitive in some years than some Oxford or Cambridge colleges anyway.

Good points there. I'm not applying there because of point number 1 and point number 2.
I got an offer from Cambridge for Maths, but turned it down because I got a better vibe from York.

Evidently it's nowhere near as good, and the job prospects are subpar, but I felt I would feel happier there.
Reply 43
A friend told me about the son of one of her mums friends who twice turned down an Oxford offer. I can't be sure on the reliability of the source though.
Reply 44
Original post by The Lad
Yes.

LOL

:rofl:
Reply 45
I recall reading about a student in The Times who turned down Cambridge, if I recall, because he found the tutors holier-than-thou attitude extremely offensive. Apparently, at interview, the vibe was likened to a peon having an audience with royalty or something along those lines rather than a meeting between two academics. He accepted and attended Harvard instead.
Reply 46
I know two medics who got offers from oxbridge but turned them down to go to Leicester
I wish there is some scheme for rejectees to sign up for offer from offer decliners.

Not very sure if I use the existing words.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by im so academic
*subscribes*

:eek: :eek: :eek: Not Cambridge Maths! :facepalm2:

Your so obsessed with oxbridge that if you ever apply and get rejected i would laugh so bad!
Original post by Picnic1
For instance, some might conclude that The Castle in Durham attracts a lot of particular competition and therefore potentially a higher calibre of student than some colleges at Oxford or Cambridge.

What? Seriously? Castle is more competitive to get into than other Durham colleges, let alone Oxbridge? :nothing:

Please elaborate.
Original post by cazzy-joe
I wish there is some scheme for rejectees to sign up for offer from offer decliners.

Well, they already give marginally more offers than there is places, so it's not really necessary.
I know two people who rejected their Oxbridge offers.
One rejected it because he never had any intention of going there but applied simply to prove that he could get in (Yes, he was that kind of a person).
The other applied because he was made to by his parents as a result of pressures that all of his siblings had been there too. He really didn't want to go though, so rejected it.
Original post by BookWormShanti
How come? (I'm not going to do an imsoacademic on you, just genuinely interested, I don't know much about comp sci)

Hey! :hmmm:

That said, putting Oxford as an insurance... :facepalm2:

His choice ultimately. :smile:
Of course! My not-quite-tutorial-partner decided on results day that he'd rather go to Manchester and phoned up Woosta, asking to be released from his offer.

My tutor was not amused but agreed :yes:

I'm very glad he did as well. Two boys was more than enough for me :p:
Original post by DarkSenrine

Original post by DarkSenrine
I got an offer from Cambridge for Maths, but turned it down because I got a better vibe from York.

Evidently it's nowhere near as good, and the job prospects are subpar, but I felt I would feel happier there.

Wow... The Cambridge Maths Tripos is more or less one of the best in the world.

Fair enough, good luck at York.
Original post by therealOG
Just out of curiosity, does anyone on TSR know of someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance or just rejected the offer outright? And why did they do it? I know Oxbridge doesn't appeal to everyone (Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL), but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.

Yh, my friend did it, because he got an offer from Harvard.
Original post by therealOG
Just out of curiosity, does anyone on TSR know of someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance or just rejected the offer outright? And why did they do it? I know Oxbridge doesn't appeal to everyone (Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL), but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.

i know this is a long time ago but my grandpa actually rejected an oxford offer to do medicine, he went to manchester uni instead :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Mann18
People do it every year: http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/school_type.html

Scroll to the bottom, it shows you the average of offers to types of school, and acceptances of those offers.

EDIT: Actually, it only shows maintained acceptances.

No lol. You've completely misconstrued that page. That's the success rate (ie. Acceptances to Applications), the proportion of students OXFORD ACCEPTS (not the proportion of students that accept the offer, lol) vs the total amount of applications.
Reply 58
A friend of mine had offers for Maths at Imperial and Cambridge [I can't remember the other offers], yet he chose Imperial due to the location.
Reply 59
My friend rejected an offer for Medicine at Cambridge... and went to Manchester instead.

He said it's so much effort at Cambridge, and he is one of the laziest guys going...

Latest

Trending

Trending