The Student Room Group

Transferring Uni

Hey everybody,

I have been asking about transferring uni and the university I am interested in has asked me to supply then with transcripts of pending and achieved grades. How do I get hold of a transcript with this information on? Do I have to ask my current uni for this information? I'm not really sure what I have to do.

Cheers,

one_of_these_days
Anyone have any idea? Sorry to be annoying :frown:
Well, who else other than your university will have your academic transcript? Seriously..
Reply 3
Slip me a twenty and I'll sort out an academic transcript for you, no questions asked.
Reply 4
Original post by one_of_these_days
Hey everybody,

I have been asking about transferring uni and the university I am interested in has asked me to supply then with transcripts of pending and achieved grades. How do I get hold of a transcript with this information on? Do I have to ask my current uni for this information? I'm not really sure what I have to do.

Cheers,

one_of_these_days

Seriously, talk to your current academic adviser right away.
Reply 5
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Well, who else other than your university will have your academic transcript? Seriously..

This. I really don't think the question in the OP even needed to be asked :s-smilie: Just email/go in to your uni and ask for one. Jeez.
It was actually more of a question of who I asked. And I was worried going straight to my academic advisor and demanding a transcript would involve an in depth conversation as to why I needed one. I didn't want my current uni to know I was considering leaving until I was sure I'd got a place at the other one.
Reply 7
It was actually more of a question of who I asked. And I was worried going straight to my academic advisor and demanding a transcript would involve an in depth conversation as to why I needed one. I didn't want my current uni to know I was considering leaving until I was sure I'd got a place at the other one.

So? It's none of their business whether you leave or not - they're not going to kick you out for considering leaving or anything :wink: They probably won't even care, my old university didn't give a crap...

Well, that's not going to happen. You need to speak to them before you apply as your UCAS will require an academic reference.
Reply 9
Well, that's not going to happen. You need to speak to them before you apply as your UCAS will require an academic reference.

Actually, when I changed uni I got a new reference from my sixth form college, not my previous university. I suppose I wasn't transferring to the same course though (as I assume OP is)...
Original post by mimimimi
Actually, when I changed uni I got a new reference from my sixth form college, not my previous university. I suppose I wasn't transferring to the same course though (as I assume OP is)...

I was required to obtain one from university staff. Seems weird to get one from your sixth form.
Reply 11
I was required to obtain one from university staff. Seems weird to get one from your sixth form.

The courses I transferred from/to couldn't have been much different from one another, though, so to me it seemed the natural option. My old university barely knew me at all and wouldn't have been able to offer any insight on how good I'd be at studying Russian :tongue: I'd recommend anyone transferring between the same/similar courses to get references from their current uni.

Really though, initially I was just being lazy and called my college up to get my old reference - they were very lovely about the whole thing and said they'd write me an entirely new one... My old reference from the college got me 5 offers first time round (including for Russian at Manchester - the course I wanted to get in for again second time round) hence why I planned to just recycle it.
Reply 12
I'm considering transferring to another university as well but thanks to the Christmas break I have to wait for a while to find out the procedure. Does it just involve getting a reference from your current uni then?
Original post by maddieeeee
I'm considering transferring to another university as well but thanks to the Christmas break I have to wait for a while to find out the procedure. Does it just involve getting a reference from your current uni then?

Yes and personal statement.
Reply 14

At my University, academic transcripts are obtained from Student Administrative Services, not academic staff from within the student's department. These are used for a variety of purposes, including applying for postgraduate study in the final year of an undergraduate course. They are also required for (some) employment opportunities.

Yes, you will need to ask a suitably qualified member of staff for a reference. In order to transfer Universities, you will need to ensure that you meet the general academic requirements. I recommend speaking to your personal tutor. They will be able to arrange for you to visit the Department that you wish to transfer to on an informal basis. However, there is nothing to preclude you from contacting the admissions tutor directly. It may be possible to transfer all or some of the credits that you have already obtained. This will allow you to transfer directly in to the second year, but it is likely that the courses will need to be in the same (or (a) very closely related) discipline(s). In the event that you are offered a transfer place, you will still usually be required to apply through UCAS, but this is just a formality if you already have the agreement of the 'receiving' department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending