The Student Room Group

Insurance choice

Is it possible to pick an insurance choice first without picking a firm yet and making that firm choice later?
Reply 1
I've been wondering this too.. I know what my insurance will be but I'm torn between Nottingham & Lancaster as my firm :/
No, you have to pick them at the same time and decline all of you other choices.
Reply 3
you have to put a firm, you can decide whether or not you want an insurance. you've got ages to decide anyway. UCAS will send you a deadline once you've got all your offers. and remember, if you're not so sure about your 1st choice, you might not even get the grades!

i don't have an insurance as my lowest offer is from my first choice uni.
Reply 4
Oh okay, so they cannot take away the offer even if they have - lets say the course has 32 places and 32 people have chosen it as a firm?
Original post by Benammieh
Oh okay, so they cannot take away the offer even if they have - lets say the course has 32 places and 32 people have chosen it as a firm?

No, they can't, and nor would they want to - not everyone will meet their offers and some will decide against going to (that) uni, so there are always multiple people for each place. For example, a course with 50 places might be aiming to get 200 people actually accepting it as firm or insurance.
Original post by Benammieh
Is it possible to pick an insurance choice first without picking a firm yet and making that firm choice later?

I think you have to choose them at the same time. :frown:
Guy in your sig... :drool: Who is he? :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by ollie82

Original post by ollie82
you have to put a firm, you can decide whether or not you want an insurance. you've got ages to decide anyway. UCAS will send you a deadline once you've got all your offers. and remember, if you're not so sure about your 1st choice, you might not even get the grades!

i don't have an insurance as my lowest offer is from my first choice uni.

It can be worth putting one down anyways even if the grades required are the same/higher. On results day, universities have a lot of discretion as to what to do if you miss your grades. While your first choice may not take you, an insurance choice may be willing to take you even after you've missed the offer. No harm in selecting one as long as you'd be happy to go there.

This happened to one of my friends when I first applied a few years ago. I doubt she'd have got the same offer from them through clearing.
Reply 8
Original post by alibee
It can be worth putting one down anyways even if the grades required are the same/higher. On results day, universities have a lot of discretion as to what to do if you miss your grades. While your first choice may not take you, an insurance choice may be willing to take you even after you've missed the offer. No harm in selecting one as long as you'd be happy to go there.

This happened to one of my friends when I first applied a few years ago. I doubt she'd have got the same offer from them through clearing.

yeah i was thinking of putting durham as my first choice, and nottingham as my insurance, even though they're offering the same grades. cause one might drop their grades?

thanks for that, i think i'll defo do that now.
Reply 9
Original post by diamonddust
I think you have to choose them at the same time. :frown:
Guy in your sig... :drool: Who is he? :tongue:

Ooow that suckss!

Simon Nessman he is a model. arghh he is sooo georgous!! :biggrin:
Original post by ollie82
yeah i was thinking of putting durham as my first choice, and nottingham as my insurance, even though they're offering the same grades. cause one might drop their grades?

thanks for that, i think i'll defo do that now.

I really wouldn't advise that. The likelihood is that neither will drop the grades and you end up without a place. Make sure your insurance has lower grade requirements if at all possible.
Reply 11
Original post by notanumber

I really wouldn't advise that. The likelihood is that neither will drop the grades and you end up without a place. Make sure your insurance has lower grade requirements if at all possible.

Bloomin heck, look at the offers, they're all for the same grades! Not much can be done about it now is there....
Reply 12

i can't do that cause my first choice is durham which offered abb. which was my lowest offer, joint with nottingham. nottingham was always going to be my insurance, but when i heard from durham i realised i wouldn't have an insurance.

i don't want to go any lower than abb because i'm more likely to get A*AC than bbb. so if i end up with those kind of results, i reckon that either durham or nottingham will accept me.

so i'm thinking of putting durham and nottingham. either way i'll put durham, i'll just have to decide whether or not to have an insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending