The Student Room Group

Anyone know Afrikaans

:smile: Basically I love Afrikaans and I want to learn some more. Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Contact the institute of the Afrikaans accent.
Reply 2
Wish I could. Both my parents speak Afrikaans and I'm half-ish SA'n. Never learned it though :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

Contact the institute of the Afrikaans accent.

Lol baie dankie, is jy 'n suid-afrikaner wat my praat nou?
Reply 4
Uhm, no. But I speak Dutch, which is similair, I understand Afrikaans quite well. If you want to learn, buy a guide or something off Ebay.
Reply 5
Original post by TWF
Uhm, no. But I speak Dutch, which is similair, I understand Afrikaans quite well. If you want to learn, buy a guide or something off Ebay.

Weer...ek kan dit praat en verstaaj, maar ek wil 'n man/vrou met wie ek kan dit praat en leer beter.
Original post by Georgey1993
:smile: Basically I love Afrikaans and I want to learn some more. Can anyone help?

If you want help learning a language, then why don't you buy a language learning software??? And why would you wanna learn a language that hardly anyone in the world speaks? Rather learn some sensible languages like

German
Spanish
French
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Arabic
Hindi
Mandarin
Japanese

But you decide to learn Afrikaans... :facepalm2:
Afrikaans guy: "i read your book"
Girl in gym: *smiles* "oh yeah and?"
Afrikaans guy: "and I like your tits"
a friend of mine is afrikaan and she's so dumb.
i'm talking about shouldn't go out in the daytime kind of dumb
Reply 9

I'm gonna put my hands in the air and admit, I've got no idea what afrikaans is.

My first thought was that it was a fool trying to remix Africans.

I feel so clueless. :frown:
Reply 10
Weer...ek kan dit praat en verstaaj, maar ek wil 'n man/vrou met wie ek kan dit praat en leer beter.

Hey, your Afrikaans is pretty good lol. But it's full of grammatical errors, but I know in Afrikaans you order certain words differently to Dutch, I think? You could speak to some Afrikaaners online, and practice. Weet niet zeker of je een normaale conversatie in Nederlands met een Afrikaanse spreekende persoon kan hebben.
Reply 11

So you basically looking for a person to talk in Afrikaans? that's hard to find.
I only met two persons who can speak that language, one was my teacher and the other was a colleague.
Reply 12
Original post by llpokermuffinll
If you want help learning a language, then why don't you buy a language learning software??? And why would you wanna learn a language that hardly anyone in the world speaks? Rather learn some sensible languages like

German
Spanish
French
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Arabic
Hindi
Mandarin
Japanese

But you decide to learn Afrikaans... :facepalm2:

I already speak 2 of those :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by TWF
Hey, your Afrikaans is pretty good lol. But it's full of grammatical errors, but I know in Afrikaans you order certain words differently to Dutch, I think? You could speak to some Afrikaaners online, and practice. Weet niet zeker of je een normaale conversatie in Nederlands met een Afrikaanse spreekende persoon kan hebben.

Naa not really. the conversation will be difficult to keep up, but will be understandable to great degree after you get used to the person you are talking to.
Reply 14
Original post by TWF

Ek kan verstaan jy! Ek dink ek het gemaak baie (errors)- e.g. verstaaj, wat die heck!? verstaan (ekskuus!).

Is jy nederlands?
Reply 15
Ek kan verstaan jy! Ek dink ek het gemaak baie (errors)- e.g. verstaaj, wat die heck!? verstaan (ekskuus!).

Is jy nederlands?

Ja, ik ben Nederlands. Versta of verstaan lol. En wat is ''jy''? Bedoel je ''jij''? of meschien is het anders in Afrikaans, ik weet niet :/

Original post by monkeyDace
Naa not really. the conversation will be difficult to keep up, but will be understandable to great degree after you get used to the person you are talking to.

I watched a vid on Youtube, and I could hardly understand the guy, but then again some others are easier to understand... this is the guy I'm having difficulty with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrnaUJizHCc
Original post by Attlee_party
Afrikaans guy: "i read your book"
Girl in gym: *smiles* "oh yeah and?"
Afrikaans guy: "and I like your tits"

lol :tongue:
Original post by llpokermuffinll

German
Spanish
French
Italian
Portuguese
Russian
Arabic
Hindi
Mandarin
Japanese

And English, mate, and English.:colondollar:
Original post by Yawn11
I'm gonna put my hands in the air and admit, I've got no idea what afrikaans is.

My first thought was that it was a fool trying to remix Africans.

I feel so clueless. :frown:

You can put your hands wherever you want.:colone: We cannot see what you are doing with them anyway...:rolleyes:
Original post by SoulfulBoy
And English, mate, and English.:colondollar:

You wouldn't have understood what I said, if you didn't know English already. That's why there is no point mentioning it there. Retard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending