The Student Room Group

Future medics - how empathetic are you?

When you see a beggar on the street, what goes through your mind? What do you usually do (be honest!)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll give change. Although I'll openly admit, I'll avoid the gold coins. 50ps and lower.
Original post by shaneli
When you see a beggar on the street, what goes through your mind? What do you usually do (be honest!)?

I feel horrible. Specially if someone asks me something I can hardly say no. really wish I could help most beggars or severely ill patients. SPecially the beggars with such good voices in underground every day or the really old ones :frown:. I've promised myself to donate 5% of my salaries to a charity when I get graduated.
But in reality, I'm a bit poker faced. I hardly show emotions which even made me lose a relationship with someone. I guess I have to practice harder
Original post by shaneli

sod all because I know a large proportion of beggars use the money for alcohol or drugs.

Much better to give money to a charity such as shelter
Reply 4
I go to the shop and give them food instead of money, just to prevent the chance that they might use the money to buy drugs and alcohol. I mean food is what they want right?
Reply 5
Less empathetic than we claim to be on anonymous internet forums.
Reply 6
Original post by islanders
I'll give change. Although I'll openly admit, I'll avoid the gold coins. 50ps and lower.

Realistically, I really wouldn't give money. Food like a sandwich from Tesco (ask them beforehand, if you can), or homeless shelter vouchers (most places offer them) are far more helpful.

Original post by Faith01
I mean food is what they want right?

Far more likely to be shelter, tbh, especially in the winter. Of course you can always ask them!
(edited 13 years ago)
as stated before, donate to charities and shelters as to be sure they dont use it for drugs or alcohol..

most of us volunteer or work somewhere to help people, so I guess our subconsious is balanced out...
Reply 8
Original post by shaneli
Not much. I see more of them at work than on the street.
Reply 9
Original post by Fight-or-Flight
I feel horrible. Specially if someone asks me something I can hardly say no. really wish I could help most beggars or severely ill patients. SPecially the beggars with such good voices in underground every day or the really old ones :frown:. I've promised myself to donate 5% of my salaries to a charity when I get graduated.
But in reality, I'm a bit poker faced. I hardly show emotions which even made me lose a relationship with someone. I guess I have to practice harder

I too promised myself that I'll give 10% of my salary to the needy, when I saw a homeless man sleeping in the cold in London last week.
I was deeply troubled by it for a few days.
What if all you generous applicants wander by a group of homeless people, would you give up coins to all of them? Which could be in total worth a lot.
Reply 11

Exactly this :yep:
Reply 12
Original post by shaneli

what's empathy??
Reply 13
Kinda feel like "damn poor guy" but I know can't properly help them so I just move on.
ooh i never thought of buying them food rather than just giving money! although around here i've only ever once seen a beggar :s-smilie:
though i'm always worrying as to how they survive in these such extreme colds and snow showers... i don't know how they cope!
I wonder how they got there....but in reality, its much better to give to charities such as shelter as your money will help more people...

but I too am quite poker faced and do not show my emotions which makes people think I'm quite cold
Meh. I have enough people to worry about (at home and at work). Limitless empathy just wears me out.

(I may just be having a bad day. Ask me again when I haven't just finished a run of ****ty christmas nights.)
This sounds like an interview question :rolleyes:
Reply 18
ahh macca, just be poker faced to that beggar tommorrow. its what everyone else does in london, and you need to learn to fit in when you live in the big city.

but i love the bit in italics haha!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Eloades11
What if all you generous applicants wander by a group of homeless people.
nice idea, macca. they might give me a fair amount of coins between em. i am just a level 1 beggar after all heheh.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply