The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by fredbol
i have been told by people who have worked in london that an economics degree from ucl/lse makes you even more employable than the equivalent degree from oxbridge, is there any truth in this?

LSE is on par with Oxbridge for employability (in the City at least)...UCL is a bit further back. Though, most people with a suitable degree from any of these four shouldn't find it impossible to find a job in London.
Reply 761
Original post by fredbol
i have been told by people who have worked in london that an economics degree from ucl/lse makes you even more employable than the equivalent degree from oxbridge, is there any truth in this?

I agree with the person above, in the university tables, for employability, LSE is pretty much at the top :biggrin:
Reply 762
Original post by fredbol

I agree that internationally, Oxbridge is likely to be better known but what it really comes down to is the level of achievement in your degree. A 1st from Oxbridge will be much more useful than anywhere else because students who take the degree are thought to learn upto a Masters level, i.e after a certain period of time from graduation you can pay money to change your Bachelors degree to a masters, I believe. However a student who achieves a 2.1 from Oxbridge will be less employable than someone who has achieved a 1st from LSE or UCL. Generally, it is considered easier to achieve a 1st from UCL or LSE (though still very difficult) and it must be noted that a 1st is by no means the norm, therefore its worth considering where you think you can achieve most highly in contrast to other students. Its hard to judge whether studying in London will benefit you getting a job in London (it seems this suggestion is due to practicality and convenience for employers) even though city firms actually travel to Oxbridge and sign up students directly on careers days.
Reply 763
Original post by Mdawg
Were you in the TSA that got delayed like 10 minutes, and the supervisor guy had left his Facebook on all the computers?

no... nothing went wrong in mine, unless you count my complete failure (but i'm sort of resigned to being rejected because everyone has much better predictions and stuff than me)
but good luck!!
i think we find out on the 6th of january?
:eek:
Reply 764
Original post by frodalod
Did you happen to have yours in the morning, around 11:30?

why yes i did
were you there
this is quite weird
were you there too??
you haven't heard anything have you?
good luck!! :eek:
Reply 765
Original post by plinguu
why yes i did
were you there
this is quite weird
were you there too??
you haven't heard anything have you?
good luck!! :eek:

Yes where were u sitting, i was just by the entrance door, second computer along haha Found the thing on Rostow quite hard to follow tbh, i thought it went awefully all in all. No i've heard we find out on the 5th so.....good luck also.
okay can someone please be honest and blunt with me, I have applied for economics and statistics at UCL I havent heard anything from UCL!
My GCSE grades are 5A*'s and 5A's
My As level grades are 3A's and a B
and My A2 predictions are 2A* and an A

Do you think I have been rejected? :frown:
Reply 767
Original post by urghhh
what are your grades like mate?

9A*s 3As
AS: 3A's and a C
Predicted 3A*s

Good luck, im sure you'll hear
Reply 768
Original post by frodalod
Yes where were u sitting, i was just by the entrance door, second computer along haha Found the thing on Rostow quite hard to follow tbh, i thought it went awefully all in all. No i've heard we find out on the 5th so.....good luck also.

are you freddie??
i was right by the door
i'm ali
if you are who i think, i'm the girl who you were following for interviews
Reply 769
Original post by plinguu
are you freddie??
i was right by the door
i'm ali

Did you have your maths interview about 10.45? I think you may have been following me if so.

Also this thread has gone so far OT :tongue:
Reply 770
Original post by Mdawg
Did you have your maths interview about 10.45? I think you may have been following me if so.

Also this thread has gone so far OT :tongue:

no
i had the tsa at 11.30 (with someone else called frodalod who applied to jesus for economics as well)
then lunch
then was late to reading the pack about development (did you get the same one?)
non maths interview at 2.20
then 3.00 maths interview i think
it was a bit of a trauma tbh
and the thread is a bit off topic
oh well :tongue:
Reply 771
Original post by Jonathan53
okay can someone please be honest and blunt with me, I have applied for economics and statistics at UCL I havent heard anything from UCL!
My GCSE grades are 5A*'s and 5A's
My As level grades are 3A's and a B
and My A2 predictions are 2A* and an A

Do you think I have been rejected? :frown:

i don't think so
a lot of people i know with amazing grades haven't heard anything, so the delay doesn't mean anything
and your grades are really good! don't worry and good luck
Thanks very much. Good luck to you too!!! :smile: :smile:
Reply 773
Original post by plinguu
are you freddie??
i was right by the door
i'm ali

yeh haha thats so weird, hows the offers going??? Do tell me if you get in or not, apparantly we hear on the 5th x
Reply 774
Course: Economics
University: City
Offer: AAB

Happy days.
has anyone got an offer/ rejection from UCL for economics with eastern european studies?
/ has anyone applied for it and get the email saying they'll get back to you in january?
Original post by teshnit
Kinda obvious problem you threw yourself into, maths and further maths both show mathematical skills, so really massive overlap, and then business and economics overlap, so if you generalise you've done 2 subjects :\ But good luck with warwick!! was it L100 Birmingham rejection or a economics variant?

Maths and Further Maths do not overlap in the same way Economics and Business Studies might, and they are certainly not considered as one subject.
Reply 777
Original post by Chelle-belle
Maths and Further Maths do not overlap in the same way Economics and Business Studies might, and they are certainly not considered as one subject.

how do you know, have you got a contact within every university's admissions department? the speaker at oxford's E&M open day clearly stated they strongly prefer candidates to have, and i quote, taken something like maths and chemistry over taking maths and further maths.
Reply 778
Original post by Chelle-belle

I said said they are one subject, however i did say or at least attempted to say was FM and Maths overlap in showing mathematical ability, its definitely an extension, and shows you got a strongER maths ability, but some universities like to see a balance of ability.
Reply 779
Original post by pow!
how do you know, have you got a contact within every university's admissions department? the speaker at oxford's E&M open day clearly stated they strongly prefer candidates to have, and i quote, taken something like maths and chemistry over taking maths and further maths.

To be fair, however, places like LSE and most Cambridge colleges would prefer Further Maths over Chemistry any day. Whereas, it is universally accepted Business Studies and Economics is not a good combination to have for most, if not all, Unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending