The Student Room Group

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Bull****. The majority of candidates that goes there for the prestige will get weeded out. And the ones that do get in, well, would it really matter?

So they don't get in unless they do in which case who cares?

Is this an argument?

Why not? They're still universities?

So I could expect you to beat Mike Tyson in a fight, no? Why not? You're both human.

Classics is an extremely tough degree which you need a knowledge of Latin and/or Greek to complete. I'd like you to see you study it.
Theology is a respectable and highly academic arts degree comparable with History or English Literature.
As for Music - oh come on! Of course that is a respectable degree, especially at a music conservatoire.

This has nothing to do with the point I made or the point you made which I was responding to. You said nobody "needs" to study advertising, well nobody "needs" to study anything.

When it comes to education you are not dealing with needs you are dealing with wants, you need to establish wants before you can have needs and if you want a degree in advertising you need to go to university.

I'm sick of you trying to defend certain universities, and I'm shocked you can even dare criticise Oxbridge and Classics degree. :zomg:

Calm down. :rolleyes:

I am not prepared to learn Latin because I don't have the time and it's not worth the effort, that doesn't mean I am not capable of learning Latin.

If a kid is allowed to focus solely on their education and they have the inclination they'll do well but not everyone has that luxury, I don't think many old etonians worry about potential stabbings during the course of their day or have to deal with even a fraction of the **** the me and the kids on my estate did.

I'm sure both Oxford and Cambridge have a few freaky "beautiful mind" type geniuses scattered about the place but the vast majority will be upper or upper-middle class kids who went to good schools and were relatively sheltered.

They were just good boys and girls who did as they were told knew what was expected of them and got lucky. I don't begrudge them that but I'm not going to look upon them with terrible awe as the golden gods of academia.

Oxbridge is a bubble which most people do not care about. Is it a golden key to certain careers? Of course it is, two thirds of the cabinet are Oxbridge graduates as are most high ranking civil servants, the governor of The Bank of England god knows how many heads of state and overpaid drones of various corporations.

I don't even begrudge that.

What does bother me is when people who know nothing of the world outside of their little bubble pontificate about the the ailments of society and what needs to be done to fix them, you do this all the ****ing time as do most Oxbridge graduates with a public platform.

You're transfixed on this highly personalised and very rigid definition of the word academic, it's just a ****ing word. You want to sell millions of kids down the river to protect your own personal definition of a word?

I will defend "certain" universities because I can and thus far it has been ridiculously easy for me to do so.

More than that though it's important to offer up the counter points because you can say whatever you want about some universities on here and it will stick forever whether it's true or not, for example that thing about Tesco not hiring anyone from TVU.

The source of that comment was one post on this forum like 8 years ago and that is brought up quite often even though the claim has never been verified, if I or someone else was around 8 years ago maybe we'd at least have evidence to support that claim.

I don't argue in defence of TVU out of pride you can say whatever you want as long as it's true but I have to say if TVU was half as bad as people make it out to be they wouldn't need to lie and exaggerate.
Most ex-poly universities aren't known to be very good...
Original post by Wozzie

Original post by Wozzie
x

As per usual, being over-the-top defensive of one's university. :rolleyes: Just flogging a dead horse.
Original post by Nichrome
:confused: I definitely went there for an education.

I'm not passing comment on STEM or Medicine, the merits of those subjects should be obvious to everyone here.

I'm just making a point about how subjective the worth of a subject is, the point being a subject is either worth studying at degree level or it isn't. You can't have Law as a valid subject at Oxford and a waste of time and resources at Herts.

If a subject like music is perfectly valid to study then why not film? Why not animation?

I'm not for or against any degrees, I think people should be free to plan their future as they see fit but not everyone does.
Original post by Wozzie
I'm not passing comment on STEM or Medicine, the merits of those subjects should be obvious to everyone here.

I'm just making a point about how subjective the worth of a subject is, the point being a subject is either worth studying at degree level or it isn't. You can't have Law as a valid subject at Oxford and a waste of time and resources at Herts.

If a subject like music is perfectly valid to study then why not film? Why not animation?

I'm not for or against any degrees, I think people should be free to plan their future as they see fit but not everyone does.

Fair enough, after seeing some of the students there I think you have a valid point in many cases.
Also, with regards to the polytechnic's being "dumb" Arabic is a hard language to learn, and I don't want to sound arrogant or anything but I picked that up quite easily, and learned some urdu in the process :biggrin: Just because you go to an ex-poly doesn't make you "dumb"
As per usual, being over-the-top defensive of one's university. :rolleyes: Just flogging a dead horse.

:toofunny:

See you when I need to call you on the exact same bull**** using the same arguments with different words only to have you skulk off after a few hour on a carbon copy of this thread next week. :wavey:
Original post by Wozzie

Bull**** - you get a top quality education at one institution, and the other, well, I wouldn't.

You cannot compare those subjects. Music can be studied academically and only those who have a "special gift" can acclaim to the highest points of Music. For some careers, you need a top-quality music education to get anywhere, or even to harness one's education of the subject etc etc.

Film/animation - yeah, because there are such things as "film conservatoire" or "animation scholarships". :rolleyes:
Original post by Wookie42
Its not about that. Before I start you should also know I'm not at university and am a 2011 applicant. A 2011 applicant for much lesser universities than Oxbridge or even top 10. In fact, I've only applied to two Russell Group universities.

It does sound incredibly snobbish to say Oxbridge students work harder than others, but there is a difference - especially in the final year. I won't hang onto this though since not only does it make me look like a massive snob, but of course I appreciate how hard students work at other universities. This isn't easy to measure anyway so was a bit of a foolish point to make.

I know what you mean, but post 1992 universities will never be as old as Oxbridge. I hope you understand how that works?

Oxbridge students have far superior teaching to those at (for the sake of argument) Sheffield Hallam. My sister who has just graduated was taught almost 1 to 1 for most of her studying - very few other places offer that. Another fundamental is that the content of the degree is simply harder to get through. Don't believe me? Compare it for yourself - I can only speak for English in this aspect, but the reading list my Sister was crazy compared to some of her friends at 'lesser' universities.

So the basic two things I'm trying to convey are that as you move up the league tables the difficulty of a degree generally increases, and at Oxbridge teaching is more superior due to the nature of how it works there. I didn't really want to get into an argument about this and I am by no means an Oxbridge snob, I just think you're being short sighted when you say that a degree from any UK university is going to be worth the same as each other. Just as an example, for IB there is a list of universities that the major firms select students from - many even have systems where if you aren't holding a degree from that list you're filtered out all together or your application loses points.

So basically you are a schoolkid with no personal experience of university and you are talking to someone with two degrees and a professional qualification from three different universities. Hmmm.
if a student has basically failed their A'levels, there is no way they should be allowed to waste taxpayers money having even more education at a higher level. so any university that lets them do that is obviously run terribly

It is for this reason that raising the cap on university fees may actually be a good thing
University of Highlands and Islands.
Students per place: 0.6
Dropout rate: 40%
Proportion of 1sts and 2:1s: Mostly unclassified.

But it is also a beautiful place, brilliant for mature students and very convenient for Gaelic students.
Just because I wouldn't go, doesn't mean others shouldn't.
Original post by John Major
University of Highlands and Islands.
Students per place: 0.6
Dropout rate: 40%
Proportion of 1sts and 2:1s: Mostly unclassified.

But it is also a beautiful place, brilliant for mature students and very convenient for Gaelic students.
Just because I wouldn't go, doesn't mean others shouldn't.

Off topic... but I was planning on creating a John Major account :frown:
Reply 332
Bull**** - you get a top quality education at one institution, and the other, well, I wouldn't.

You cannot compare those subjects. Music can be studied academically and only those who have a "special gift" can acclaim to the highest points of Music. For some careers, you need a top-quality music education to get anywhere, or even to harness one's education of the subject etc etc.

Film/animation - yeah, because there are such things as "film conservatoire" or "animation scholarships". :rolleyes:

Bull**** Bull**** Bull**** Bull**** Bull**** Bull****

I have never read such an atrocious post! Well done matey.

Have you attended Herts? No.

Have you met anyone who went to Herts? No.

What makes you a judge to say what Uni is good or bad? Pathetic league tables.

You would't because it's your choice.

I still cannot believe that post. Such a close minded individual.

A degree is a degree.

But you'd still become a lawyer, if you desired.
Original post by TheSownRose

But you'd still become a lawyer, if you desired.

Reading the law forums, you really think you would become a barrister with a 3rd in Law from Hertfordshire?
Original post by Xannny

Original post by Xannny
Bull**** Bull**** Bull**** Bull**** Bull**** Bull****

I have never read such an atrocious post! Well done matey.

Have you attended Herts? No.

Have you met anyone who went to Herts? No.

What makes you a judge to say what Uni is good or bad? Pathetic league tables.

You would't because it's your choice.

I still cannot believe that post. Such a close minded individual.

A degree is a degree.

A degree is NOT a degree.
Reading the law forums, you really think you would become a barrister with a 3rd in Law from Hertfordshire?

I never said barrister. We don't all want to be the top of our game, some people would be perfectly happy just being a high street solicitor.

Also, who said anything about a 3rd? People at Hertfordshire can get a 2.1, you know...
Reply 337
A degree is NOT a degree.

Yeah ok.

I have to say your posts tonight have really made my night, I have seen some hilarious posts on the boards, however, yours top the lot.

And if a person wanted to become a Barrister and attended Herts, they could easily become one, if they are that dedicated they will be determined enough to get a first or 2.1. Furthermore, Herts entry requirements last time I checked were ABB, not exactly letting anyone in now is it?

You cannot make silly genrelisations like you have just done.

I never said barrister. We don't all want to be the top of our game, some people would be perfectly happy just being a high street solicitor.

Also, who said anything about a 3rd? People at Hertfordshire can get a 2.1, you know...

A barrister is a type of lawyer. There is every possibility of getting a 3rd at Herts, just like getting a 2:1.

Some people aim for the top. Judging by that comment, you're more or less assuming the people go to Herts don't aim for the top. :rofl:

'Nuff said.
A barrister is a type of lawyer. There is every possibility of getting a 3rd at Herts, just like getting a 2:1.

Some people aim for the top. Judging by that comment, you're more or less assuming the people go to Herts don't aim for the top. :rofl:

'Nuff said.

But I didn't specify. And yes, they can ... but so can people at Oxbridge.

It's not the best place to aim for the top from, but far from impossible, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending