The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My cuz rejected Cambridge for Darmouth College in the U.S.
hhmmmm.....
Reply 82
VV brown rejected oxford to pursue her music career.
My cousin rejected medicine at Oxford for Imperial. He didn't want to go to Oxford in the first place, just put it on his choices for the satisfaction of rejecting it :P
Reply 84
my brother did lol
Reply 85
My friend's brother's girlfriend's aunt's cousin did. I have never forgiven her... Oh, except I did too, for personal reasons.
Reply 86
Original post by therealOG
Just out of curiosity, does anyone on TSR know of someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance or just rejected the offer outright? And why did they do it? I know Oxbridge doesn't appeal to everyone (Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL), but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.

Cambridge refused my mum for her degree stating that she wasn't up to their academic standards so she went else where got a first in English lit and her tutor put her forwards for a place at Cambridge. Cambridge offered her an a place she told them to go **** themselves as they weren't prepared to take a punt on her as a mature student and wouldn't want to go to a department that outright refused her for not being good enough.
Reply 87
Original post by im so academic
*subscribes*

:eek: :eek: :eek: Not Cambridge Maths! :facepalm2:

Ya know, it's going to be beautifully ironic if Oxbridge reject you when you apply.
Original post by x.Lauren.xXx

Original post by x.Lauren.xXx
OMGOSH: How my cousin made me sick. The bitch gets an offer after attending one of the roughest schools in the country and banging out her multiple A* grades. Then she rejects ENGLISH at OXFORD UNIVERSITY for english at BRUNEL>. Obvo brunel is a decent university but c'moonnn English at oxford.....the job opportunities and the prestige is unchallenged by any university....arghhh I nearly killed her. And the worst thing is she was like 'Oxfords not for me' so I'm like then why apply and take someones space bitch!!! - arghhhhh ....
Ive been looking for a place to vent my anger for ages :colondollar:

Oxford English for Brunel????!!! Fair enough Durham, Bristol and the like (but even then...)

That is simply an insult to the University of Oxford.
I've heard of people who have. I think it's totally understandable, the environment there wouldn't suit everybody.
Reply 90
Well obviously. Why wouldn't there be? People do change their minds. I'm certainly considering if by some slim, minute chance I got an offer. But considering rejecting an offer from Cambridge and actually rejecting an offer from Cambridge are very different things. I will admit that it does take courage to reject Oxbridge. I can't imagine the expression on admission tutor's faces when they see an applicant insuring them. Some people think it's crazy or wrong to insure or even completely reject an Oxbridge offer. But it's not. Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all and certainly doesn't suit everyone and some people realise that later than others.
If I do get an offer, I'd only consider rejecting it if I really wanted to live in London
Original post by Scrubby
Well obviously. Why wouldn't there be? People do change their minds. I'm certainly considering if by some slim, minute chance I got an offer. But considering rejecting an offer from Cambridge and actually rejecting an offer from Cambridge are very different things. I will admit that it does take courage to reject Oxbridge. I can't imagine the expression on admission tutor's faces when they see an applicant insuring them. Some people think it's crazy or wrong to insure or even completely reject an Oxbridge offer. But it's not. Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all and certainly doesn't suit everyone and some people realise that later than others.

Hallelujah, a Cambridge applicant that shares the exact same sentiments as me!
Reply 93
Original post by therealOG
You sir, are a LAD. I'm guessing for computer science though Imperial College is much more respected so your choice makes perfect sense. Plus Imperial College is in London, the centre of everything :biggrin: I'm hoping to get into either LSE or UCL, Oxbridge don't do Economics and Geography :angry:

The look on the Oxford's admissions tutor's face when he realises that you've put Oxford as your insurance = priceless.

Lol :P
Well I have lived in London all my life, so it doesn't mean that much to me. I don't think I would enjoy moving to a small town, but Oxford is big enough for me :smile:

Original post by BookWormShanti
How come? (I'm not going to do an imsoacademic on you, just genuinely interested, I don't know much about comp sci)

I much prefer the course at Imperial, basically.

It was a ridiculously hard decision, as I adore the college I applied to (Keble) and the staff and other students are amazing.
That said, at the end of the day I am applying for the course, and I think I stand a better chance of getting a first in a course I am truly passionate about. I am still worried though about IC because I am not sure about the social lives of most Computer Scientists there...
Reply 94
One guy I know put Oxford as insurance and firmed Imperial, because Oxford didn't ask for A* while Imp did.

I was shocked at the beginning, but can you do? they both excellent unis.
Reply 95
A girl at my school rejected Oxford to go to Harvard instead. Fair enough, I guess.
Original post by Mr Fish
Your so obsessed with oxbridge that if you ever apply and get rejected i would laugh so bad!

Sorry, meant to pos rep you not neg you!
Original post by im so academic
Oxford English for Brunel????!!! Fair enough Durham, Bristol and the like (but even then...)

That is simply an insult to the University of Oxford.

Why are you so obsessed with Oxbridge? I assume she had her reasons.
Reply 98
Not exactly as you described in the OP (did they even have UCAS in the eighties?) but my uncle got into Oxford but dropped out in the first term and went to Swansea instead.
Reply 99
Original post by Fallen
I much prefer the course at Imperial, basically.

It was a ridiculously hard decision, as I adore the college I applied to (Keble) and the staff and other students are amazing.
That said, at the end of the day I am applying for the course, and I think I stand a better chance of getting a first in a course I am truly passionate about. I am still worried though about IC because I am not sure about the social lives of most Computer Scientists there...

Meh, the CompSci offer holders on the Imperial threads sound particularly lovely and sociable! :biggrin:

That said, however, I doubt very much that the few who hole themselves up whilst at Imperial are only CompScis. Also my guide said that just about most who end up at Imperial generally have good social lives ^^

---

Back on topic, however...nearly half the Oxbridge applicants from school this year were foreign students (HK-ers) who came to the country for 6th Form. I find it funny that these people cannot even comprehend the thought of people even *thinking* about rejecting Oxbridge (even if these people had a good reason to - course/environment not quite right, etc.)

But then again, it's because Oxbridge is so prestigious abroad. They've yet to learn that your worth shouldn't be defined by the college/uni you end up at. :P

I myself applied to Oxford, and was psyched about getting an interview; though I was already mentally prepared for a rejection before that (what with the record numbers of [re]applicants...!) Post-interview, I then decided that Oxford's course structure (for Engineering - I wanted to do Biomed Eng) and college environment was a bit of a niggle for me - plus, I felt more at ease at Imperial (slightly sadistic interview process and admissions tutors ain't quite up my alley!)

Had I gotten an offer, I think I would've ultimately rejected it/put it as insurance. But I'm glad I got rejected; it means someone else who really wanted it (I hope) is now over the moon ^^ And it's less of a headache for me, because making a choice is so much easier!

At the end of the day, prestige or not, people need to remember that Oxford and Cambridge are just universities; not some kind of Eden or Nirvana (imsoacademic and some other people might slaughter me now, but hey, that's the truth. :tongue:) And they have their flaws, too; it's not one-size-fits-all!
Well, that's how my family and I saw it anyway - and no, we're not "posh" or privileged; just average, bitter-free middle-class Malaysians (where most of our country are like "OMG OXBRIDGEEEE--") :wink: I'm sure others here share my sentiments though...
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending