The Student Room Group

if you are pakistani/north indian which caste are u and do you think its important

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by de_monies
Bunty fair enough, but the people here don't seem to care really about caste

as someone above mentioned, those of the lowest/lower caste won't mind because they can only hope to marry up, but those of the highest/high caste will mind and affect their attitude towards others.

perhaps in another 1-2 or so generations will this tribal mentality die down...as long as people don't get married with people from their country of origin (pak/ind)
(edited 13 years ago)
But as I mentioned Jatt are relatively high up(im a jatt) and I dont care for the caste system whatsoever
Reply 42
But as I mentioned Jatt are relatively high up(im a jatt) and I dont care for the caste system whatsoever

You must be quite westernised/liberal then... I assume your parents are the same. If your parents found you a wife/or you found one yourself and she was of the lowest/or lower caste then your family wouldn't mind? If she was of a higher caste, her family may object....

the british asian generation will gradually pull away from this form of tribalism... it will only remain in future generations if people continue marrying partners from the sub-continent (a reason why people marry from their parental country is to maintain thier culture)
I really dont give a ****, i hate all this caste business.
Original post by xayshx
how is knowin your caste gonna be any help to you at all??y yeah know your roots..but castes? thats just an excuse to look down on other people and to see where you are in this stupid hierarchy

well people of the same caste have somewhat similar groups for example jatts acan say their scythian etc and also pathans can say their ancestors were from afghanistan, rajputs can say that they were descendent of huns etc. Note that these origons are not precise and some may argue that i am giving wrong information but you cabn kind of get the jist lol
Original post by A100whoo
I really dont give a ****, i hate all this caste business.

this. I don't even know about it but slightly intrigued to know what I am.
I swear pashtun is afghanistani?
I don't know all that much about it but even I can see that your poll is a pile of fail.

Caste systems are bull**** anyway.

I have a friend who's British-born Indian and she's never said what caste she is, she just catergorises herself as a Sikh.
Original post by bunty64
You must be quite westernised/liberal then... I assume your parents are the same. If your parents found you a wife/or you found one yourself and she was of the lowest/or lower caste then your family wouldn't mind? If she was of a higher caste, her family may object....

the british asian generation will gradually pull away from this form of tribalism... it will only remain in future generations if people continue marrying partners from the sub-continent (a reason why people marry from their parental country is to maintain thier culture)

Tbf, I don't think it's an issue where we're from in Pakistan as well. I've never heard an old person mentioning castes, and placing us in x, y and z because of the caste we belong to.

I think it probably does hold more value in India. Where we live, the caste system is just a way of identifying yourself really ie: there's no shame in being lower, middle or upper class in the UK yet you can belong to a certain class.
Reply 49
Tbf, I don't think it's an issue where we're from in Pakistan as well. I've never heard an old person mentioning castes, and placing us in x, y and z because of the caste we belong to.

I think it probably does hold more value in India. Where we live, the caste system is just a way of identifying yourself really ie: there's no shame in being lower, middle or upper class in the UK yet you can belong to a certain class.

where abouts are your family from in pakistan?
I'm Pakistani, my brother's getting married to a bengali girl, i really don't think it matters which caste you are, its awful how some parents only allow their son/daughters to get married to someone of the same caste.
Reply 51
I don't know much about the caste system, but from what I do know, it sounds horrendous.

How does anyone know what caste you are if you don't tell them? Could you not just make your caste up?
Original post by Teveth
I don't know much about the caste system, but from what I do know, it sounds horrendous.

How does anyone know what caste you are if you don't tell them? Could you not just make your caste up?

It IS horrendous, i think its based on your ancestors, and their tribes in your native country, i think its excluding your caste from others, and some even think theirs is superior than others!,
Reply 53
I'm an out caste.
Original post by bunty64
where abouts are your family from in pakistan?

Kashmir in Pakistan. Where my family is from,things cost more than they do here. It's a pretty "rich" part of Pakistan ie:£100,000 villas with land costing more, considering the country as a whole is poor. It has a heavy UK influence
Reply 55
I'm lohana(Ksatriya) and tbh I really don't care about it. All people are equal and it's wrong to look down on people.... If I like someone I'm not going to care a damn about what their caste is...
Original post by soldier-4-life
hi just noticed theres a large asian community and i realised that there are no stastics on castes in britain sorry i missed out on an important option neither of the above

I'm from the Pir cast. And I don't give a ****! Why should a cast say anything about you?
Reply 57
I am a pashtun, which is a ethnicity rather then a caste. This caste thing sounds backwards. The people who are still trying to make it valid in the UK do tend to be people of higher caste and do try to make themselves feel superior to anyone else and make everyone else feel inferior. What so good about pushing yourself out of your moms vagina into a family of a caste? Merit comes from talent and achievement not caste.
Reply 58
Kashmir in Pakistan. Where my family is from,things cost more than they do here. It's a pretty "rich" part of Pakistan ie:£100,000 villas with land costing more, considering the country as a whole is poor. It has a heavy UK influence

isn't that where the majority of uk pakistnis come from? Especially pakistanis up north.

Isn't the heavy uk influence got to do with large a large kashmiri expat population in the north of england? Remember reading an article about vote rigging by pakistanis in areas like bradford, bmigham, manchester and links to their village back home (people in kashmir were voting and were getting family/friends to vote on their behalf in the uk)

don't they have a kashmiri tribe?
Reply 59
Sheikh, Chaudhry, Awaan, all aren't options. These are mostly Sikh castes....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending