The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
My maths teacher at GCSE got accepted by Oxford but he went to Warwick instead because all his friends went there
I'm sure lots of people change their minds and decide that they'd be happier elsewhere. One of my good friends has been interviewed at Cambrdige and I really think he will be made an offer (outstanding academically and a sparkling extra curricular etc.) but he's also applied to MIT and he will go there if he is accepted. This is for computer science btw :smile:
Reply 102
I know someone who got an offer for Maths at Trinity College Cambridge, he turned it down to go to MIT.
mate did. he rejected engineering offer at cam took gap year and reaplied and went for natsci at durham. decided he didnt want to be an engineer.
Original post by flexiblefish
mate did. he rejected engineering offer at cam took gap year and reaplied and went for natsci at durham. decided he didnt want to be an engineer.

I wonder if he said it in his second personal statement.

"After rejecting cam like a bitch, I travelled to South America..."
Reply 105
Original post by diamonddust
Sorry, meant to pos rep you not neg you!

no worries lol, not like i care about rep!
Friend on my course at Sheffield declined to take up her place at Cambridge on results day despite them begging her to attend (her offer was even AAB they liked her so much). But she decided that it wasn't the place for her and she couldn't deal with the pressure so she reapplied and came to Sheffield instead and is so glad she made the decision.

At the end of the day these places arnt for everyone, particularly those who can't thrive under pressure!
Original post by im so academic
Hey! :hmmm:

That said, putting Oxford as an insurance... :facepalm2:

His choice ultimately. :smile:

Sorry :tongue: I know how you can be sometimes... but you seem to be getting better :biggrin:

Original post by Fallen

I much prefer the course at Imperial, basically.

It was a ridiculously hard decision, as I adore the college I applied to (Keble) and the staff and other students are amazing.
That said, at the end of the day I am applying for the course, and I think I stand a better chance of getting a first in a course I am truly passionate about. I am still worried though about IC because I am not sure about the social lives of most Computer Scientists there...

Fair enough :smile: Good luck! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time whichever you chose.
Original post by diamonddust
Why are you so obsessed with Oxbridge? I assume she had her reasons.

As the person you are respoding to said, rejecting Oxford for Imperial, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds etc, etc, is acceptable but rejecting Oxford for Brunel is just plain madness!!! :eek:

No wonder the person who orginally wrote the post is so annoyed with her cousin.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by therealOG
Naaah you can't say that. I would say I'm Oxbridge material as would my peers and teachers, but I'm not going to say I would be certain to get a place.....
(I'm not applying there because they don't do the course I want to do...damn them :angry:)

Very modest of you
Reply 110
Original post by Rickelton
Very modest of you

Thanks. Thanks for that.
I know someone who got an interview for physical NatSci at Cambridge and nearly didn't turn up because he didn't want to go there. We all persuaded him to at least go to the interview since his interviewer was Dr A Bender.

I know it's different but everyone thought I ought to apply and seemed pretty pissed off with me when I didn't (especially the teacher in charge of UCAS at my school - I swear she delayed my reference just to spite me). The looks I get when I say I don't know whether to go to Southampton or Sussex... Once someone asked me: 'are you still clever?'
Original post by Picnic1
I'm making an number of assumptions here. First of all that to the majority (and I'm not talking about the niche of well connected upper class people who might all regularly apply to St Johns or something), The Castle would seem to epitomise a particularly prestigious kind of accommodation. So it may receive the highest number of applications, as you can nominate your preferred college.

I think I may have made an error in saying that putting The Castle as your preferred choice will necessarily result in a reduced chance of being accepted at Durham though as they do send the application to another college if they are oversubscribed. But I do wonder - if you were a less fashionable college you might feel flattered to be someone's first choice. As a result I hope that their admissions system is purely based on the decision of the departments rather than some college input.

Johns' stereotype is that it's the religious college, not posh!
Anyway, you have to be accepted by the department before any college even SEES your UCAS form so not sure what you're on about really.

You now get the offer on UCAS when your department accepts you, and then your form is sent to a college after that - so the college is irrelevant in deciding if you get into Durham or not.

The 'flattery' thing could only apply at Oxbridge, where your form goes straight to a college.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I know someone who got an interview for physical NatSci at Cambridge and nearly didn't turn up because he didn't want to go there. We all persuaded him to at least go to the interview since his interviewer was Dr A Bender.

I know it's different but everyone thought I ought to apply and seemed pretty pissed off with me when I didn't (especially the teacher in charge of UCAS at my school - I swear she delayed my reference just to spite me). The looks I get when I say I don't know whether to go to Southampton or Sussex... Once someone asked me: 'are you still clever?'

:rofl:

I get slightly more intelligent variants of this when people discover what unis I rejected for ARU (not Oxbridge, but not far off either.)
I know 2 people who rejected Oxbridge offers for Durham, because they didn't like the Oxbridge college which they were moved to, and preferred the course at Durham (flexibility, doing modules in other subjects, etc.)

Oxford and Cambridge tend to offer fewer combined/joint honours courses than other universities, especially Cambridge, and I know one person who went there to do single honours (applied for joint at all her other unis), then left after a year because she really wanted to study both subjects.
Original post by TheSownRose
:rofl:

I get slightly more intelligent variants of this when people discover what unis I rejected for ARU (not Oxbridge, but not far off either.)

You do something which most unis don't offer though don't you (can't remember what but I vaguely remember it being medical?). I think the Brunel thing surprises most people because a lot of top unis offer English (though obviously all courses are different).
Original post by therealOG
Just out of curiosity, does anyone on TSR know of someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance or just rejected the offer outright? And why did they do it? I know Oxbridge doesn't appeal to everyone (Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL), but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.

Are you related to Blue_shift86?
Reply 117
Emma Watson did :p:
Original post by ily_em
Emma Watson did :p:

Pretty sure they rejected her.
Reply 119
One guy I know did... he's goin Harvard next year!! :/ posted a pic on facebook showing all his offers and how he rejected all of them on UCAS... it was kinda boss though haha

Latest

Trending

Trending