The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
After all, the student demonstrations that were recently held nationwide when it was announced that the ConDem government was pushing for an increase in tuition fees, throwing the life plans of many young people into uncertainty, received widespread media attention and were one the main reasons for the gap between the majority voting in favour of the rise and minority voting against the rise being slashed by 75%, proving that not only do teenagers have a voice but we are being listened to, especially when we’re fighting to defend our rights.

Long enough sentence?

Most of her arguments are just 'I'm young, I'm into politics and studying when everyone else is pulling at parties- aren't I amazing'. For instance, the penultimate paragraph; it could be demonstrating the earlier point that demo's are easy to organise, but she's managed to turn the whole thing into how she organised one -quite stupidly the day before her exam- and how much people support her.
Reply 21
I tried to read this piece of trash and got through about 2 paragraphs before having to stop

Its woefully written
Reply 22
A pretty poor article to be honest. In fact it's more of an ego-trip.

She claims to understand what she's writing about, but it's pretty evident she's been mis-informed in a lot of places.
The title has been I feel chosen because it sounds good rather than being accurate, Topshop is not mentioned at all though its parent company is, fleetingly. The basis seems to be, 'look at me I am young and go to protests'. The fact that I would argue this is self interest anyway, 'I won't be able to go to uni' shows a possible reason to protest more than idealism, though I could be being a cynic here. The fact she also thinks this rather than realising that there is no up front cost and thus no barrier to entry shows either a luck of understanding or deliberate scaremongering, both are contemptible. Especially when this is someone, 'interested in politics'.

Before you tell me to do it I have written an article for the TFA and am planning another.

Maybe that was a little harsh.

As for am I the topshop generation? Well no.
(edited 13 years ago)
She says that people are surprised about her taking part in protests, but she's 15! I would be worried, kids should be kept safe indoors playing monopoly.
Reply 25
Actually, we are & I don't even buy clothes from TS anymore, haven't for 4 years.
Original post by STARRS
She says that people are surprised about her taking part in protests, but she's 15! I would be worried, kids should be kept safe indoors playing monopoly.

Deliberate choice or coincidence?
Topshop just feels too expensive for most of their items. Maybe I'm just cheap? :dontknow:

I'd say we are the Primark generation though. Disposable fashion all the time, probably the media's fault.
Reply 28
A wonderful explanation on why the voting age should NEVER be lowered. If anything they should push it up to 30 or something.
Topman has become my main clothes shop since starting uni, im turning into one of those indie kids...except im not a dickhead, i just like to look different :P
Original post by I<3LAMP
Topshop just feels too expensive for most of their items. Maybe I'm just cheap? :dontknow:

I'd say we are the Primark generation though. Disposable fashion all the time, probably the media's fault.

The only things iv ever bought from primark is underwear :tongue:
I see it as buy quality and it lasts longer...saying that, until i started uni i had very little amounts of clothes! LOL
They do sell cool mens underwear though :wink:
Reply 31
why do people have a great sense of supiriority over the fact they don't shop in topshop...it's a shop, there are more important things in life so just shut up
I'd rather buy something expensive that looks better and lasts longer. Topshop clothes are expensive, yes, but they're good quality and they are on with the current trends. Primark clothes fall apart within a month.
Not even got any GCSEs yet and she thinks she knows better...
Reply 34
Original post by soutioirsim
Its still better than superdry tbh.

Superdry is AWESOME. Besides that chavy jacket everyone is wearing everything else is nice.
Doesn't anyone shop at Burtons/next? I hardly shop at Topman,but my friend does quite regularly so Im able to check the stock. Its not that bad
''Whilst some people in my year at school do think its weird that, at the weekend, they’re getting off with people at parties whilst the only parties I’m gossiping about are the political ones''

Nice use of the double meaning there.....xx
Reply 37
Original post by TheRealDaVinci
Topman has become my main clothes shop since starting uni, im turning into one of those indie kids...except im not a dickhead, i just like to look different :P

Is it even possible to shop from Topman and look different?
Original post by LeeC
Is it even possible to shop from Topman and look different?

Lol what do you mean?
I dont get all my clothes there :P and i dont actually know anyone else who goes there
Reply 39
I love TopShop actually :smile:
Then again, I do more or less with the points she's making, but she comes across as pretty pretentious - the message I'm getting is, "hi, I'm 15, I like politics and oppose the cuts, how cool am I?" rather than about the cuts themselves. I'm also 15, like politics and oppose the cuts but I don't go around asking for a halo. Also, (and I know this is a silly point) but the article was annoyingly written and not very articulate. I don't mean to put down what she's doing because I think it is important young people are politically aware - but it just rubs me the wrong way a little.

Latest

Trending

Trending