The Student Room Group

European Union Law HELP!:(

Hey guys, im new to this site...

Im really struggling with my EU Law essay..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Seti-Jay
Hey guys, im new to this site...

Im really struggling with my EU Law essay..

The question is..

"Critically discuss the extent to which the European Union can be considered to be a democratic entity"

I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me a guide..

Thank-you! :smile:

Well, look at the political system, the processes in the elections, the definition of democracy, who decides what goes on in the EU (ie. who's in charge of the budgeting), how the individual states have effect other than that of MEPs (especially considering the disparity between the proportional representation system offered by the EP as opposed to the current UK's MP representation system - is it democracy, is it like that in all countries?), the judicial system (especially the supreme court - how are the judges decided). That might be a good starting point but I'm sure the Law students will have more to offer.
Reply 2
Thank you soooo much!:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rhinger
****. Are law essays like that?!**** I'm studying law from next year. **** YES!

It sounds difficult but it's not really. The textbook I'm using has 7 full pages on how undemocratic it is, if you copied all the arguments out of it you'd get a 2.1.

OP - look in the index of whatever textbook you're using for democratic principles/democracy/democratic deficit. There'll be loads of stuff :smile:. The biggest thing though is how law is made, and in particular how much of it is made by civil servants/governments. Also, you'll want to look at how the Lisbon Treaty has changed that with the introduction of art 12 TEU which provides all the information about draft laws to national parliaments in an attempt to help them properly scrutinise their government, and art 290 giving more power to the EP to scrutinise delegated legislation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by rhinger
Now that's calmed me down a bit.

Sorry! It's not really as boring as it sounds.

Ok, EU law is, but the rest is good :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rhinger
My bad, I didn't mean to be sarcastic! :P

Just wondering... What year are you in?

3rd year - I'm almost finished :smile:.
OP, i recommend this article as well http://http://www.princeton.edu/~amoravcs/library/deficit.pdf It's quite a good argument for saying the arguments about democracy are misplaced because we think the EU is something it isn't and why, even if it is undemocratic, it doesn't matter.
Original post by Lemons

Original post by Lemons
It sounds difficult but it's not really. The textbook I'm using has 7 full pages on how undemocratic it is, if you copied all the arguments out of it you'd get a 2.1.

OP - look in the index of whatever textbook you're using for democratic principles/democracy/democratic deficit. There'll be loads of stuff :smile:. The biggest thing though is how law is made, and in particular how much of it is made by civil servants/governments. Also, you'll want to look at how the Lisbon Treaty has changed that with the introduction of art 12 TEU which provides all the information about draft laws to national parliaments in an attempt to help them properly scrutinise their government, and art 290 giving more power to the EP to scrutinise delegated legislation.

hi there, i have the exact same question for my essay which is due TOMORROW!! lol and i was just wondering what textbook u are using?? i have no idea where 2 even start!
Hahahaha EU and democratic entity in the same sentence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending