The Student Room Group

Are you envious of the generation above us?

The generation above us being our parents, basically people between the ages of about 35-65. I think they had it so easy compared to us, and actually easier compared to the generation above them (our grandparents).

They had free higher education.

They could fail their A Levels, or get a 2:2 or 3rd in their degree, and still get very well paid jobs - my dad knows a few people who almost failed their degrees and then went on to get 100k+ secure jobs, something almost unheard of today.

Businesses were so much easier to start up and make decent profit from - most markets these days are so competitive, or are dominated by certain brands, or are saturated markets, the best example of this being the computer software market that Microsoft dominates.

They were the ones who ruined our planet and created global warming for us and our kids to suffer from in the future.

They're the ones who can retire relatively early and watch us work until we're 70 or more to pay for their pensions.

There were many jobs available. For example, my dad could get work as a student whenever he wanted, and he worked in all his holidays. You can't get a job easily these days.

They're the ones in government who are making us pay for the mess THEY created, just in time for our kids (when we have them) to have a great life. They don't think about us though. Making us pay huge tuition fees when we've not done anything wrong.

I must have missed a lot of things off (tell me if you think of anymore). I know we have it easier as far as technology goes - our parents didn't have the internet as kids, or computers when they were younger. But these things can cause more harm than good to young people.

I invite you to discuss these things.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Apparently the baby boomers are the one generation that will take from the system far more than they ever put in.
My dad got 2 A-Levels, didn't go into higher education, and is now the director for one of the largest insurance brokers in the country. He applied for a graduates job when he was 18 and got it. This was about 20 years ago.. that would have been unheard of today.

"They were the ones who ruined our planet and created global warming for us and our kids to suffer from in the future."

^^ That is a ridiculous statement. The whole premise of global warming is that it has been in a steady process for decades.
(edited 13 years ago)
They were the ones who ruined our planet and created global warming for us and our kids to suffer from in the future.

boo hoo! no-one cares about this damn planet anyway. if it wasn't the generation above that destroyed the planet it would be us. Who cares about a bit of melting ice and polar bears anyway?

http://www.treehugger.com/assets_c/2010/04/burning-coal-carbon-thumb-436x306-14807.jpg
Reply 4
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
My dad got 2 A-Levels, didn't go into higher education, and is now the director for one of the largest insurance brokers in the country. He applied for a graduates job when he was 18 and got it. This was about 20 years ago.. that would have been unheard of today.

"They were the ones who ruined our planet and created global warming for us and our kids to suffer from in the future."

^^ That is a ridiculous statement. The whole premise of global warming is that it has been in a steady process for decades.

ok, let me put it this way - they have contributed the most to global warming, more than any other generation. you just have to look at graphs of carbon emissions to see the exponential rise that took place in the 50's all the way through to the 90's.
Original post by robotwars

ok, let me put it this way - they have contributed the most to global warming, more than any other generation. you just have to look at graphs of carbon emissions to see the exponential rise that took place in the 50's all the way through to the 90's.

Please don't believe those bull**** statistics. :rolleyes:

Anyways, on one hand, I'm not envious, I just take it as it is.
Original post by Aaargh
No it isn't, it's the premise that the last 50 years have been more damaging for the planet than the rest of human existence put together. It's a period that's been largely presided over by the baby boomers, and the real work and innovation has been left for everyone else to do now that they're steadily retiring to their massive pensions and property portfolios.

It's been unavoidable with all the advances in technology, and also the need to burn more fuels because of the increase in the population. We've only know about the alternate power up until recently.
Reply 7
Yeah, little bit. But then again the education I get a school is far better than anything my Mum had and so I'm pleased with that :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by BookWormShanti
Yeah, little bit. But then again the education I get a school is far better than anything my Mum had and so I'm pleased with that :smile:

education doesn't mean an awful lot in the grand scheme of things.

sure, you may get that bit extra quality teaching on your English degree, and that may mean you learn that certain Shakespeare play in a bit more detail, but when you're flipping burgers in McDonald's, living with your parents at 30, still not paid off your student debts, can't get a decent job, and gathered a mere 10% towards your first house, you'll be wondering why the hell you wanted that education in the first place.

:smile:
Reply 9
education doesn't mean an awful lot in the grand scheme of things.

sure, you may get that bit extra quality teaching on your English degree, and that may mean you learn that certain Shakespeare play in a bit more detail, but when you're flipping burgers in McDonald's, living with your parents at 30, still not paid off your student debts, can't get a decent job, and gathered a mere 10% towards your first house, you'll be wondering why the hell you wanted that education in the first place.

:smile:

I don't think it's got quite so dire that the most this current generation can aspire to is burger tossing... :rofl: And anyway, what happened to learning for the joy of it? I can't really predict how likely I am to gain a good job when I graduate if that's not going to be for another 6-7 years. It seems a shame to worry about it and bemoan the fact I'm not a member of a generation I can never be when there are countless advantages to being me, right now, which I'm finding very enjoyable! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by BookWormShanti
I don't think it's got quite so dire that the most this current generation can aspire to is burger tossing... :rofl: And anyway, what happened to learning for the joy of it? I can't really predict how likely I am to gain a good job when I graduate if that's not going to be for another 6-7 years. It seems a shame to worry about it and bemoan the fact I'm not a member of a generation I can never be when there are countless advantages to being me, right now, which I'm finding very enjoyable! :biggrin:

its not the only job the current generation can aspire to, I agree. but if you take a lesser degree, say Media compared to Engineering, you won't stand as much of a chance for a good job as the previous generation would have done.
Reply 11
Well I am now!
Not really - education may have been free and all, but it was far more class based (not many working class people would have gone at all). My mum didn't go, whereas if she was my age today it's almost certain she would be the type to go.

Plus our parents were getting their first jobs in like the 80s; a time of (more obvious) racism and sexism in the workplace. No thanks.
Reply 13
The world is messed up, jobs are competitive as hell but that makes it so much better don't you think? I like a challenge :wink:
I'm just jealous of the housing situation! Like I'm ever going to be able to afford my own place!! They have definately been luck in many respects!
No I am not jealous, because that generation now have wrinkles whilst my face is line-free.
Reply 16
They got more pussy than us
You don't seem to know much about postwar austerity: ration books (till 1954), mass unemployment, mass walkouts and the three day week (and the winter of discontent, for example), the decline in traditional industries, weekly visits from debt collectors (a common experience) etc etc hardly anyone went to university.

The stuff about microsoft and global warming is just weird.
Original post by Dekota-XS
They got more pussy than us

Hard to find juicy ones. :mad:

Quick Reply