The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxford; U.S. student

Hi Everyone!

Hope you've all been having a wonderful holiday. I was recently rejected from Oxford for Human Sciences. I applied from the U.S. and I was wondering what you all think of reapplying next year, as Oxford was my clear first choice university. I haven't received offers yet for American schools since those don't come out until March/April, so I will see how I feel about it then. However, as of now, I know that Oxford is the school I want to go to, not because of its name or prestige, but because it offers the course/type of teaching and environment that I want and can't find in schools here in the U.S. I think I actually had quite a good chance of being accepted - my scores were all above entrance requirements, personal statement was great, reference was good (I think, although I didn't see it). The tutors at the college I applied to even called my guidance counselor at school, saying that they liked the way I presented my application and wanted more information on my school. I also thought my first interview went well; my second definitely could have gone better though. Is it allowed to reapply during my first year of university at an American school? I would be applying for first-year admission, not to transfer (which you can do in the states). If not, I could take a gap year although I'm not sure if that's worth it. I could defer my entry to the school I decide to go to and then reapply during my gap year, and see what happens, although if I'm holding a deferred spot and American university I think I might be required to attend the next year. I also had another question - I know it's best to apply to a different college than the one you previously applied to...do you think it would be beneficial to apply to a different course? I absolutely love Human Sciences, but since there is so much breadth to the course and so many different topics, I could completely see myself studying, say, Archaeology and Anthropology, Oriental Studies, Biology.... Please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance!!
Not considering liberal arts college in the US? princeton, harvard, yale, columbia? They're awesome too!
Reply 2
The interviews aren't necessarily designed to sort out who is more intelligent, given you need the grades to get to interview anyway. They're there to see how you think and how your rationalise, and basically how you cope in an oxford-tutorial-like situation. Perhaps you just dont fit with Oxford's style? If that is the case then i'd worry that no matter how much preparation you do for it next year the same would happen.

I wouldn't take a gap year if I was you incase you did get rejected from Oxford again, then you sort of have a year wasted. But if you start at another American uni then reapply to oxford then I dont suppose you have anything to lose if you really want to go to Oxford. You might even change your mind when you go to a different uni and decide you want to stay there - i've always said that whereever people end up they're likely to make a load of friends and have a great experience.
Original post by 04ghicks
i've always said that whereever people end up they're likely to make a load of friends and have a great experience.

You've always said that without having actually gone to university yet?
Reply 4
Original post by TheSownRose
You've always said that without having actually gone to university yet?

Yes I have funnily enough :tongue:

People worry too much and become fixated on things like league tables or facilities available. Of course it would be better to go to where you want to go, but its not the end of the world if you dont. You're still going to make new friends and have a good time even if your university is ran out of the back of a cardboard box. There are exceptions of course...
Yes I have funnily enough :tongue:

People worry too much and become fixated on things like league tables or facilities available. Of course it would be better to go to where you want to go, but its not the end of the world if you dont. You're still going to make new friends and have a good time even if your university is ran out of the back of a cardboard box. There are exceptions of course...

We'll see if you say that when you're at Sheffield instead of Oxford... :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Reply 6
If you can't use paragraphs, you don't deserve to go to Oxford...

Why don't you go to a normal uni, where you can have fun?
The interviews aren't necessarily designed to sort out who is more intelligent, given you need the grades to get to interview anyway. They're there to see how you think and how your rationalise, and basically how you cope in an oxford-tutorial-like situation. Perhaps you just dont fit with Oxford's style? If that is the case then i'd worry that no matter how much preparation you do for it next year the same would happen.

I wouldn't take a gap year if I was you incase you did get rejected from Oxford again, then you sort of have a year wasted. But if you start at another American uni then reapply to oxford then I dont suppose you have anything to lose if you really want to go to Oxford. You might even change your mind when you go to a different uni and decide you want to stay there - i've always said that whereever people end up they're likely to make a load of friends and have a great experience.

Oxford candidate?
Jesus!
Reply 8
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Oxford candidate?
Jesus!

Have a look at his sig first...it's even more hilarious!
Original post by Saar
Have a look at his sig first...it's even more hilarious!

What exactly is hilarious about that? :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by TheSownRose
What exactly is hilarious about that? :confused:

He quickly changed it, so my post doesn't make sense anymore. He had "but" instead of "put". Ahh well, whatever makes him happy I guess. But it would be interesting if this guy really has an offer from Oxford with this level of spelling mistakes.
Original post by Saar
He quickly changed it, so my post doesn't make sense anymore. He had "but" instead of "put". Ahh well, whatever makes him happy I guess. But it would be interesting if this guy really has an offer from Oxford with this level of spelling mistakes.

Ah right, that makes more sense and is very funny. :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending