The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohitronaldo
Ahh sweet, we are the biggest college after all! Economics and Management here by the way.

I was interviewed over Skype (being an international applicant) and so I have never seen Keble or even the city of Oxford for that matter. Thank god for Google Images and the college website, though I would love to see the place for real.

I'm in a sort of similar situation...ish. I originally applied to New College, so stayed/spent most of my time there when I was being interviewed. All I've seen of Keble is the walk from the entrance to the history tutor's officey house place! Oh, and the hall/student bar place from a Summer School I went on last year...

but yeah, the virtual tour on the website is a lifesaver :tongue:
Original post by RupertTheBear
Hertford top FTW

Is it just me or... have they spelt it "Hartford" on the women's hoodie??
Original post by Noble.
Hmm, I don't really agree about the whole 'getting gifts for getting into Oxbridge' thing, I just think parents send out the wrong message by saying it.

My parents bought me a steak for getting in :biggrin: but didn't promise it beforehand.
Reply 143
Original post by dothesnowdome
Just wondering how old you'll all be when you start Oxford? I'm going to be 20, bit worried about being ancient... any other gap yearers/ people who for some reason won't be 18 when they get there?! :smile:

I'll be 20 too! because of 2 year compulsory national service! you are not alone.

ALso, could i be added to the list?:colondollar:

Economics and management at st. peter's!
Reply 144
Original post by flywithemma
ah ok. my parents still have my little sister to keep them occupied :tongue:

and i'm from near Prudhoe? idk if you'll have heard of it...it's Northumberland. near ish to Hexham?

I've heard of it but I couldn't tell you where it is :P
Reply 145
Original post by Lumi Nous
Is it just me or... have they spelt it "Hartford" on the women's hoodie??

They have! Not sure they're going to sell many of those :p:

On the subject of hoodies, turns out my Dad bought me a Christ Church one for Christmas but it only arrived this morning :redface: If I don't get 3 As I'll just have to burn it (but hopefully it won't come to that!)
Reply 146
Original post by n25
I'll be 20 too! because of 2 year compulsory national service! you are not alone.

2 years of compulsory national service? That does sound a little authoritarian to me. What did you do and were you paid for it?

I'm on a gap year as well, but it is only remotely compulsory and huge fun. I'll be 19 when I start uni, but I see that as an advantage rather than a problem. It'll be so good having had a interesting gap year!:smile:
I'll be 19 within a week or so of starting (just because my birthday is early in the academic year)
Reply 148
Original post by Yaw-Bruni
2 years of compulsory national service? That does sound a little authoritarian to me. What did you do and were you paid for it?

I'm on a gap year as well, but it is only remotely compulsory and huge fun. I'll be 19 when I start uni, but I see that as an advantage rather than a problem. It'll be so good having had a interesting gap year!:smile:

Haha. its more for national defense. two years as a soldier and yes paid some allowance. very interesting experience.

Haha gap year is an awesome idea in my opinion. A chance to do whatever one might dream of doing during school.
Another small problem is self doubt :frown: Its started to creep in...

Im hoping these feelings will make me work harder when october finally comes round :p:
Original post by soutioirsim
Another small problem is self doubt :frown: Its started to creep in...

Im hoping these feelings will make me work harder when october finally comes round :p:

I'm a bit worried about the opposite - AAA is so much easier than A*A*Aa from Imperial, and I was all geared up to work for that. So I have to avoid thinking "AAA? Pah! Easy" and not working :s-smilie:
Original post by mapontikos
LOL I was unsure about it the first time i heard about it, but then it got quite fun. My sister took it quite well and married one of my classmates. But for me, there is only one other person left, but she's in my degree, and you can't marry inside your degree, so i'm still single... mhhh... :P So get married early!!! :smile:

awww :frown: poor you :frown: why is it that you can't marry inside your degree? :confused:

Ahh sweet, we are the biggest college after all! Economics and Management here by the way.

I was interviewed over Skype (being an international applicant) and so I have never seen Keble or even the city of Oxford for that matter. Thank god for Google Images and the college website, though I would love to see the place for real.

we are? I didn't know that.. I just noticed that we're quite big though :smile:
you will love it there :redface: I'm sure about that :smile: it's just sooo lovely and the people are nice as well, I really like the fact that we're a big college.
where are you from? :smile:
Original post by LtCommanderData
I'm a bit worried about the opposite - AAA is so much easier than A*A*Aa from Imperial, and I was all geared up to work for that. So I have to avoid thinking "AAA? Pah! Easy" and not working :s-smilie:

I mean when we are actually in oxford studying and feeling like you're not good enough. That's what I was talking about sorry :p:

I totally know what you mean though. AAA is not high compared to some of Imperials offers! I just have to remind myself that future employers etc will prob look at A-levels so must keep ploughing away with work! :p:
Original post by lalaberlin

we are? I didn't know that.. I just noticed that we're quite big though :smile:
you will love it there :redface: I'm sure about that :smile: it's just sooo lovely and the people are nice as well, I really like the fact that we're a big college.
where are you from? :smile:

Yup, I got a little ahead of myself and checked up previous year Keble freshers groups on facebook and the whole lot of them seem so friendly even over the Internet.

I'm from Singapore but I study in an international school so I have quite a few British friends as well as teachers. Based on your username, I will make a wild guess that you are German or have some connection with Germany. OR I made a crazy interpretation of the "berlin" bit :colondollar:
Original post by soutioirsim
I mean when we are actually in oxford studying and feeling like you're not good enough. That's what I was talking about sorry :p:

I totally know what you mean though. AAA is not high compared to some of Imperials offers! I just have to remind myself that future employers etc will prob look at A-levels so must keep ploughing away with work! :p:

Ahhh, how foolish of me! I should have known from the thing about when October comes around.

Sorry about that :tongue:
Yup, I got a little ahead of myself and checked up previous year Keble freshers groups on facebook and the whole lot of them seem so friendly even over the Internet.

I'm from Singapore but I study in an international school so I have quite a few British friends as well as teachers. Based on your username, I will make a wild guess that you are German or have some connection with Germany. OR I made a crazy interpretation of the "berlin" bit :colondollar:

Haha well you're close :wink: I'm from Luxembourg actually, but originally from China :smile: my username is in fact a brandname that I like, so there's not really a connection, but I do love Berlin :smile:
so did you choose Keble? if so why? or did you make an open application?
huiii E&M, congrats on your offer btw! :smile: your course is dead competitive from what I've heard!
Original post by lalaberlin
Haha well you're close :wink: I'm from Luxembourg actually, but originally from China :smile: my username is in fact a brandname that I like, so there's not really a connection, but I do love Berlin :smile:
so did you choose Keble? if so why? or did you make an open application?
huiii E&M, congrats on your offer btw! :smile: your course is dead competitive from what I've heard!

Haha cool, my bad :cool:

I originally applied to Brasenose and then got pooled to Keble for interview.

Thanks and congrats on your offer too! Haha yes it is quite competitve, which makes me wonder if my offer letter is a hoax. I think every course in Oxford has a fair amount of competition and everyone who applies is perfect/near perfect on paper so makes me feel all the more fortunate having received an offer.

Now I just need to work my ass off and meet my conditions. Is your's conditional or unconditional? If its the latter, boy am I so jealous of you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 04ghicks
I've heard of it but I couldn't tell you where it is :P

haha ok. mind me asking what school you go to?

Now I just need to work my ass off and meet my conditions. Is your's conditional or unconditional? If its the latter, boy am I so jealous of you.

me too :frown: :frown:
Reply 159
Original post by cynthialf
My acceptance letter said it would be in the next few weeks, as for the forms it was at least by the end of January :smile:

(University College, History!)

Whaat? What are 'the forms'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending