The Student Room Group

Medicine courses - the clinical years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gizmo!
you have the alchemy fests, and a free grantham music fest i havent been to yet which mite be worth a visit. will be going to 1 or 2 of these in new year i hope. i digress though sorri B

You would pay to go to the alchemy fest??
I was there this year for St John Ambulance.. musics rubbish (imo), it's freezing cold and the field ends up like it's in a fog from all the fumes of people smoking drugs (no, I'm not joking.. it has a very distinctive smell...)
Beska should be used to tangents by now :mmm:
But anyway.. enough about lincolnshire I think :yep:
Reply 21
Tihs topic sounds like a prequel to scrubs
Manchester send students out from Manchester for clinical firms also. We have 4 base teaching hospitals, one of which you are attached to for the full 3 years. One of the bases is in Preston and students "sent" there usually move to Preston for the remainder of the course - the alternative is a 60 mile daily round-trip commute for 3 years!

From your base hospital we can also be sent out to DGHs for a firm (usually 7 weeks, 4 weeks in 5th year). These tend to be in towns like Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, Crewe. You get free onsite accommodation for the duration of the placement.

I thought this was pretty normal among medical schools...
Original post by Renal
I've never seen a medical school list it's placement hospitals. Have you?

I don't know about lists on websites etc.

but both soton and SGUL showed us maps of all the possible hospitals we may be sent on clinical years and how the whole system worked...and how you would live there for the week and return at weekends etc. (ie. if you get a far one, next time it will be close by etc.)
Reply 24
Original post by Renal

No they don't list them i'm not stupid Renal. However if it really matters to you then it is easy enough to ask and find out either through a forum such as this or at interviews/open days. For some people being close to a specific base is really important/vital.
Reply 25
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
You would pay to go to the alchemy fest??
I was there this year for St John Ambulance.. musics rubbish (imo), it's freezing cold and the field ends up like it's in a fog from all the fumes of people smoking drugs (no, I'm not joking.. it has a very distinctive smell...)
Beska should be used to tangents by now :mmm:
But anyway.. enough about lincolnshire I think :yep:

ahh, macca is it so bad?

i may ave to go to Evolution Fest in Newcastle instead hehehe,
Reply 26
Original post by theatrical
I thought this was pretty normal among medical schools...

I thought it was relatively normal too, that's why I was surprised with the fact you may be sent away to Teesside being a negative for Newcastle. Seems most places you are sent somewhere and I guess it prepares you for a career in medicine where you'll be moving around anyway!
Hygeia

Can you tell me how this works at UEA please? :puppyeyes: I just thought we had the four hospitals (NNUH, JPH, QEH and Ipswich) and we had daily transport put on for those, but now I'm not so sure..... :s-smilie:
Original post by Renal

Hull York Medical School has. But I did intentionally look for it.

It was also mentioned on the day I had my interview in their 1 hour speech about the Uni.
Original post by Gizmo!
you have the alchemy fests, and a free grantham music fest i havent been to yet which mite be worth a visit. will be going to 1 or 2 of these in new year i hope. i digress though sorri B

ROFL.

Actually apparently its not so bad, just that Grantham is a huge bore.
Reply 30
Original post by I<3LAMP
ROFL.

Actually apparently its not so bad, just that Grantham is a huge bore.

ahh, thsnk you for the advice, i'll keep grantham in my diary.

man i cant wait till i am on a proper doctors wages and i can afford stuff like download and green man that all these rich kiddies seem to go to. winning tickets in competitions is starting to become too hard a job! (200 competition entries = 1 win roughly).

first date this new year = Coastival in Scarborough to see the Levellers hehe. me old favourites.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Can you tell me how this works at UEA please? :puppyeyes: I just thought we had the four hospitals (NNUH, JPH, QEH and Ipswich) and we had daily transport put on for those, but now I'm not so sure..... :s-smilie:

For Ipswich and QEH, I think they're starting to introduce access to accommodation - I know of people in my year who stayed overnight at both at different points during the last term. This is the first year that any accommodation has been provided though and mostly I *think* they'll be sticking to daily transport but obviously have no idea what's going to change!
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
For Ipswich and QEH, I think they're starting to introduce access to accommodation - I know of people in my year who stayed overnight at both at different points during the last term. This is the first year that any accommodation has been provided though and mostly I *think* they'll be sticking to daily transport but obviously have no idea what's going to change!

Right okay, so we don't seem to have the same issues that everyone else does?
Reply 33
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Right okay, so we don't seem to have the same issues that everyone else does?

:nah: not really, no
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
:nah: not really, no

Another reason why UEA is awesome :awesome:
At Peninsula for Years 3 and 4, students are allocated Plymouth, Exeter or Truro.

Most hospital placements will be at Derriford Hospital, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital or Royal Cornwall Hospital. With community/primary care placements scattered around the three localities.

Any journey over 5 miles is reimbursed by PMS (yes only 18p per mile)

But there is no moving away from the 3 localities for placements.

(As far as i understand it, any 3+ Peninsula medical are free to correct me)
Reply 36
Original post by carcinoma
At Peninsula for Years 3 and 4, students are allocated Plymouth, Exeter or Truro.

Most hospital placements will be at Derriford Hospital, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital or Royal Cornwall Hospital. With community/primary care placements scattered around the three localities.

Any journey over 5 miles is reimbursed by PMS (yes only 18p per mile)

But there is no moving away from the 3 localities for placements.

(As far as i understand it, any 3+ Peninsula medical are free to correct me)

I can vouch for this as a PMS clinical student.

Normally you'll be in at least 2 or 3 localities for the duration of your course. I've spent the first two years in Plymouth and now clinical years in Exeter with my final year in Torbay.

As far as hospital placements go, you won't be based in hospitals other than those connected to the locality i.e. Derriford for Plymouth, Wonford for Exeter, RCH for Truro.

Primary care you can be sent pretty much anywhere within a 20-30mile radius of your locality and as mentioned you can be reimbursed for travel and accommodation costs.

So basically it would go a little something like this:

Years 1/2: Plymouth/Exeter

Years 3/4: Plymouth/Exeter/Truro

Year 5: Plymouth/Exeter/Truro/Torbay

Those with special circumstances e.g. student from local region, financial reasons, medical reasons etc. can request to stay in a particular locality for the duration of the course. Quite a few people have done this. Some people like the idea of moving around. I think it's a pain really but I make no secret of the fact I wasn't fond of Plymouth and I'm happy to see out the rest of my days in Exeter.

Torbay is also less than 30 minutes by train from where I am in Exeter (station literally across the road) so I may well commute from Exeter to Torbay.

Mind the moving around does give you a diverse experience but I can't help but feel that you miss out on certain things being in a particular locality e.g. Plymouth's night life, Exeter Universiy's social scene which is where being split between localities doesn't really work in my opinion.

But hey aslong as you get good solid clinical training and come out of it being a qualified doctor, it's all good.
Original post by Sarky
We have to move around a lot. I thought it was quite common.

This year I am in Portsmouth and Bournemouth. They are both either side of the city in which my university is based. And I requested those. People here are sent anywhere from Guildford to Poole to Chichester and even the Isle of Wight/Jersey.

We can be sent there too, Salisbury too. No idea why.
Original post by Carpediemxx
Im a 4th year a Bristol and its a bitch....last year i was living at weston-super-mare and glloucester, this year i have been to bath and gloucester and due back there in the summer, its so so lame, i hate it and its really expensive

Bath is the best, quit yer whining :tongue:
Original post by Mushi_master
Bath is the best, quit yer whining :tongue:

Bath is very nice yeah...but not so nice when you commute from bristol everyday at 6.30am for early theatre starts during anaesthetics!

Quick Reply