The Student Room Group

Alcohol and Paracetomol

I have a throat infection/flu-like symptoms, and have had 1400mg of paracetomol today via calpol (not over the limit), and also two non-drowsy sudafed containing pseudo-ehpedrine.

I had my last calpol dose around two hours ago, but an hour ago drunk around 6 units of port.

May seem silly, but I did not consider the fact that medication and alcohol are not to be mixed. Will I be okay? It's not like I've drunk a LOT, but I am worried now. :s-smilie:

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It wont kill you if that's what you're asking.
Reply 2
Isnt calpol for kids??

You should be fine though.
If you overdose on paracetemol alcohol will make it worse, but I don't think it's going to make a difference to you because you haven't had too much.
Reply 4
I had most of a bottle of JD and about 10 paracetemol one after the other one new years cas I had a headache... I survived.
Reply 5
Thank you for your replies. :smile:

I shall be more careful in future, but I am glad to know that I shan't be popping my clogs this evening. :wink:

+ Calpol *is* for children primarily, but I like how it tastes, so why not?
I would be more concerned of the fact that you're of drinking age and still taking calpol.
Reply 7
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I would be more concerned of the fact that you're of drinking age and still taking calpol.

It tastes nice brah!
Reply 8
even if it doesn't harm you, i've heard that mixing alcohol and meds (even just stuff like paracetamol and aspirin) can leave you wasted
is that true?
Probably won't die but you shouldn't make a habit of it.
Reply 10
It's probably best not to have both in large quantities, but in small quantities you *should* be alright.
I've heard other painkillers like ibuprofen are safer around alcohol, but personally I try not to drink within a few hours of taking painkillers of any sort.

When I'm ill though, a tot of whisky is just what you need sometimes :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your replies. :smile:

I shall be more careful in future, but I am glad to know that I shan't be popping my clogs this evening. :wink:

+ Calpol *is* for children primarily, but I like how it tastes, so why not?

If you need to take painkillers when you've been drinking, aspirin is a much safer and usually a more effective bet--paracetamol is processed in your liver, and it's primarily useful as a fever reducer. Aspirin is a better painkiller. (If you need to reduce inflammation, ibuprofen is your best option for storebought drugs.)
Original post by PointeShoes-x
If you overdose on paracetemol alcohol will make it worse, but I don't think it's going to make a difference to you because you haven't had too much.

actually thats a common mistake if you take an overdose of paracetamol whilst drunk on alcohol it actually is protective.

Its if you take an overdose and have a history of long term over use of alcohol that the problems occur
Original post by Jamie

Original post by Jamie
actually thats a common mistake if you take an overdose of paracetamol whilst drunk on alcohol it actually is protective.

Its if you take an overdose and have a history of long term over use of alcohol that the problems occur

Oh OK that's interesting, I never knew that.
Reply 14
Original post by mituozo
I had most of a bottle of JD and about 10 paracetemol one after the other one new years cas I had a headache... I survived.

Probably coming from a guy whos currently in hospital I imagine
Original post by jjarvis
If you need to take painkillers when you've been drinking, aspirin is a much safer and usually a more effective bet--paracetamol is processed in your liver, and it's primarily useful as a fever reducer. Aspirin is a better painkiller. (If you need to reduce inflammation, ibuprofen is your best option for storebought drugs.)

Aspirin isn't safer.

Aspirin/ibuprofen plus alcohol = vomiting blood from stomach ulcers.
I used to pretend to be ill when I was little just to get some Calpol :coma:.
Original post by Jamie

are you serious?
Original post by MrGuillotine
are you serious?

absolutely.
Take alcohol with a paracetamol overdose and it reduces the effect of the overdose.
Take it with a normal dose of paracetamol and it has no harmful effect.

Take excess alcohol for a few months and then take a paracetamol overdose and it is harmful.
But the same effect is had if the person taking the overdose is chronically unwell, takes certain medication or is starved/anorexic.
Original post by Jamie
absolutely.
Take alcohol with a paracetamol overdose and it reduces the effect of the overdose.
Take it with a normal dose of paracetamol and it has no harmful effect.

Take excess alcohol for a few months and then take a paracetamol overdose and it is harmful.
But the same effect is had if the person taking the overdose is chronically unwell, takes certain medication or is starved/anorexic.

I find that hard to believe and going to need to see some proof.

Quick Reply

Latest