The Student Room Group

M1 Speed Check Cameras

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Went through this area yesterday and there is no way you could have accidentally missed the signs, they're everywhere.

I'll give you a hint of what not to do, don't take it to court and plead you didn't see the signs, they'll clobber you for driving with impaired vision and if you haven't notified the DVLA that you now need (or should have gotten but chose not to) glasses or contract lenses they'll fine you for that too.

Best thing to do is admit you did it and are willing to take part in a driving awareness course in order to avoid the 6+ points they'll want to give you.
Reply 21
It's probably going to be worth talking to a lawyer especially if you do get a NIP.

Original post by DoktaUH
Best thing to do is admit you did it and are willing to take part in a driving awareness course in order to avoid the 6+ points they'll want to give you.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get a driving awareness course. They're usually only available if you've only just gone over the limit. Although if it's a court case you might be able to request it and get the points/fine etc. reduced.

I believe it's possible to get 12 points and no ban in some situations (usually along the lines of you'll lose your job which will affect your family due to lack of any income) I'm not sure if it's the same if you're on the 6 point limit though.
Reply 22
If either one of your parents has a clean license... maybe they were driving the car?
Original post by mfaxford
It's probably going to be worth talking to a lawyer especially if you do get a NIP.
I'm not sure you'll be able to get a driving awareness course. They're usually only available if you've only just gone over the limit. Although if it's a court case you might be able to request it and get the points/fine etc. reduced.

I believe it's possible to get 12 points and no ban in some situations (usually along the lines of you'll lose your job which will affect your family due to lack of any income) I'm not sure if it's the same if you're on the 6 point limit though.

6 points in first two years, you automatically lose your license, with no appeal or way to overturn the decision. The only way to avoid it is to not get six points, so if you challenge one of the offences that got you up to or over 6, and win, so you have less than 6 points.
If it will stop you working you can try and plead on your lively hood. In my summer job I was pretty much apprenticed to a guy whose friend was a mechanic, now you need a license to issue an MOT and so he just pleaded on his lively hood and didn't get points. They worked out that had he got 3 points for each of his speeding offences he would have been on 24~27.

If they ban you I'm not sure what you have to loose by going to court and begging.
Original post by Kenjico
Junction 19 =/
I'm a bit worried right now lmao.

Must be a stretch just before i join it then! Im in the clear!
Reply 26
Original post by Kenjico
I was travelling home from Northampton to Coventry down the M1, and got off at junction 21 i think it was, This was about an hour ago (Midnight)

The road was empty and i was sat in the middle lane doing about 100mph,
I didn't see the speed check camera's and i spotted one out the corner of my eye, not forgetting they are all in blackness.

The two cameras where faintly lit up red, does this mean I've been caught?
do they even work?
And do you get a ban for doing 100mph on a motorway ?

Thanks guys. :confused:

Check this out, it gives you the locations of all the speed cameras, and red light cameras, they have logged in the UK

http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/
(edited 13 years ago)
i'm always amused at stuff like this.

Doing 100 on the motorway is an instant ban...i noticed a couple of posts you revised your speed from about 100 to about 95...better hope it is the latter :wink:

and yes the speed cameras do work, but they only track your average speed between 2 seperate points on the motorway so chances are, if it was the one at the start of the zone and you slowed down to 50 for the rest of the zone, then your average wont be 100 so you could escape a ban. If you spotted the one at the end of the zone, then your average speed will be 100 and you can expect a nice ban/points/fine for basically driving like a pratt at double the speed limit :P
Reply 28
Remember that speedometers are rarely that accurate! It may have told you that you were going 100mph but you might have been going nearer 95mph
Reply 29
Original post by RELAXED
Dude check this out.

http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/

There are no speed cameras on that piece of the M1. So chill yo. Now go and make yourself a cuppa tea.

That link is QUALITY!

Updated 19th May 2009
Reply 30
Original post by Cunn
Remember that speedometers are rarely that accurate! It may have told you that you were going 100mph but you might have been going nearer 95mph

The reason the cameras are there is to enforce a 50 limit through the roadworks, so whether he was going 95 or 100 is, for all intents and purposes, moot.
Ah think you're buggered mate, that small section on the M1 has average cameras so if you went past two of them at 90+mph then you could be getting something through your letter box, unless you managed to slow to 30mph before the next camera.
if you did get caught by two cameras claim that you never dropped below the limit between, and so its just once case of speeding. ive heard that to work in the past.

Original post by DoktaUH
Went through this area yesterday and there is no way you could have accidentally missed the signs, they're everywhere.

I'll give you a hint of what not to do, don't take it to court and plead you didn't see the signs, they'll clobber you for driving with impaired vision and if you haven't notified the DVLA that you now need (or should have gotten but chose not to) glasses or contract lenses they'll fine you for that too.

the speed awareness course has to be offerd to you, and you will only get it if you where a few mph over the limit, and its the first time you've been caught speeding.
Reply 33
I'm a touch confused, which camera's are you talking about? I don't recall any speed camera which are lit up red?

If you're talking about the average speed cameras then they are the yellow ones ... and you were doing double the speed limit through them.
Reply 34
Did something similar, however i went from the left lane, and by the end of the cameras, i was in the far right lane, and apparently the camera's aren't linked for each lane, so yea i was lucky.
Original post by The Stig
I'm a touch confused, which camera's are you talking about? I don't recall any speed camera which are lit up red?

If you're talking about the average speed cameras then they are the yellow ones ... and you were doing double the speed limit through them.

I assumed the red that was seen was either from a faulty street light that was red instead of yellow, or the red infra-red lighting which camera has.

Original post by DDS
Did something similar, however i went from the left lane, and by the end of the cameras, i was in the far right lane, and apparently the camera's aren't linked for each lane, so yea i was lucky.

Negative, they have always been able to be linked, but their approval order said they could only fine you if in the same lane. However that changed around '09, so if it was more than 2 weeks ago, it seems you got lucky, but for another reason :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by The Stig

At night, the faint infra-red glow coming from the two lamps either side of the main camera unit is visible.

Original post by DDS

http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/specs3.htm
You thicko.
Reply 38
Originally Posted by RELAXED

Original post by Mad Vlad
That link is QUALITY!

So rep me maybe!? I actually gave up caring about rep when I realised it's mostly haters who use the system. But purely from a decency point of view, if someone posts a useful link wouldn't you just go to all the effort of clicking that little green thumb? :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Original post by RELAXED
Originally Posted by RELAXED

So rep me maybe!? I actually gave up caring about rep when I realised it's mostly haters who use the system. But purely from a decency point of view, if someone posts a useful link wouldn't you just go to all the effort of clicking that little green thumb? :s-smilie:

I believe he was being sarcastic - as it is an out of date link you posted. Any idea where a more up to date one could be found?

Quick Reply

Latest