The Student Room Group

How Will I as an American be Precieved in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchild007
I'm not trying to defend the Republicans as I classify myself as a Democrat, but needless finger-pointing and fallacious accusations help nothing (and yes I agree, at times the left is just as guilt as the right)….

What has this got to do with finger pointing and accusations? The OP asked a question and I answered it. We have a very liberal society here and we don't look well upon neo-conservative Americans; namely, republicans. If you have a personal intimacy with the republican party, you're free to indulge in said interest, but that's just how we are.

We don't like warmongerers in this country.
Reply 41
Green street hooligans!!!!!
Reply 42
If you are a brash, uncouth, loud-mouth Texan, then you may as well stay at home; people will not appreciate that this is how most people are in Texas. If not, and you are studying in London, then you won't be noticed. There's more nationalities in London than there are at the Olympics.
Use capital letters correctly and you'll be fine.
Reply 44
Can't belive two people have stated as a fact that the North is full of racists :rolleyes:

Have fun reading your replies OP but bear in mind that TSR isn't a representative sample and it's traditionally full of people shouting bigoted opinions on subjects they don't know anything about.

and if you do come over - don't just stop in London, there's a whole lovely country including the north - which isn't even distant in Texan terms.
Reply 45
Original post by Rescue Remedy
well im not british im irish :smile: i love the southern drawl and i love texas i wana go do my work expierence over there :biggrin: or any other southern state :smile: but atm its look like a state in the north :frown: which is good but not what i want ...........

anyways i dont know what remarks have been made but everywhere you go in the world there is always broad minded people and narrow minded people and the UK has both like many other countries. I dont know how old you are but i assume your fairly young like and you would mix with a young generation in the uk if you did come over and they would prob have other things on their mind then pointing out to you your from texas everyday i think they would know you already know that !!

what i mean to say if anyone has a problem with americans in the UK its going to be all americans in general not just the ones who come from the lone star state ....... and if they do **** them :smile: just let roll off your back like a duck you know!! the culture will be different for you but thats what makes it exciting. you may get some banter like or slagging but that will be as a joke ( well in ireland you would get it anyway) but no one would be cruel or nasty to you now

Thanks for the really comprehensive answer. Alot of stress has been relieved lol. Why do you want to come to texas, is it for the bbq and football lol. If it is you wont be disapointed. If not threre is alot more to be had in Texas. If you can I advise you go to Austin it is awesome. The city's motto is "Keep Austin Weird", its the live music captial of the world and is nothing but fun, its awesome. Houston as well is great, its big and driving is really the only good form of tranportation but it is also fun and there are tons of things to do. :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by rylit91
If you are a brash, uncouth, loud-mouth Texan, then you may as well stay at home; people will not appreciate that this is how most people are in Texas. If not, and you are studying in London, then you won't be noticed. There's more nationalities in London than there are at the Olympics.

Well I dont know if I am loud because everyone in Texas is kinda loud and really demonstrative lol. We are really party kinda people. I mean for texans its really all smiles and loud laughing when we are happy its kinda uncontrollable lol. But I will try to tone it down if possible lol.:tongue:
Reply 47
Original post by momoso
Oh Yeah and for the person that asked which schools I am applying to my first choices are:

Oxford Msc Forced Migration and Refugee Studies
University of Sussex Msc Migration Studies
SOAS Msc Migration Studies

SOAS is ridiculously multicultural and is in London so I can't see it being a problem there, especially as you're clearly not a stereotypical oil-field owning, cowboy hat wearing southerner or some kind of hillbilly. There are loads of Americans at Oxford too, so I can't see it being a problem.

I've no idea about Sussex, I imagine they have less international students, but the UK as a whole is generally quite tolerant. People make a lot of jokes, but they hardly ever actually mean what they say and it's usually just the odd, stupid thing when they first meet you.

Edit: You don't really need to tone down loudness except when speaking to people you don't really know. When I was in the US I found it slightly uncomfortable when strangers would be all loud and happy at me, but when the Americans I know are like that it's fine. I think we're just more reserved in the UK.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by momoso
Hey,

I am seriously considering going to the UK for postgraduate study and one of of my biggest fears is not fitting in. I have a feeling that has kind of been reinforced by some of the responses on this forum that Americans are not well received in the UK especially those from the south. I'm from Texas and there have been many disparaging remarks made about Southerners and Texans on this site. Am I wrong in thinking this or does this feeling hold weight.

Come to London, theres so many people here from so many different cultures that its really not a big deal.
Original post by momoso
Thanks for the really comprehensive answer. Alot of stress has been relieved lol. Why do you want to come to texas, is it for the bbq and football lol. If it is you wont be disapointed. If not threre is alot more to be had in Texas. If you can I advise you go to Austin it is awesome. The city's motto is "Keep Austin Weird", its the live music captial of the world and is nothing but fun, its awesome. Houston as well is great, its big and driving is really the only good form of tranportation but it is also fun and there are tons of things to do. :smile:

No offence but if anything London is the live music capital of the world. One of our venues exceeded both Madison Square Garden and 'Manchester Evening News Arena' for ticket sales and we have many many more. Look here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Music

Edit: Having looked around we have two of the busiest arenas in the world.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50
The UK is a tolerant country, I should think the worst you'd experience would be some banter :dontknow:
Reply 51
Honestly, I don't think people will have a problem. Obviously there may be some issues of American Foreign Policy that people might bring up. I think most people have issues (if any) with America, rather than Americans. I can't stand the whole 'land of the free' rubbish. But all the Americans I know are lovely :smile: and I doubt anyone will be ignorant enough to assume your a redneck or whatever.

But you will have the piss ripped out of your accent. And there will be fights over whether or not the British version of The Office is better (which it is).

p.s. come to Lndon if your worried about fitting in. 1 in 4 are from outside of the UK there so you won't stand out like a sore thumb like you might somewhere more conservative. Or not, you shouldn't make your descision purely on that anyway. People will love you because your different. "Oh wow, I love your accent, SAY SOMETHING ELSE".
(edited 13 years ago)
as someone who can't spell 'perceived'
Reply 53
Oh. For a second there I thought this thread was about how Will.I.Am as an American is perceived in the UK.

:giggle:
Original post by Indian_Princess
as someone who can't spell 'perceived'

I was wondering when someone was going to pick up on this and the incorrect capitalisation of 'will' and 'perceived'
Reply 55
Original post by alexs2602
I was wondering when someone was going to pick up on this and the incorrect capitalisation of 'will' and 'perceived'

Well soooooorrrrrrrrrry I guess you have never misspelled anything because you are perfect.
Original post by momoso
Well soooooorrrrrrrrrry I guess you have never misspelled anything because you are perfect.

Hey hey, calm down, I was just criticising TSR's propensity to correct grammar and spellings. Though my spellings are mostly correct if you must know. "i before e except after c" and all that.
Reply 57
I'm not from the UK, but just wanted to mention I love Americans! Hah don't know why:smile: I was sitting next to a man from Texas in a bus to Southampton and it was great talking to him:smile: I wish wherever I go to study I will have Americans in my course lol:smile:
Reply 58
F-A-T
Reply 59
Ignore any stupid remarks. Ignorance tends to be build on stereotype. A lot of US TV shows suggest that us Brits are all either Cockney or posh when we're not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending