The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know how long you have to work in Sainsburys before you get the staff discount card?
Reply 7341
Original post by stargirl92
Anyone know how long you have to work in Sainsburys before you get the staff discount card?

6 months.
Original post by WhereIsMyMind
Does your store sign the sheets?

At one of the stores I worked at, a manager proposed it, purely to stop this happening. For non-contractual shifts, when the rota went up, you had to sign and date next to your shifts to say we were fine with them. It stopped department managers changing people's hours at last minute.

If this isn't the case with your store, just refuse to do them. Is it obvious they've been changed, as in changed with a pen? or a brand new DAS printout?

Thanks for the reply, we just sign next to the hours on the sheet and that's usually the end of it. It's been changed with a pen from 14-18 to 14-19. I said to my supervisor about it who even admitted it was pretty poor of them to do this and she said she would have a word so I'll find out tomorrow.

I'm not angry with them, it's just really disappointing that they've did this to me. I'm going to refuse to do them and make my voice heard.

I shall report back.
Original post by Oh-No!
Its part of the new repos upgrade, theres a big pack about the changes on connect (think its 3.10). Some changes make sense though, like the nectar redemption is changing so people can redeem any amount, so instead of £2.50, they can redeem £1.74 or £20.46 etc... Also, gift cards will be working on self scan in the upgrade.

Wow, you're well informed. What are you up to these days? You a Team Leader and/or still at college?
Original post by Oh-No!
Its part of the new repos upgrade, theres a big pack about the changes on connect (think its 3.10). Some changes make sense though, like the nectar redemption is changing so people can redeem any amount, so instead of £2.50, they can redeem £1.74 or £20.46 etc... Also, gift cards will be working on self scan in the upgrade.

That all sounds good, is there a date for when it's gonna happen?
Original post by FXX
Yeah, just ask your manager. Even if they say no now, at least then they'll know you're interested if extra hours come up in the future.

i would say they'd say no because it means they have to pay extra holiday etc. and also if you're off sick - more sick pay. we had two people on 20 hour contracts, regularly doing 39 hours. one was in an accident, off for 3 months, and consequently got a pitiful amount in sick pay cos of her 20 hour contract. pretty disgraceful.
Thanks for the repiles!

Feel sorry for you inksplodge it sounds like the people at the top in your branch are rather irksome!

I'm fairly confident though, before xmas we had four people leave and over xmas we only got one extra person in, who is definitely leaving after this week.
Reply 7347
Ah, I didn't get paid today :frown: Did anyone else?
Original post by FXX
Ah, I didn't get paid today :frown: Did anyone else?

Its tommorow I think.
Reply 7349
Original post by AgentSushi
Its tommorow I think.

Yeah but a lot of people saying we'd be paid early as it's new years eve. Nevermind.
What should I do if i can't get to work as i am stuck at my dad's house, which is 2 hours away from where I work ?
Reply 7351
Original post by Domminitio
What should I do if i can't get to work as i am stuck at my dad's house, which is 2 hours away from where I work ?

Find a way to get in?
Reply 7352
I just got my wage slip and there is a tax deduction. Is this correct? I am working part-time as a full time student and this is my first job.

Edit: What time does the money get transferred to our bank accounts? Is it variable?
(edited 13 years ago)
I got my wage slip today but haven't been paid yet. How peculiar.
Reply 7354
Original post by Bleak
I just got my wage slip and there is a tax deduction. Is this correct? I am working part-time as a full time student and this is my first job.

If you continue to earn what you've earned this month, every month to the end of the tax year, you'd go over the tax-free allowance. If you don't, you can claim the tax back at the end of the year. Being part time and a student does not exempt you from paying income tax if you stand to earn over the allowance :wink:
Reply 7355
Original post by FXX
If you continue to earn what you've earned this month, every month to the end of the tax year, you'd go over the tax-free allowance. If you don't, you can claim the tax back at the end of the year. Being part time and a student does not exempt you from paying income tax if you stand to earn over the allowance :wink:

The allowance is £5000+. I only work 12 hours a week and maybe a bit of overtime during the holidays.
Reply 7356
Original post by Bleak
The allowance is £5000+. I only work 12 hours a week and maybe a bit of overtime during the holidays.

Then claim it back at the end of the year.
Original post by Bleak

Original post by Bleak

What 'tax code' is shown on your payslip? If it's "BR" and you have no other sources of income then this may be incorrect and getting it corrected (likely to "647L") by completing a form P46 and handing this to your manager/HR may allow at least some of the Income Tax that you've paid to be refunded before the end of the tax year. In this case, you'd receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax with your pay the next time that you're paid.

Otherwise, as FXX says you can reclaim any overpayment following the end of the tax year (5 April), by writing to your tax office with evidence of your income - most likely the form P60 that you should receive from your employer by 31 May following the end of the year.

For reference, the standard 'personal allowance' is currently £6,475.
Anyone been paid yet or received their pay slip?
(edited 13 years ago)
When it comes to the bank holiday premiums do you have to have worked there a set amount of time in order to qualify for it or do you only qualify if you work the bank hol as overtime and not regularly scheduled for that day?

I've only been working with Sainsburys since Dec 8th so this is my first pay from them. I don't have a pay slip yet but the money has gone in to my account but is much less than I expected (£10 less than expected without bank hol premium and £37 less than with premium) unless NI and Tax is that much but I don't think I should normally be liable for either (I do 16 hours).

Latest

Trending

Trending