The Student Room Group

Medicine courses - the clinical years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carpediemxx
Bath is very nice yeah...but not so nice when you commute from bristol everyday at 6.30am for early theatre starts during anaesthetics!

That certainly ain't so nice, does the RUH not offer accommodation then?
Original post by Mushi_master
That certainly ain't so nice, does the RUH not offer accommodation then?

It does but iwas only there for 2 weeks and had commitments at bristol as well, so i decided to commute...i got a room at bath and took one look and vowed never to stay, its like a prison cell tbh
Original post by Carpediemxx
It does but iwas only there for 2 weeks and had commitments at bristol as well, so i decided to commute...i got a room at bath and took one look and vowed never to stay, its like a prison cell tbh

I know people who clean those rooms and certainly have nothing good to say about them :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by Renal
I've never seen a medical school list it's placement hospitals. Have you?

Imperial lists the main ones and has given a map too.. =P

Also, what does "TTBOMK" mean?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Renal
I've never seen a medical school list it's placement hospitals. Have you?

On the Kings website it says that thir teaching hospitals are St Guy's and Thomas' and another?
Original post by munim

Original post by munim
Imperial lists them and has given a map too.. =P

Also, what does "TTBOMK" mean?

To the best of my knowledge :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
To the best of my knowledge :smile:

Ooh thanks! I got the "of my knowledge", just couldn't get the rest.. >.<
Reply 47
Original post by fletchdd02
On the Kings website it says that thir teaching hospitals are St Guy's and Thomas' and another?
They lie.
Reply 48
Original post by Beska
One of the major negatives of Newcastle is often said to be the fact that you may need to live outside Newcastle city proper for a year if you're placed in the Teesside base unit. To be honest I've never really thought about the logistics of the clinical years at schools where I've applied, but is it surprising that a clinical student would need to move away from the city for clinical rotations?

.. Am I missing something? :s-smilie:

It's not just for Teeside, if you get Carlisle/Whitehaven in Northumbria they're far enough away. I've not heard anyone moaning about that oddly enough. I think it'd be easier to commute to Teeside as it's down the A1 as opposed to the A69 which goes down to single lane somewhere past Hexham.You do get free accommodation at Carlisle though. I think it's actually more to do with no-one wanting to go to Middlesborough...:wink:
Reply 49
Original post by Lantana
It's not just for Teeside, if you get Carlisle/Whitehaven in Northumbria they're far enough away. I've not heard anyone moaning about that oddly enough. I think it'd be easier to commute to Teeside as it's down the A1 as opposed to the A69 which goes down to single lane somewhere past Hexham.You do get free accommodation at Carlisle though. I think it's actually more to do with no-one wanting to go to Middlesborough...:wink:

:mmm:

So it's the location rather than the distance?
Reply 50
Original post by Beska
:mmm:

So it's the location rather than the distance?

:yep::biggrin: However in 3rd year, a lot of the durham contingent apply there because they are already around there.
Reply 51
Original post by Lantana
:yep::biggrin: However in 3rd year, a lot of the durham contingent apply there because they are already around there.

Do people often live in Newcastle for the other 3 base units and then commute or what?
Original post by Beska
Much appreciated.

I think this is where the criticism of Newcastle's Teesside base unit comes from. The clinical years info says "Those allocated to the Tees Base Unit during Phase II of the programme are strongly encouraged to live on Teesside for the duration of the year." - if you're placed there in year 4 you would have to move out after pre-clinical years, live there for a year, and then move back to Newcastle for year 4. I can see that being a pain.

I don't think we have any (clinical) Newcastle medics on TSR do we?

I'm at Teesside this year after doing the preclinical years in Newcastle and I'm actually enjoying the change of scene, plus the quality of teaching at James Cook is far superior to that from the other base units supposedly. It's also good that we've been able to meet people from the Durham campus before they come back up to Newcastle with us in fourth year, which I've enjoyed as well. The only downside I can see is that friends off other courses leave this year and it would of been nice to see them more before they left.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread I'll add that if you don't want to go to Teesside, it's very very likely that you won't have to as most of the Durham people stay there and fill those spaces. The travel bursary if you're in Tees is £255 which doesn't go too far but this year I'm paying £35 a week accommodation for a nicer house than I was paying £70 for in Newcastle. Anything else you want to know just ask.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
All the Newcastle medics I never knew existed are coming out of the woodwork! :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by Beska
Do people often live in Newcastle for the other 3 base units and then commute or what?

I'll let you know next year:biggrin: From what I've gathered, Tyne and Wear are the most commutable, Hexham and Wansbeck (Northumbria) are commutable and Tees is possible but it's easier to live out.

Original post by FeelTheMagic

I thought this was true for 3rd year but not for 5th year?
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm at Teesside this year after doing the preclinical years in Newcastle and I'm actually enjoying the change of scene, plus the quality of teaching at James Cook is far superior to that from the other base units supposedly. It's also good that we've been able to meet people from the Durham campus before they come back up to Newcastle with us in fourth year, which I've enjoyed as well. The only downside I can see is that friends off other courses leave this year and it would of been nice to see them more before they left.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread I'll add that if you don't want to go to Teesside, it's very very likely that you won't have to as most of the Durham people stay there and fill those spaces. The travel bursary if you're in Tees is £255 which doesn't go too far but this year I'm paying £35 a week accommodation for a nicer house than I was paying £70 for in Newcastle. Anything else you want to know just ask.

Lantana

Guys, as I'm not planning on staying in London for house jobs and currently looking at Mersey, North Yorkshire or Northern deaneries, I am trying to do a little research on the individual areas.

What are your hospitals like as a whole? I'm looking for good, close messes, good nightlife/social life and not a real ****hole in terms of locale. Opinions would be greatly appreciated on your hospitals and living in the north east generally!

And THIRTY FIVE pounds a week rent?? Did I misread that?!
Original post by Lantana

I thought this was true for 3rd year but not for 5th year?

Which part are you on about sorry? I think you mean chances of ending up in Tees so I'll answer that and hope I'm right. Basically third year if you don't want to be there you probably won't and then in 5th year the demand for Tees goes up due to the cheaper cost of living and also the better teaching making it easier to get one of the bases where you can stay in Newcastle. Honestly, the change of scenery is nice midway through the course anyway!
Original post by digitalis

What are your hospitals like as a whole? I'm looking for good, close messes, good nightlife/social life and not a real ****hole in terms of locale. Opinions would be greatly appreciated on your hospitals and living in the north east generally!

And THIRTY FIVE pounds a week rent?? Did I misread that?!

I'm not too sure about the whole of the northern deanery tbh as in the first two years we literally spent about 3 hours in 5 different hospitals. But from what I've seen of James Cook, it's an amazing hospital with accommodation just over the road. Middlesbrough at the weekend is surprisingly a great night out even compared to Newcastle and there are smaller, nicer places such as Yarm, which are really good but a bit more expensive.

And although it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on Newcastle's hospitals, the place is honestly the best place I've ever been. People are so friendly, it's the best night out I've ever had and the drinks are ridiculously cheap (3 trebles for £5). I'm definitely hoping to be able to stay up here after graduating.

Yeah I'm paying 35 a week rent but that is in Stockton, which isn't the most pleasant of places. The house is far better than the one I was living in at Newcastle for twice the price. I'm quite sure the hospital accommodation at James Cook is about 50 a week with all the trimmings but don't quote me on that and if you want a nicer location, it'll still be a lot cheaper than most other parts of the country. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I can try and find out for you.
Reply 58
Original post by digitalis
All the deaneries, as they're so big, are going to have a true mix of good and bad hospitals as well as nice and not-so-nice places to live.
Reply 59
I'm not too sure about the whole of the northern deanery tbh as in the first two years we literally spent about 3 hours in 5 different hospitals. But from what I've seen of James Cook, it's an amazing hospital with accommodation just over the road. Middlesbrough at the weekend is surprisingly a great night out even compared to Newcastle and there are smaller, nicer places such as Yarm, which are really good but a bit more expensive.

And although it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on Newcastle's hospitals, the place is honestly the best place I've ever been. People are so friendly, it's the best night out I've ever had and the drinks are ridiculously cheap (3 trebles for £5). I'm definitely hoping to be able to stay up here after graduating.

Yeah I'm paying 35 a week rent but that is in Stockton, which isn't the most pleasant of places. The house is far better than the one I was living in at Newcastle for twice the price. I'm quite sure the hospital accommodation at James Cook is about 50 a week with all the trimmings but don't quote me on that and if you want a nicer location, it'll still be a lot cheaper than most other parts of the country. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I can try and find out for you.

mind you, on £35 a week, you could afford to get out of stockton every weekend, or go abroad for a city break every month. thats as a student...
magic times at northern med schools.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply