The Student Room Group

Assignment Grading (Merit/Distinction)

hi

I need some advice or info,

on my Access course, I have completed 2 assignments for 1 unit

On 1 assignment I got a level 3 distinction, and on the other I got just a level 3.

so how would this be marked as overall? for the unit

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I'm not completely sure as the Access grading system seems strangely confusing but...

I think the tutors look to the mean score? So if you recieved a distinction and then a pass you would be awarded a merit overall.

I'm not totally sure so the best thing to do would be to ask a tutor.

Good luck anyways.
Reply 2
This is anecdotal, but I know for one unit we're doing we have two opportunities to get a distinction; if we don't achieve a distinction with the first assignment, one in the second would earn us a distinction overall.

If the same applies to you, I suppose you'd get a distinction, although only your tutor can say for sure :smile:
Reply 3
My understanding is that there are varying grade descriptors for each assignment. For example, my last assignment had this descriptors: Application of skills, Communication and presentation, Quality. You can get a Pass/Merit or Distintion for each area........ The tutor then takes the MEDIAN score as the overall grade.

When dealing with units that have multiple assignments my understanding is that again they take the Median grade. However, if you end up in a situation where you have say MMM & DDD from two assignments, they would look at the quality to decide whether the unit was a Merit or Distinction as a whole.

IMO the Access grading system is quite fair and you do get given every chance to maximise your overall score. (certainly at my college anyway)
Reply 4
I am told by my lecturers that they're subject to moderation. this scares me, because i don't really want to lose my 3 distinctions :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by j0nnn
I am told by my lecturers that they're subject to moderation. this scares me, because i don't really want to lose my 3 distinctions :frown:

Yes, that is true but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

My understanding is that an external verifier comes in at the end of the year and is allowed to look through all of the assignments handed in over the year. Obviously they must pick a few from each unit at random and check that the teachers grading is fair and consistent.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as all the tutors are doing their job properly.

I mean you worry about losing distintions................ but what if your tutors have been too tough and some of your merits get upgraded to distinctions?

Stay positive. :cool:
Reply 6
It might also mean that the piece of level 3 work you did is part of a larger project. It will be graded as level 3, but they will not write P/M/D on it. Which Access are you doing? I'm currently doing science :smile:
Reply 7
Hi all

Wonder if anyone can answer me this. I tried to phone the exam board that runs my Access course on 23rd Dec but was unable to get through to the lady I needed to pose the question to.

How do the credits work on your access course and how do you find out what you have for eachindividual credit so far? (Pass/Merit/Distinction).

I am in the second year of my access course now, and for Mathematics which i took in my first year, the statement of results I received reads as;

L3 Mathematics Unit 1 - Distinction - 9 credits
L3 Mathematics Unit 2 - Distinction - 9 credits
L3 Study Skills Module - Distinction - 6 credits

The thing is, I know for a fact that in my first maths test it was graded as M/D/D, so there are credits there which must have been assigned merit grades. All I can see is that, as above, I have been awarded distinctions overall for 1st year but that surely can't signify that I have 24 credits all at distinction so far can it?? I'm sure I must have merit credits.

Pretty confused. How do YOUR credits work?

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Joel1985
Hi all

The thing is, I know for a fact that in my first maths test it was graded as M/D/D, so there are credits there which must have been assigned merit grades. All I can see is that, as above, I have been awarded distinctions overall for 1st year but that surely can't signify that I have 24 credits all at distinction so far can it?? I'm sure I must have merit credits.

Thanks

Yes, that looks like 24 credits @ Distinctions to me.

M/D/D would equal an overall Distinction for that test. - So however many credits that test was worth you gained at Distinction.

I don't know if this link is of any help: http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/home/publications/AdmissionsGuidanceHEStaff/AccessAdmissionsGuide.pdf

To be honest the whole thing is a bit confusing; I thought I understood how it worked but having read your post and that link I am now a bit confused myself! :redface:

I just want to pass with 25 distinctions... I hope it isn't going to be impossible :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Hi all

Wonder if anyone can answer me this. I tried to phone the exam board that runs my Access course on 23rd Dec but was unable to get through to the lady I needed to pose the question to.

How do the credits work on your access course and how do you find out what you have for eachindividual credit so far? (Pass/Merit/Distinction).

I am in the second year of my access course now, and for Mathematics which i took in my first year, the statement of results I received reads as;

L3 Mathematics Unit 1 - Distinction - 9 credits
L3 Mathematics Unit 2 - Distinction - 9 credits
L3 Study Skills Module - Distinction - 6 credits

Thanks

Say, for example, unit A is worth 3 credits, and you did 5 assignments for that unit graded PMDDD. You would receive a D overall for that unit, giving you 3 credits at distinction. This won't gave any bearing on the grading for a different unit.

It appears as though you have 24 credits at distinction in the bag that you don't have to worry about. :smile: Hope that helps.
Reply 10
Original post by BigV
Yes, that is true but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

My understanding is that an external verifier comes in at the end of the year and is allowed to look through all of the assignments handed in over the year. Obviously they must pick a few from each unit at random and check that the teachers grading is fair and consistent.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as all the tutors are doing their job properly.

I mean you worry about losing distintions................ but what if your tutors have been too tough and some of your merits get upgraded to distinctions?

Stay positive. :cool:

haha thanks dude, probably just worrying too much. apparently our first biology unit is being sent off for moderation in january. however, even if the worst happens (and i am prepared for it,) i will just see it as an indication to step up and do better. hopefully. i'd argue my course is not very competitive in comparison to yours and others anyway (chemistry).

by the way, congratulations on your response from leicester. its promising to see a fellow access student doing well!
Reply 11
Thanks BigV and alexa for your help. After reading the attachment that you linked to BigV, I'm feeling a bit more confident that it ties in with what alexa is saying and that I seem to have achieved 24 credits at distinction thus far :smile:

It's funny, as it seems that each individual access course ran by different colleges nationwide has a different structure. Mine is as follows;

3 Modules to make up Access to HE award (For example, mine are Mathematics, English Language, English Literature)
2 Units per Module, so 6 units in total
9 Credits per unit, so 18 credits per module

Are yours similar to this? or do you have more units spread throughout with less credits making up each?
Thanks BigV and alexa for your help. After reading the attachment that you linked to BigV, I'm feeling a bit more confident that it ties in with what alexa is saying and that I seem to have achieved 24 credits at distinction thus far :smile:

It's funny, as it seems that each individual access course ran by different colleges nationwide has a different structure. Mine is as follows;

3 Modules to make up Access to HE award (For example, mine are Mathematics, English Language, English Literature)

Are yours similar to this? or do you have more units spread throughout with less credits making up each?

Hi Joel1985
each individual college who offer the new Access to He Diploma will structure their courses differently
On my next Course which will be the level 3 Diploma.You can chose three out of the 8 subjects that are available to you.There is also different pathways you can chose from depending on what career you wish to pursue
For example we have at my college a choice of three pathways
*Science
*Education and Hummanties
*Nursing and Midwifery

I be hoping to do the science pathway in September 2011
Which will give me a grand total of 54 credits at level 3 where i be able to be awared rather a Pass,Merit or Distinction the remainder will be at level 2.
The breakdown of credits at my college will be 3 credits per each assignment so for example on the physics subject
You have a possiablty of attaining 12 credits at level 3 for 4 graded assignments in this subject compared to the Health science subject were you have more level 3 credits to gain
We all do a Study Skills and Maths unit regardless of what pathway you doing as well as the manadory It Unit as well
I think on our Access to He diploma programmes our credits are spread out evenly than having less in them
hope this makes sense
Reply 13

Mine is a bit different to yours.

3 subjects, chosen from a list of about 9

5 Units per subject, so 15 units in total

Each unit assessed by either 1 piece of coursework OR 1 exam - All level 3 pieces of work, all carrying 3 credits at either Pass, Merit or Distinction

Gives a total of 45 Credits achievable at Pass, Merit or Distinction

I then have

Comms - 3 units at level 3 - all carrying 3 credits at either Pass, Merit or Distinction
Study Skills - 2 optional units at level 3 - both with 3 credits at Pass, Merit or Distinction (i believe, but i am not 100% on these two)

This gives me a possible 60 credits at level 3 at either Pass, Merit or Distinction

As well at core maths - assessed at level 2. I complete this at the end of January.
Reply 14
Original post by josh_v
Mine is a bit different to yours.

3 subjects, chosen from a list of about 9

5 Units per subject, so 15 units in total

Each unit assessed by either 1 piece of coursework OR 1 exam - All level 3 pieces of work, all carrying 3 credits at either Pass, Merit or Distinction

Gives a total of 45 Credits achievable at Pass, Merit or Distinction

I then have

Comms - 3 units at level 3 - all carrying 3 credits at either Pass, Merit or Distinction
Study Skills - 2 optional units at level 3 - both with 3 credits at Pass, Merit or Distinction (i believe, but i am not 100% on these two)

This gives me a possible 60 credits at level 3 at either Pass, Merit or Distinction

As well at core maths - assessed at level 2. I complete this at the end of January.

I see.

So, purely as an example, say you were to hand in an assignment worth a total of 3 credits in unit 1, and you achieved individual marks of MMDD for it, meaning you got a Distinction overall for that assignment, would all 3 of the credits you receive be graded at Distinction because that is the overall mark? Despite the two merits on the assignment?
Reply 15
I see.

So, purely as an example, say you were to hand in an assignment worth a total of 3 credits in unit 1, and you achieved individual marks of MMDD for it, meaning you got a Distinction overall for that assignment, would all 3 of the credits you receive be graded at Distinction because that is the overall mark? Despite the two merits on the assignment?

Yes, thats how my course works.

My first business studies assignment had 5 grading criteria. I achieved D,D,D,D,P in those 5 criteria and therefore the assignment was an overall distinction. I was awarded level 3 - distinction and therefore 3 credits at distinction for this.

Edit: Why would someone neg this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alexa2101
Say, for example, unit A is worth 3 credits, and you did 5 assignments for that unit graded PMDDD. You would receive a D overall for that unit, giving you 3 credits at distinction. This won't gave any bearing on the grading for a different unit.

It appears as though you have 24 credits at distinction in the bag that you don't have to worry about. :smile: Hope that helps.

Thanks alexa2101 for this information.So what overal grade would you get overall if you had achieved DDMMP on assignment alexa2101? as geting such grading on assignment could happen.I dont get how this grading works to be tbh with you and everyone else.At the moment on my pre-access course i just need to pass each assignment and meet the criteria given however when i get on the next course ie Level 3 diploma all this changes and now i need to get the highest grades i can get in order to get into University.
Reply 17
Original post by wizardtop

Thanks alexa2101 for this information.So what overal grade would you get overall if you had achieved DDMMP on assignment alexa2101? as geting such grading on assignment could happen.I dont get how this grading works to be tbh with you and everyone else.At the moment on my pre-access course i just need to pass each assignment and meet the criteria given however when i get on the next course ie Level 3 diploma all this changes and now i need to get the highest grades i can get in order to get into University.

See this seems to be where it gets a lil fuzzy with the details. I am under the impression that it is taken from the median, so you would acheive a merit for that unit if that was the case. Personally, I would double check with your tutors. I'm doing an access course in wales, so there may be a different system reguarding that situation.

And your welcome. :biggrin:
Original post by alexa2101
See this seems to be where it gets a lil fuzzy with the details. I am under the impression that it is taken from the median, so you would acheive a merit for that unit if that was the case. Personally, I would double check with your tutors. I'm doing an access course in wales, so there may be a different system reguarding that situation.

And your welcome. :biggrin:

Thanks for clarifying this up alexa2101.I am not on the graded access diploma yet thats later this year fingers crossed,sorry if i confused you a little alexa2101.The degrees i am looking at the mo want the majority of credits at Merit but i guess by the time i hopefully apply in later 2011 that will have changed lol
Reply 19
Copied and pasted this from my UCAS app. 60 credits at level 3, Access to Science:

Human Biology - Units of Life - 6 Creds
Human Biology - Circulatory & Respiratory Systems - 6 Creds
Human Biology - Biochemistry - 6 Creds
Human Biology - Digestive System - 3 Creds
Human Biology - Homeostasis - 3 Creds
Human Biology - Genetics - 3 Creds
Human Biology - Health and Disease - 3 Creds
Human Biology - Micro-nutrient Research - 3 Creds

Chemistry - Laboratory Skills - 6 Creds
Chemistry - Investigative Skills - 6 Creds
Chemistry - Chemical Trends - 3 Creds
Chemistry - Practical Organic Chemistry - 3 Creds