The Student Room Group

OCR Salters Chemistry B F332 Advance Notice Jan 2011 Understanding Our Changing Atmos

Just thought that I would start a thread where you can post any queries and suggestions about the Advance notice booklet for Jan 2011.

The topics are:

Tropospheric Chemistry

Impacts of Tropospheric Chemistry

Simulation Chambers and Field Experiments

Big up DCMC!! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
'''
Reply 3
Joining this thread.
Reply 4
Anyone can join, don't be shy!! :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Swain

Original post by Swain
Anyone can join, don't be shy!! :tongue:

Looks like its just us. Anyways, maybe closer to the time we should test each toehr with article related questions?
Reply 6
Yeah sure. :smile:
And it comes up in Orange on my PC, have u got Internet Explorer 7??
Reply 7
i think it would be great if we could all upload questions...no matter how silly or how hard. That way we wud cover those 20marks ocr can throw at us!!
those who havn't got it you can find it here:

www.ocr.org.uk/download/prm/ocr_52652_prm_gce_unit_f332.pdf

OCR Bsalters january 2011 advanced notice.

LET me start it off:

Q) Define PPB?
ok, you guys need to help me expand on this and relate more questions, but:

Concentration by volume of one part of a gas (or vapor) or substance per billion parts of air or liquid. e.g. One ppb is roughly equivalent to a teaspoon of material in an Olympic-size swimming pool.
(obv not ocr materail) lol
Reply 8
I hate this exam. got an E last time :/
stupid advance notice.

anyone got an idea of what questions might come up?
Reply 9
Original post by tailor
x

Q) Define PPB

PPB is defined as "parts per billion". This is often used in atmospheric chemistry when PPB would be used to show the amount of "useful" reacting molecules per billion molecules of air.

Thats what i would have said in an exam.

Q) Explain the nature of the graphs shown in Fig.1
Reply 10
I think it's just me but this years advanced notice seems a load of jibberish to me. When i read it I struggle to think of questions they can really and truly ask. I know they will ask a PPB question again as there was some debate about it in the summer. An obvious question they will ask is the radical chain reaction which shouldn't be too bad. I think they're also going to ask about the effects of ozone in the troposhphere and I have an inkling they are going to focus their questions of these graphs.

I'll see if I can buckle up some questions from this stupid thing :tongue:

Anyone come up with anything so far?

Original post by 0201Bean
I hate this exam. got an E last time :/
stupid advance notice.

join the club lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Has anyone got a list of questions that will possibly come up for the Chemistry Advance Notice, F332?

The cyclic diagram pg3 confuses me >.<

Thanks in advance!
Reply 12
What did everyone get in the June paper, 2010?
Reply 13
1. Explain the term radical.
2. Show the radical chain reaction of the break down of ozone.
3. Show the radical chain reaction between hydroxy radicals and an alkane.
4. Name another source of NOx production.
5. The atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean is regarded as ‘clean’. Why is the NOx concentrations in this atmosphere relatively low?
6. Show the reaction between an organic peroxy radical and an NO radical.
7. Explain what is meant by the term propagation.
8. Practice E=hv questions as I have a feeling one may come up.
9. Name 2 other greenhouse gases.
10. Explain how greenhouse gases contribute to global warming .(common question)
11. What is photochemical smog?
12. Why was the photochemical smog observed over many cities during summertime and not any other period within the year?
13. Why is ozone harmful in the troposphere?
14. In LA in the late 70’s ozone levels reached up to 500ppb where now they are 580ppb. What is the percentage increase in the ozone level concentration? (580ppb is a made up value)
15. Define the term photolysis.
16. Show the reaction between benzene and OH radicals.
17. During the EUPHORE experiment for NO2 there is some noise. Suggest a reason for this.
18. Describe the difference between NO2 and NO during the EUPORE experiments.

Couple questions I made and don't have answers for them. We may have different answers so its better if we all dicuss it

Original post by coffee345
What did everyone get in the June paper, 2010?

Got an E, really don'tknow how though :/
(edited 13 years ago)
1)Why dont CFCs break down in the troposphere?

2)Why is loss of stratosperic ozone a cause for concern?

3) Where is the largest decrease in stratospheric ozone and why?

4) Uses of CFCs and why?

5) Name other radicals which destroy ozone?

6) What type of reaction is the depletion of ozone?

7) Why is activation enthalpy important when comparing rates of 2 competing reactions?

Might have gone slightly away from the advance notice but its in the storylines so may be linked to the notice, mainly focused on "Impacts of Tropospheric Ozone"
Reply 15
Hello. I'm resitting this exam in january. I got a C last time and I need a B. It looks like there will probably be questions about radical reactions, global warming, ozone breakdown, sources of atmospheric radicals and greenhouse gases, can't think of anything else at the moment, only had a brief look though. Most likely a standard graph analysis question.

Nice questions patrick93 - i'll post an attempt at answering for discussion shortly.
Reply 16
Does anyone understand the cycle diagram? Im a bit confused on it :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by 04rair

Original post by 04rair
Does anyone understand the cycle diagram? Im a bit confused on it :frown:

I kinda do, is there anything particular you don't understand? maybe i can help.
Reply 18
Hey guys :smile:
The graph is a major concern for me :/ and because it's so confusing we're clearly going to be grilled about this :/ Does anyone actually understand what's happening here?
why is it at 11.00, NO2 concentrations are the highest?
I understand that nitrogen monoxide radicals combine with an oxygen atome to give nitrogen diooxide, so when NO concentrations are high, NO2 concentrations are low since they are inversely related.
So my question is, from 11.00-13.30 NO2 concentrations generally decrease, so why doesn't NO concentration increase simultaneously? Instead it just flattens out......
Has anyone got the slighest clue whats going on???
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
What is Scheme 1 that it keeps referring to?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest