The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Zürich
If the watch lasts 30 years then that's £50 a year. Besides, a watch should do more than tell the time.
Should it tell everybody how much money you have?

I guess so.
Original post by RobbieC
Should it tell everybody how much money you have?

I guess so.

Reply 982
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Is this for a first year analyst? Do you really think it's wise, for an analyst to spend 17k on watches? I mean, really...who's going to be impressed by a £5000 rolex?

Well a £5k rolex is not intended to be particularly impressive being as its a day to day watch, that's the point of it as it is fairly understated. A nice white gold or steel number, gmt, sub, datejust or such. Functional, not too flashy, can take a bit of abuse but still a lovely, top qualit watch... perfect.

The Patek however would be a stunnning piece, even the basic Calatrava is very beautiful and for a more formal watch, Patek is my all time favourite brand, if you are ever in the company of another watch lover it is one of those that they will always notice and will have to take a look at.

I do not suppose many first year analysts could afford to buy these both, well not without either parents cash or nice earnings before starting the grad position, certainly the £5k day to day would be a nice choice though with the sign on bonus though! But if you did do good before starting the grad programme and got a good £100k saved up or your parents are looking to pick you up something really great for your bday, etc then I think picking up both makes sense for sure.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 983
Original post by rozzr
Well a £5k rolex is not intended to be particularly impressive being as its a day to day watch, that's the point of it as it is fairly understated. A nice white gold or steel number, gmt, sub, datejust or such. Functional, not too flashy, can take a bit of abuse but still a lovely, top qualit watch... perfect.

The Patek however would be a stunnning piece, even the basic Calatrava is very beautiful and for a more formal watch, Patek is my all time favourite brand, if you are ever in the company of another watch lover it is one of those that they will always notice and will have to take a look at.

I do not suppose many first year analysts could afford to buy these both, well not without either parents cash or nice earnings before starting the grad position, certainly the £5k day to day would be a nice choice though with the sign on bonus though! But if you did do good before starting the grad programme and got a good £100k saved up or your parents are looking to pick you up something really great for your bday, etc then I think picking up both makes sense for sure.

I would not show up with a rolex as a first year analyst. I can imagine it would rub some ppl the wrong way.

I don't know about you but I would feel way to weird with a rolex on my wrist as a 21 year old grad.
Original post by acies
I would not show up with a rolex as a first year analyst. I can imagine it would rub some ppl the wrong way.

I don't know about you but I would feel way to weird with a rolex on my wrist as a 21 year old grad.

Agreed. Spending 18k on watches is ridiculous.
Reply 985
Anyone who spends their sign-on on a watch is a massive tit
Reply 986
Original post by acies

If it is a subtle one, it is absolutely fine. If you start moving into yellow or even rose gold numbers then i would agree it is not really appropriate for a first year analyst day to day.

I saw interns with Rolex's, one was a white gold datejust II and the other was a steel gmt master II, no-one thought it was wierd just wanted to check them out - senior guys didn't seem to give a ****.

What was REALLY bad, was some guy who was wearing a trashy monster gold watch, clearly very low quality fake crap costing about £10, but could be noticed from the other side of the trading floor lol. Now that is bad and really wil rub people the wrong way!!
Reply 987
Original post by Christo
Anyone who spends their sign-on on a watch is a massive tit

Varies person to person, if you have plenty saved up already for whatever reason then going out and spending the bonus on a watch you really love is a great idea.

Of course if you finished up broke from uni and didn't manage to build up any savings and have only debt, then buying a luxury watch is stupid.
Original post by rozzr
Varies person to person, if you have plenty saved up already for whatever reason then going out and spending the bonus on a watch you really love is a great idea.

Of course if you finished up broke from uni and didn't manage to build up any savings and have only debt, then buying a luxury watch is stupid.

I can think of at least 100 better ways to spend 18k than buying luxury watches.
This thread makes me laugh. Quite frankly, I wonder how many of the people proposing to spend thousands on suits have been on a trading floor.

I've seen everything from analysts to directors come into work with trainers (then changing into normal shoes) and full suits are not worn on trading desks. Shirts and trousers suffice for normal days. Put a jacket on your chair and a tie in your drawer.

To be frank, I'm happy to be working on a trading desk next year and don't need to give a **** what pompous ***** think a "IBD" analyst needs to have to be considered worthy of acknowledgement.
Reply 990
Original post by Zürich
If the watch lasts 30 years then that's £50 a year. Besides, a watch should do more than tell the time.

Are you advocating the use of calculator watches? :biggrin:

:getmecoat:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 991
Original post by Swayum
Are you advocating the use of calculator watches? :biggrin:

:getmecoat:

You, foreign film, pinot noir, PLUS, PLUS, subtitles, MINUS?
Reply 992
does this thread sum up investment banking as a whole? If what clothes you are wearing is such a pre-occupance, it kind of worries me what this career entails. It's always great to have nice clothes, and its a reasonable worry not knowing how to dress (so this thread has a use), but spending what could be considered the cost of a degree on watches just seems so ludicrous it's worrying. I almost think investment banking creates it's own vicious cycle with poor (not in the monetary sense of course) new analysts tihnking they need such expensive items!

I used to think american pyscho was fairly exagerated, but somehow it might have been far closer to reality then you'd realise!

Overall, get a few nice suits (and skirt suits for the few girls that seem to be in ib), a good supply of shirts (varying colours, so it doesn't look like you wear the same one) and a few pairs of shoes. Thereafter, see what your department does. You don't want to buy everything just yet. See what your colleagues wear and buy a bit more after that!!

and let's not forget the business card :smile:
Reply 993
Lol. What's with all the 10K plus quotes for stuff?!? I don't recall anyone in their 2nd years dropping 10K plus on clothes. Some 1st years did - but typically they realised no one cared about that stuff by the 2nd wardrobe update.

I reckon you can set up your initial wardrobe for around 1-2k (or less) dependent on how much you want to spend. It's about how the clothes look on you, not the brand.

Moreover, in reality, first years are the newbies at the firm. It doesn't matter how sharp your suit is, you look 21!! That means you don't have any real work or content experience behind you and so you can't really do anything! Since everyone (clients and colleagues) can see this, no one is expecting much other than for you to work hard, aim to learn lots, do the rubbish 'cut your teeth' jobs and follow the rules.

MY VIEW ON WARDROBES - LOOK PROFESSIONAL, BUT YOU'RE NOT AT GUCCI. IN FACT, THE ONLY MODELLING WE DO IS BUILDING EXCEL MODELS!
Watch - analogues only (digital is just very studenty). If you don't want to shell out for a decent one (I'm thinking 0.7K - 1K, not 5k!) then just don't bother with it.

Suits - 3 is fine. Paul Smith at 700 quid is good, but then so is every other brand out there pretty much. All that matters is that it doesn't look cheap and that it sits well on you. I personally found a great way to waste money was to buy mid-market (e.g. Calvin Klein). They tend to be of the worst materials. Either splash out on a high-end brand or buy something cheap that looks good (believe it or not, even Debenhams gets the job done). Also, you don't need to buy all 3 at once. 2 initially is fine (just make sure they're reasonably non-descript) then buy the 3rd later when you find a good deal.

Shirts - no one cares, you can barely see the shirt under the suit anyway. TM Lewin / Hawes and Curtis get the job done, but so does M&S. Say 7 shirts at 30-50 quid each. Once again - it's about the cut, not the brand. The only key point is to make sure your shirts are primarily whites and blues (possibly with a pink and avoid yellows unless its just the shirt lines that are yellow)

Ties - nice ties are important. You can buy 'nice' ones for between 30-50 quid. The only reason they're important is that the material quality is most evident on ties - and the label is more likely to show. Dependent on your role you may never have need for them though. So maybe you only need 2-3 in some jobs.

Shoes - 1 pair to start you off is fine. Think 100-150quid. Check the soles of the shoes have a good grip, else you'll slip on the ibank floor and look like a pr1ck. Some also have the clacking noise of high heels - that's not good

The key thing is to remember who you are - you are a 1st year and you can't do anything yet. Sorry if this bursts the high-end glamour illusion of banking that first years sometimes mistakenly perceive. Banking is a knowledge industry - and all your academic knowledge is broadly useless in the job. If you want to nail the job, you need to work hard and make sure your output is top-notch. Maintain a PROFESSIONAL image (e.g. no black shirts) since that's a required and expected minimum, but don't start dropping all your hard earned cash trying to look like the dog's b0llocks. No one cares and rucking up in your 5K get-up just tends to be perceived by your seniors as sweetly naive!
(edited 13 years ago)
When analyst years end, a total spend of 16k is far from unlikely.

Floor/Wall, completely different.

I change into white loafers at work.
Reply 995
Original post by Lorchii
does this thread sum up investment banking as a whole? If what clothes you are wearing is such a pre-occupance, it kind of worries me what this career entails. It's always great to have nice clothes, and its a reasonable worry not knowing how to dress (so this thread has a use), but spending what could be considered the cost of a degree on watches just seems so ludicrous it's worrying. I almost think investment banking creates it's own vicious cycle with poor (not in the monetary sense of course) new analysts tihnking they need such expensive items!

I used to think american pyscho was fairly exagerated, but somehow it might have been far closer to reality then you'd realise!

Overall, get a few nice suits (and skirt suits for the few girls that seem to be in ib), a good supply of shirts (varying colours, so it doesn't look like you wear the same one) and a few pairs of shoes. Thereafter, see what your department does. You don't want to buy everything just yet. See what your colleagues wear and buy a bit more after that!!

and let's not forget the business card :smile:

your third paragraph is deemed somewhat irrelevant given your first. all in all a great post.
Original post by President_Ben

I change into white loafers at work.

Saw some dude on an internship last year who were beige suits and white pointy shiny shoes... amazing ****.

Think he wisened up after a week.
Original post by TwinsOrAlpha?
Saw some dude on an internship last year who were beige suits and white pointy shiny shoes... amazing ****.

Think he wisened up after a week.

Think I was a year and a bit my job before I decided to start breaking out white loafers.
Reply 998
Quite obviously you don't NEED to buy luxury apparell, indeed I can see that for some the idea of buying nice suits, watches and so on is a bit of a taboo! The point is that it is very nice to be able to afford that Hermes tie or those John Lobb loafers for example, and many people will derive much pleasure from purchasing and wearing such items.

Luxury goods are by definition not a necessity, and you could always go with the budget substitute, but I would suggest that the majority of people do not work in banking as simply a means to a life of mediocrity and without luxury - otherwise go and get a job with better hours. Even first year analysts start on a totally sufficient wage to go out and buy a few nice items.

Yes, a M&S shirt will do the job and get you through the day, but so would working in Accounting at Tesco.... why settle for mediocrity in what you wear and how you present yourself to the world when striving for excellence in every other aspect of life?
Original post by rozzr
Quite obviously you don't NEED to buy luxury apparell, indeed I can see that for some the idea of buying nice suits, watches and so on is a bit of a taboo! The point is that it is very nice to be able to afford that Hermes tie or those John Lobb loafers for example, and many people will derive much pleasure from purchasing and wearing such items.

Luxury goods are by definition not a necessity, and you could always go with the budget substitute, but I would suggest that the majority of people do not work in banking as simply a means to a life of mediocrity and without luxury - otherwise go and get a job with better hours. Even first year analysts start on a totally sufficient wage to go out and buy a few nice items.

Yes, a M&S shirt will do the job and get you through the day, but so would working in Accounting at Tesco.... why settle for mediocrity in what you wear and how you present yourself to the world when striving for excellence in every other aspect of life?

Just out of curiosity, where do you work and how long have you been in the business?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending