The Student Room Group

How do I invest £50 in stocks or shares?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Cobrabite11
Well could anyone suggest the best way to use £600 I have. I don't like it just sitting there in my bank not doing anything.

Safest option is put it into and ISA. I think HSBC have good interest rates at the moment but you'd have to check. Stocks n Shares is always a gamble and costs loads to set up.
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Like I said, I can say I shagged your mother last night. There's no way for me to prove that, just like there is no way for you to prove your claim that someone you met made that much from the stock market.

To be fair you offered no proof either; if you're going to hold him to that at least provide some evidence that matches your criteria.

Not having a go at you; I'm just curious and would like to see some proof either way.
Reply 42
Go down Ladbrokes and say "I'd like to place fifty of the queen's english sovs on the biggest piece of three legged horse meat that ever attracted 250-1 AP." Then, slap your pony down on the counter and watch the good times roll in.
Reply 43
Lmfao, you can't make any money with £500 nevermind £50

I did actually - made a decent amount on both ARMH and VOD with £500 each.
Original post by simstar
Well if you can make greater than the interest rate (not too much then) then you're heading in the right direction. Making 10% a year would be achievable, would it not?

I didn't really go name calling, it was just a term to describe you, I wont permanently think of you as that, just regarding that comment.

I'm not a child and work for a great financial services firm! Thanks loool

Well you should think of better ways to convey yourself rather than resulting to name calling if you work in banking.
Original post by Shortarse1
To be fair you offered no proof either; if you're going to hold him to that at least provide some evidence that matches your criteria.

Not having a go at you; I'm just curious and would like to see some proof either way.

Proof of what?
Original post by Reems
In the last 3 years i've seen a few multibaggers.

500 into 3000 is not a bad profit.

Holding on to a basket of penny stock oil exploration companies is a punt in the dark like no other.

If I'm wrong, shoot me down, however - it's unlikely you've any experience of deep sea drilling, it's unlikely you have any knowledge of geological formations pertaining to the finding of oil and I'm guessing you've not much in the way of expertise in Argentinian politics, in the case of Falkland related exploration?

So - if you've none of the above, what makes making money on the equities you quoted anything more than a roll of the dice?
Proof of what?

That there's no point in investing however much he the other poster said you could profit from. Not so much, proof, but a supportign example.
Reply 48
Go practice and learn first before wasting your money:

www.bullbearings.co.uk
Just spend your ****ing money!
how? you don't?

£50 will just cover you're buying and selling commission fees
There isn't really any point in investing less than £10,000 and even then you're not going to make much of a return.
Cool. How did they do it?

Firstly, go read a ton of books. It isn't as easy as: Step 1, have money. Step 2: Go online. Step 3: Invest. Step 4: Profit. -.-

If anything pops up on the news that in anyway can harm your shares, you will be forced to make a vital decision within minutes. If you make the wrong one, your money just got pwned.

Go read a ton of finance and marketing related books, then to select a company to invest in, research about that company for about a week.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
There isn't really any point in investing less than £10,000 and even then you're not going to make much of a return.

You're kidding me?

I gave my brother £1500, he invested it for the long term - about a year, and got me £7500.

So yeah, you can make a pretty huge return, depending on how skilled your research is, as well as a hint of luck.
Reply 54

This is wrong, you have obvisouly never looked at AIM shares, stick to law nextime mate.
Reply 55
I would recommend doing some fantasy trading first, before you spend any money.

Like everybody else said - £50 isn't much, try to invest more.
Original post by Shortarse1
That there's no point in investing however much he the other poster said you could profit from. Not so much, proof, but a supportign example.

OK, well it's simple logic. If you invest £50 in stocks, then the cost of the broker will be around £10 alone, possibly more, then you have to factor in what you are buying into, i.e FTSE 100 shares, 250 etc. Cost of shares will be different, and you're not going to be making a decent profit for tens of years with just £50. The fact that he would post such a silly statement is proof of the fact that he doesn't know anything about what he's doing or what type market he should get into.

You shouldn't have said that, now you're going to have all the postschool pre-uni kids crying at you that their uncle/brother/cousin made £2.2MIL of a £20 investment.
Original post by affleming
This is wrong, you have obvisouly never looked at AIM shares, stick to law nextime mate.

lol @ small companies
Original post by Instincts_2012
Firstly, go read a ton of books. It isn't as easy as: Step 1, have money. Step 2: Go online. Step 3: Invest. Step 4: Profit. -.-

If anything pops up on the news that in anyway can harm your shares, you will be forced to make a vital decision within minutes. If you make the wrong one, your money just got pwned.

Go read a ton of finance and marketing related books, then to select a company to invest in, research about that company for about a week.

OK, first, my post was a rhetorical question, I didn't think anyone was going to answer it, but anyway nevermind.

I don't think that reading finance or marketing books have anything to do with finding an investable company, they teach you about finance and marketing, lol...

and I don't think after research about marketing and finance that holds you in a strong position to make judgements about the stock market either
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply