The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

St. John's, History :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by junglejungle
same 'ere! then again this gap yah isn't going to mature me too much aha.
i'm going to be doing english at christ church - anyone else out there doing the same? :colondollar:

Hello! English at Christ Church as well :smile: Did you interview there?
finaaaaally i found someone else! i only interviewed at chch which worried me originally but its worked out well aha, did you interview there? if yea what dates were you there?
lets all get joining this: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=99522123966
if anyone is crazy on procrastination feel free to start off a chch group cause that would just be too cool (i'm seriously lacking the motivation to do it myself) :ahee:
Original post by lalaberlin
I know, it's like.. I have to tell myself everyday that I'm not dreaming :tongue: we were 21 for 6 places at Keble for my course, I was so intimidated while I was there, but I got along with other CompSci interviewees really well, so there was no such "21 competing for 6 places, aaaah let's battle until death"-atmosphere haha :biggrin:

Oh damn, are they being hard on you with the conditions? well mine isn't unconditional, so don't hate me :wink: I have the feeling that their conditions for UK students AAA is easier to be met than any other conditions they give international or EU applicants. For example, the average grade they asked me is achieved by no more than 3% of all secondary school graduates in the country. But since it's below my predicted grades, I'm not complaining :wink:

:ditto: My offer is well below my predicted grades but I still have that inherent fear of missing it. The only slightly tricky bit is getting an A* equivalent grade on my Economics exam which isn't all that hard but it means I can't make any major mistake on it.

I am sure you'll easily exceed your conditions! Good luck, though you don't really need it :wink:
Reply 185
Original post by TurnerE
Name (optional): Turner Edwards
Subject: Classics and French
College: Brasenose
Offer: 15 on the French Baccalaureate
How you found out: Got up at 7.30, checked my email. Nothing. Checked my email again at 7.40, and there was the email labeled "Application Decision", opened it, read the first line "I am pleased to inform you" :biggrin:
[Insert gushy, smiley-riddled response here]: I was lying in bed, so I did a little dance, then started smiling like an idiot :smile:)) Then ran downstairs told my dad, then woke up my mom, then called everybody that we know in the world...
I still can't get over it, but I guess now I just have to get the grades now... haha!

Congrats! You will love Oxford, but pack a few warm clothes if you're used to the climate in L.A. :smile:
Original post by LtCommanderData
I too had a heated towel rack :biggrin:
You know the quad area with the Christmas trees? Mine was there (so out of the window I could see the xmas trees and the lunch hall)

I think I spent more time telling my family about how great my room was than I did talking about the interviews :tongue:

Ooh. Quad rooms are great. Did you get an en-suite bathroom as well?
Original post by Sempiternitas
Ooh. Quad rooms are great. Did you get an en-suite bathroom as well?

Yep (with shower). Did you?

I even had a fire place in my room :tongue:
Original post by LtCommanderData
Yep (with shower). Did you?

I even had a fire place in my room :tongue:

Nope, but my room has two windows - one overlooking the chapel, the other overlooking the library - two huge armchairs, and a sink. On top of that it's on the ground floor. Always reminds me of Brideshead Revisited. :biggrin:
Original post by Sempiternitas
Nope, but my room has two windows - one overlooking the chapel, the other overlooking the library - two huge armchairs, and a sink. On top of that it's on the ground floor. Always reminds me of Brideshead Revisited. :biggrin:

Ah, sounds nice... Shame I definitely won't be staying in either of our lovely rooms - but hopefully exeter's are just as nice!
Law (Jurisprudence) at New College here. :smile:

I have a question for you all. A few days after getting my offer from Oxford, I noticed on my UCAS track that UCL had rejected me. Did this happen to anyone else? Is it perhaps purely coincidental?

I can't help feeling that my Oxford offer must have been a mistake (why would they want me - even after my horrible interviews - when UCL decides that I'm not worth it, based only on my UCAS application?)
Reply 191
Original post by Miss Cellaneous

I have a question for you all. A few days after getting my offer from Oxford, I noticed on my UCAS track that UCL had rejected me. Did this happen to anyone else? Is it perhaps purely coincidental?

I can't help feeling that my Oxford offer must have been a mistake (why would they want me - even after my horrible interviews - when UCL decides that I'm not worth it, based only on my UCAS application?)

That is definitely purely coincidental! :wink: UCL can't know that you got an offer from Oxford and your interviews were certainly not as horrible as you think. If they had been that horrible, you wouldn't have received an offer from them!

UCL rejected you - but who cares?! You got into Oxford! :biggrin: By the way, I haven't heard anything from UCL.
Original post by Robin123
That is definitely purely coincidental! :wink:

I hope so too. But my impression (from reading a little in the "Oxford rejections" thread), is that people who got to the interview at Oxford genereally stand a chance at all/most of their other 4 choises.

Original post by Robin123
By the way, I haven't heard anything from UCL.

Now, this scares me a little. I have yet to hear about anyone else getting a rejection (or, for that matter, an offer) from UCL so far.

This is most likely just another case of paranoia taking over. I believe it's about time for me to log off TSR and think about something else for a while. :wink:

...But if anyone else have heard from UCL already, pretty please let me know.

It takes a while for the news to sink in for the modest .
So........congratulations on your offer to read Law at Oxford....one of the most competitive and desirable courses in the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!:congrats:

...But if anyone else have heard from UCL already, pretty please let me know.

Well done on your Oxford offer!! :biggrin:

I think there's a couple of people on TSR who have offers for UCL Law - Try the Law Offers thread! :smile:

I got an offer for UCL Law before I had my Oxford interview (International). A fellow Law applicant (Home) I met at the interviews also had an offer from UCL.

Don't worry about it! Chances are, you did better than you thought at the interviews! UCL may just have a different assessment criteria; I got rejected by LSE and still don't know why they rejected me whereas UCL didn't.
Original post by FamousFourTops
Ah as if its not bad enough not getting in already!

I know! That's one of the problems with making such promises, it only makes you feel worse if you don't make it
Reply 196
Original post by mishieru07
Well done on your Oxford offer!! :biggrin:

I think there's a couple of people on TSR who have offers for UCL Law - Try the Law Offers thread! :smile:

I got an offer for UCL Law before I had my Oxford interview (International). A fellow Law applicant (Home) I met at the interviews also had an offer from UCL.

Don't worry about it! Chances are, you did better than you thought at the interviews! UCL may just have a different assessment criteria; I got rejected by LSE and still don't know why they rejected me whereas UCL didn't.

I know this is a popular opinion, but in LSE's strive to become an elitist university, and with their lack of polished selection process, they pretty much accept the best of the best of the best.

Not that I'm saying it work like, but there you go.
Tell me you buffoons didn't apply to Oxford through UCAS, if you apply privately you have a much higher chance of A. actually being accepted and B. being offered a place very quickly. Also you can apply to as many universities as you like (more than the paltry 5) it also allows you to apply to Cambridge at the same time (which is the offer I have accepted)
Original post by ubermensch
Tell me you buffoons didn't apply to Oxford through UCAS, if you apply privately you have a much higher chance of A. actually being accepted and B. being offered a place very quickly. Also you can apply to as many universities as you like (more than the paltry 5) it also allows you to apply to Cambridge at the same time (which is the offer I have accepted)

1.) UCAS makes it easier to check and stuff.
2.) In what way does it give you a better chance of being accepted? :lolwut:
3.) I didnt want to apply to cambridge anyway lol.
Original post by soutioirsim

Original post by soutioirsim
1.) UCAS makes it easier to check and stuff.
2.) In what way does it give you a better chance of being accepted? :lolwut:
3.) I didnt want to apply to cambridge anyway lol.

I'm pretty sure that a letter in the post either saying "accepted" or "denied" is a pretty easy way of knowing if you are in or not. It shows a bit of independent thought and drive (of which you clearly have none of as evidenced by your 3rd comment)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending