The Student Room Group

student finance and Masters degrees

Student Finance provides finance for studies for up to 4 years. I'm currently on a 3 year degree and thinking about doing a Masters after I graduate. Would I be able to receive student finance for a Masters? Thanks
Reply 1
Funding is not available for masters degrees unfortunately, you have to pay the fees yourself
Afraid not, and usually the fees will be a bit higher than the £3k you pay as an undergrad. Time to look for sponsorship or ask mummy and daddy i'm afraid.
Original post by areusureaboutthat
Student Finance provides finance for studies for up to 4 years. I'm currently on a 3 year degree and thinking about doing a Masters after I graduate. Would I be able to receive student finance for a Masters? Thanks

SFE only fund undergraduate study.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
SFE only fund undergraduate study.

Not completely true - they also fund PGCEs. But yeah not masters.
Reply 5
Original post by areusureaboutthat

They don't provide funding for 4 years. They provide it for the length of course + 1 year, minus any years already studied.
So do they provide a loan for undergraduate masters degree courses (4 years)?
Original post by mathew551
So do they provide a loan for undergraduate masters degree courses (4 years)?

yes, cos they aren't equivalent to a post grad masters.
Reply 8
A bit OT maybe: So you can proceed studying for a masters degree if you have previously received governmental student finance (loans)?
It states on the site that you are not elligible to pay back unless you earn 15000 a year, but it doesn't explicitly say wheter you may continue studying (even though you would not get any more financial aid) or not.
Original post by Chr0n
A bit OT maybe: So you can proceed studying for a masters degree if you have previously received governmental student finance (loans)?
It states on the site that you are not elligible to pay back unless you earn 15000 a year, but it doesn't explicitly say wheter you may continue studying (even though you would not get any more financial aid) or not.

There is NO GOVT FUNDING through SFE for post grad masters courses. So any funding you do manage to get has nothing to do with SFE thresholds.
An undergraduate Masters course (i.e. your first degree) would be funded by the student finance company (SFC).

A postgraduate degree will not be funded by the SFC. For those you will need an external source of finance - grants (depending on your field and grades), scholarships (depending on your grades), a Professional & Career Development Loan (PCDL - issued by certain banks, no repayments until one month after your course ends), sponsorship through a company, or personal funding (e.g. savings, parents, fundraising).
Reply 11
Original post by Ice_Queen
An undergraduate Masters course (i.e. your first degree) would be funded by the student finance company (SFC).

A postgraduate degree will not be funded by the SFC. For those you will need an external source of finance - grants (depending on your field and grades), scholarships (depending on your grades), a Professional & Career Development Loan (PCDL - issued by certain banks, no repayments until one month after your course ends), sponsorship through a company, or personal funding (e.g. savings, parents, fundraising).

This.

Sidenote, where the feck have you been IQ?
Original post by Taiko
This.

Sidenote, where the feck have you been IQ?

I've still been around :p: Just haven't had time to do much PS Helping at the moment, so I don't have a sub, and I don't spend as much time on here any more. The joys of a Masters degree!

How's the world for you? Still as crap? :p:
Reply 13
Original post by hypocriticaljap
There is NO GOVT FUNDING through SFE for post grad masters courses. So any funding you do manage to get has nothing to do with SFE thresholds.

I do know that of course. However, my question was if I am able to do a masters course (funded by other means than governmental ones) if I have previously received a govt funding loan for a bachelors (undergrad) degree?

My plans would be something along those lines as to study PPE in the UK and then proceed my studies in another country (stipendia in the US or something alike).
Reply 14
Original post by Chr0n
I do know that of course. However, my question was if I am able to do a masters course (funded by other means than governmental ones) if I have previously received a govt funding loan for a bachelors (undergrad) degree?

My plans would be something along those lines as to study PPE in the UK and then proceed my studies in another country (stipendia in the US or something alike).

You can continue studying, after receiving a government loan. The loan will just sit there until you start earning over £15,000.

If you leave the country to study or work though (after completing your undergrad degree) you have to inform the student loans company.
Reply 15
Original post by Ice_Queen
I've still been around :p: Just haven't had time to do much PS Helping at the moment, so I don't have a sub, and I don't spend as much time on here any more. The joys of a Masters degree!

How's the world for you? Still as crap? :p:

Left student finance as such last month. Doing more financial stuff now, which is handy.
Original post by Taiko
Left student finance as such last month. Doing more financial stuff now, which is handy.

You left? I guess you didn't get that promotion then :p:

What are you up to now then? "Finance" is a rather broad topic :p:
Reply 17
Original post by flipshot
You can continue studying, after receiving a government loan. The loan will just sit there until you start earning over £15,000.

If you leave the country to study or work though (after completing your undergrad degree) you have to inform the student loans company.

Thank you! I guess that will be the perfect way to finance my studies then. Since I don't really care for sitting with 100 other students in a room in Austria...

Quick Reply

Latest