The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Miss Cellaneous
I hope so too. But my impression (from reading a little in the "Oxford rejections" thread), is that people who got to the interview at Oxford genereally stand a chance at all/most of their other 4 choises.

Now, this scares me a little. I have yet to hear about anyone else getting a rejection (or, for that matter, an offer) from UCL so far.

This is most likely just another case of paranoia taking over. I believe it's about time for me to log off TSR and think about something else for a while. :wink:

...But if anyone else have heard from UCL already, pretty please let me know.

Heh, got rejected from UCL two days before my Oxford offer, because my "academic profile is too low" :smile:

History offer at St. Hilda's btw.
Original post by ubermensch
It shows a bit of independent thought and drive (of which you clearly have none of as evidenced by your 3rd comment)

If you look at my sig, you'll realise I applied for physics. Cambridge do not do a straight physics course.

That's why I did not apply there you douche.
Original post by soutioirsim

If you look at my sig, you'll realise I applied for physics. Cambridge do not do a straight physics course.

That's why I did not apply there you douche.

Sorry there, it's just that I don't care at all to look at you 'sig' whatever that is. I was merely drawing your attention to the fact that if you apply independently, it increases your chance of acceptance. Your reluctant agreement shown by your insulting manner just proves me correct.
Reply 203
Original post by Miss Cellaneous
Law (Jurisprudence) at New College here. :smile:

I have a question for you all. A few days after getting my offer from Oxford, I noticed on my UCAS track that UCL had rejected me. Did this happen to anyone else? Is it perhaps purely coincidental?

I can't help feeling that my Oxford offer must have been a mistake (why would they want me - even after my horrible interviews - when UCL decides that I'm not worth it, based only on my UCAS application?)

I'm law too (Worcester :smile: ) and I got my UCL rejection a day before my Oxford letter arrived! They told me it was because of LNAT so I think it's because UCL are reallllly strict on that, more than any of the other LNAT unis as far as I know. Emailed for more feedback but heard nothing yet. Doesn't matter anyway now though! Well done on your Oxford offer :smile: xxx
Sorry there, it's just that I don't care at all to look at you 'sig' whatever that is. I was merely drawing your attention to the fact that if you apply independently, it increases your chance of acceptance. Your reluctant agreement shown by your insulting manner just proves me correct.

...But then you still have not given a valid reason to why you're more likely to get to get accepted.

**** off you troll.

...But then you still have not given a valid reason to why you're more likely to get to get accepted.

**** off you troll.

Jesus yes I did, I said it shows drive and demonstrates independence! :rolleyes:
Reply 206
Jesus yes I did, I said it shows drive and demonstrates independence! :rolleyes:

So does living in the woods eating squirrels, but I don't think those traits alone get you anywhere.
How depressing will it be if you don't get AAA and then you realise you've blown your chance to actually ever go to Oxford - My insurance is rather rubbish as well ... :huff:

As you can see I'm in a rather despondent mood right now :colondollar:
Original post by tommy1311
I know this is a popular opinion, but in LSE's strive to become an elitist university, and with their lack of polished selection process, they pretty much accept the best of the best of the best.

Not that I'm saying it work like, but there you go.

My tutors are of the opinion that LSE really doesn't like applicants from my school (I suspect it's the PS). When I told my tutor I got rejected he gave me that "Well duh did you expect anything else?" face and told me I wasted a choice! :eek:

I don't believe in that conspiracy theory though - I think I simply wasn't good enough (they have so many good applicants)! They didn't tell me why I was unsuccessful though, so I plan to get feedback.

Looks like UCL are turning out to be LNAT Nazis. I'm not sure if the LNAT is the best criteria for selection but when you don't have the time and money to do interviews, I suppose the easiest way to eliminate candidates is by test score. :frown:
Reply 209
Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb
How depressing will it be if you don't get AAA and then you realise you've blown your chance to actually ever go to Oxford - My insurance is rather rubbish as well ... :huff:

As you can see I'm in a rather despondent mood right now :colondollar:

Make sure you don't mess up then :p:

Having Oxford as a motivator is something I'd have killed for, I mean, I did decently, but I know I could have done better if I'd had an AAA offer.

Just try your best, you'll be fine.

(Also, if your last name is Lightbulb, that is badass.)
Tell me you buffoons didn't apply to Oxford through UCAS, if you apply privately you have a much higher chance of A. actually being accepted and B. being offered a place very quickly. Also you can apply to as many universities as you like (more than the paltry 5) it also allows you to apply to Cambridge at the same time (which is the offer I have accepted)

Does pretending you have an offer from Cambridge make you feel cool?
Original post by RupertTheBear

Does pretending you have an offer from Cambridge make you feel cool?

No, but knowing you have gone through UCAS and I circumvented the 30 pound sign up fee does. Idiot.
No, but knowing you have gone through UCAS and I circumvented the 30 pound sign up fee does. Idiot.

You can't apply without UCAS. Did the guy at the 'interview' say you were at Cambridge? Dude I hate to break this to you but it sounds like you may have simply been molested if this was the case. http://www.connexions-direct.com/
Reply 213
Tell me you buffoons didn't apply to Oxford through UCAS, if you apply privately you have a much higher chance of A. actually being accepted and B. being offered a place very quickly. Also you can apply to as many universities as you like (more than the paltry 5) it also allows you to apply to Cambridge at the same time (which is the offer I have accepted)

Did someone just use the word 'buffoons' in 2010? :colondollar: Awkward!

Though you still haven't really explained why you have a better chance, the application process is still the same doesn't it? You still have to submit a statement, sumbit work/ take a test and attend an interview? Im sure their admissions tutors are pretty clever people that are unlikely to go "Oh look, he applied independantly, insta-accepted!"
Original post by 04ghicks

Original post by 04ghicks
Did someone just use the word 'buffoons' in 2010? :colondollar: Awkward!

Though you still haven't really explained why you have a better chance, the application process is still the same doesn't it? You still have to submit a statement, sumbit work/ take a test and attend an interview? Im sure their admissions tutors are pretty clever people that are unlikely to go "Oh look, he applied independantly, insta-accepted!"

Yes the application process is still exactly the same after the initial "We'd like to see more" stage (doesn't it?) But private application does give one a better chance of getting to that stage in the first place.

And actually Rupert, you can apply without UCAS and it's not as uncommon as you think. Universities are their own decision makers and are not held to ransom by UCAS as you seem to believe :rolleyes:

And actually Rupert, you can apply without UCAS and it's not as uncommon as you think. Universities are their own decision makers and are not held to ransom by UCAS as you seem to believe :rolleyes:

I lol'd. What was the college and subject?/ first name and address of the guy that molested you?

[QUOTE="RupertTheBear;29130212"]I lol'd. What was the college and subject?/ first name and address of the g

Why is your interviewer giving you his address? Is it for 'special help after class' I'm surprised though, I didn't think Edge Hill gave interviews??
Original post by abiiiii
I'm law too (Worcester :smile: )

Best degree at the best College :tongue: Congratulations! :woo:
Sorry, I don't belong in this thread but just wanted to greet a fellow Worcester lawyer (to be) :shakehand:
I didn't think Edge Hill gave interviews??

Oh no he didn't. :zomg:
[QT=RupertTheBear;292I lol'd. What was the college and subject?/ first name and address of the g

Why is your interviewer giving you his address? Is it for 'special help after class' I'm surprised though, I didn't think Edge Hill gave interviews??

Burn

P.S top class quoting.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending