The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by TwinsOrAlpha?
Saw some dude on an internship last year who were beige suits and white pointy shiny shoes... amazing ****.

Think he wisened up after a week.

BarCap by any chance. He was a Euro quant if its the same guy.

Original post by President_Ben
Think I was a year and a bit my job before I decided to start breaking out white loafers.

Ben, you were in a very different environment.

My total spend is around 3.5k

Shoes: 350
Suits: 2x PS + 1 Boss - 1200 (saved around 300 quid in the sales on 2 of them)
Watch - Tag Carrera : 1350
Shirts: 400
Ties: 3 x Hermes - 300 - understated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1001
Original post by JakeF
Shoes: 350
Suits: 2x PS + 1 Boss - 1200 (saved around 300 quid in the sales on 2 of them)
Watch - Tag Carrera : 1350
Shirts: 400
Ties: 3 x Hermes - 300 - understated.

Where on earth did you get Hermes ties for £100 a piece... NY? If it was in the UK that is a fantastic deal.
Reply 1002
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Just out of curiosity, where do you work and how long have you been in the business?

I am starting full time in banking next year, though did do an internship this year.

However have been in a different sector for the past 14 months which was a very high paid role, actually a lot better than banking pays for the first few years, but that role no longer exists so I am having to move - that pay level though was the reason I am familiar with buying luxury goods and so on, and so I do base my views on experience which is I suppose what you were questioning.
Original post by rozzr
I am starting full time in banking next year, though did do an internship this year.

However have been in a different sector for the past 14 months which was a very high paid role, actually a lot better than banking pays for the first few years, but that role no longer exists so I am having to move - that pay level though was the reason I am familiar with buying luxury goods and so on, and so I do base my views on experience which is I suppose what you were questioning.

Ok cool, I agree with you..it's up to the individual to decide how much they want to spend. I think the main thing is to not overextend yourself and to ensure you 'fit in' aesthetically. How much would you say you've spent on your wardrobe? Including watches etc.
Reply 1004
Hi Guys,
What about a little advice for the girls? I ll be in research. I think mostly it will be business casual (?!). Do I need more than one suit? Also, do you know what shops are good for girls work clothes? Maybe Reiss?????
Thanks!
Reply 1005
Ok cool, I agree with you..it's up to the individual to decide how much they want to spend. I think the main thing is to not overextend yourself and to ensure you 'fit in' aesthetically. How much would you say you've spent on your wardrobe? Including watches etc.

Yes, so long as you can afford it (and i mean without credit) and it remains tasteful and avoids being crass (those white loafers mentioned couple of posts prior come to mind!) then I don't see anyone having a problem with you buying a few particularly nice items that you really like.

Although I do love watches & the odd luxe tie, I don't tend to spend crazy money on my wardrobe, just so long as it is fitted well and is smart that is fine with me. I am much more of a sucker for fast cars haha :rolleyes:
Original post by Christo
Anyone who spends their sign-on on a watch is a massive tit
Agreed. How you doing mate? Where you at?
Reply 1007
Original post by rozzr
Where on earth did you get Hermes ties for £100 a piece... NY? If it was in the UK that is a fantastic deal.

Couple from Dubai airport when i passed through before xmas. They were around 105-110. Couldnt resist.
Reply 1008
Original post by Chewwy
your third paragraph is deemed somewhat irrelevant given your first. all in all a great post.

ah well, people do need to spend a little bit of money on work clothes, whether you're a banker or anything else (deemably sub-human if not front office, and god forbid if not in financial services :biggrin:)...it's just the extent to which people are willing to spend money is scary! Lack of appreciation for money this early on doesn't bode well for future antics...
Reply 1009
Original post by rozzr
...why settle for mediocrity in what you wear and how you present yourself to the world when striving for excellence in every other aspect of life?

subjective statement and it's more than possible to dress well within a reasonable budget! There are many non-banking related professions that yield results beyond excellent. You won't come across many researchers/scientists/engineers that wear designer suits to work because it quite frankly is not a pre-requisite for success. Yet the work they do saves lives, and will provide for the means to which we live by when we deplete the earth's resources! To justify your choice of expenditure based on the quality of your work is not plausible...

I have great admiration for the work within banks and the dedication people have, but quite frankly its this materialistic attitude and such unrelenting desire for money that has blinded many a good banker. Take the case of enron as an example of pure blind greed ruining a corporation and the lives of thousands.

sorry if i seem to be attacking you, but sometimes I wish people would call a spade a spade. Most people like lots of money so they can buy nice things - end of statement!
Original post by staysha

Original post by staysha
Hi Guys,
What about a little advice for the girls? I ll be in research. I think mostly it will be business casual (?!). Do I need more than one suit? Also, do you know what shops are good for girls work clothes? Maybe Reiss?????
Thanks!

For research show up with a conservative suit and heels for the first week or so, then see what the junior people in the floor wear and go with that. In any case, yes, you need more than one suit.
Reply 1011
Original post by anfitrion
For research show up with a conservative suit and heels for the first week or so, then see what the junior people in the floor wear and go with that. In any case, yes, you need more than one suit.

Thanks!!
Casually stroll in with a full length fur coat and more bling than Mr.T around your neck. I hear they love that pimp look.
Remember to use phrases like 'Ima bang this bitch out no problem hommie' when given an assignment.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1013
If you take Pres. Ben's post as a "what would be perfect" rather than "what is necessary", you get a much more reasonable response to it. You can get buy with much, much less, especially in anything but sales/IBD.
Original post by Drogue
If you take Pres. Ben's post as a "what would be perfect" rather than "what is necessary", you get a much more reasonable response to it. You can get buy with much, much less, especially in anything but sales/IBD.

Well, perfect is... more.
Reply 1015
all you need where I work is 10 shirts ( can be all white) , 3 trousers ( 2 of which I have the matching suit jacket for ) , 1 tie ( which you'll never wear), 1-2 shoes, and maybe 1 jumper. This is for sales btw, and trading can be even more casual ( and we have casual friday)

A lot of the talk on this chat is giving poor advice and people bragging about their expensive watch or suit. fact: as an analyst you don't need it... it might be nice to have it.

If you have a tight budget, don't worry because you can look better than most guys who think they're the nuts in there off the peg styleless designer suit.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jakezg
all you need where I work is 10 shirts ( can be all white) , 3 trousers ( 2 of which I have the matching suit jacket for ) , 1 tie ( which you'll never wear), 1-2 shoes, and maybe 1 jumper. This is for sales btw, and trading can be even more casual ( and we have casual friday)

A lot of the talk on this chat is giving poor advice and people bragging about their expensive watch or suit. fact: as an analyst you don't need it... it might be nice to have it.

If you have a tight budget, don't worry because you can look better than most guys who think they're the nuts in there off the peg styleless designer suit.

where do you work?
looool, load of people are joking about the expensive watches and designer suits....tbh as an analyst no one gives a **** what you wear as long as you look reasonably decent, i.e Tm lewin shirts, couple suits, nice shoes are good(apparently its the first thing women notice :wink: ) and yeah one or two ties you'll never wear
where do you work?

He's at GS.

Anyway, while people can go for the 'bare minimum approach', I don't think it is optimal.
Original post by President_Ben
He's at GS.

Anyway, while people can go for the 'bare minimum approach', I don't think it is optimal.

Ok,

JakeF said you worked in a 'very different environment'. Where was that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending