The Student Room Group

Head start courses for engineering

Hey everyone :smile:

Just wondering if anyone has attended a head start engineering course in any of the universities in the UK? Just wanted to find out more information about them, what you did there etc.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Done it from both sides.

At Bath we designed and built a Straw Bale Wall before testing it to destruction. At Newcastle we design and build a helicoper winch before testing it to destruction.
Reply 2
You don't really need to attend a course to get a head start. But here is some advice:

-You will basically learn further maths in the first year (so matricies, partial differentiation, ODEs etc) so it might be useful to pick up some further maths revision guides or something if you can get em cheap.
-Mechanics will be taught including rigid body dynamics which is tough, so you might want to read some textbooks etc.
-You could do some work on fluid statics and read up on bernoulli's equations.
Reply 3
Original post by djpailo
You don't really need to attend a course to get a head start. But here is some advice:

-You will basically learn further maths in the first year (so matricies, partial differentiation, ODEs etc) so it might be useful to pick up some further maths revision guides or something if you can get em cheap.
-Mechanics will be taught including rigid body dynamics which is tough, so you might want to read some textbooks etc.
-You could do some work on fluid statics and read up on bernoulli's equations.

:colone:

http://www.headstartcourses.org.uk/
Reply 4

I don't understand your point. :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by djpailo
I don't understand your point. :confused:

The OP wants to know about Headstart Courses, which are a type of residential course that Y12 students can attend so that they can get an idea of what studying engineering is like

Clear???
I did one last summer at Cambridge (end of the Lower Sixth)

- 5 Days long
- We got lectures everyday and did 3 labs
- We got two really interesting supervisions and example papers to prepare, to bring to the supervisions
- The chance to be with people who are also interested in Engineering and live in accommodation together in a college
- Did a robot group design project on the last 2/3 days
- In the evening we got a brainwashing/presentation from various Companies e.g. Qinetic/BAE etc and past students about engineering

I personally think it was a surreal experience which really confirmed my want to do Engineering at university, as you literally are a student for a week! It looks great on your UCAS and at my interviews this year, Imperial, Bristol and Southampton commented positivity about doing it - offers from all of them + interview from Cambridge on Wednesday.

Definitely something to do, and as it is in the summer, there aren't that many students around so it isn't stupidly stressful!
Reply 7
im applying this year ! when is the deadline ?|
Original post by TSRavenclaw

February 15th 2011 I think. Or around that date...
i did a headstart course at plymouth last summer and loved every bit of it! it was a five day course and each day we studied a different branch of engineering. it really helped secure my degree choice and university choice too. it was a little daunting going there and not knowing anyone, but everyone is in the same boat and i've made some amazing friends i still keep in touch and meet up with now.
plus, universities love seeing that you've really made an effort to look into your degree.

i would definitely recommend going on one if you can :smile:
Original post by TSRavenclaw

i applied late, because i didn't realise. if the date has already past, email them specifically asking if there are any more places, don't panic, there will be some spare :smile:
I did a focus one as I was pretty sure I would do civil engineering and I just wanted to confirm it and would really recommend them
Reply 12
really gd experience, you'll meet some really decent people, however don't choose a general/broad based course cos the content was sh*t did absolutely nothing, choose a specific one.
Reply 13
For those who went on a Headstart course, were your teachers cool with you missing a week of school? And did you catch up fairly quickly?
mine was in summer after exams so they didn't mind at all, plus they know it's great for university application so they should be happy about it :smile:
Original post by Thrug
For those who went on a Headstart course, were your teachers cool with you missing a week of school? And did you catch up fairly quickly?

All but a few are during the summer, so no school is missed.
Ive applied so, yea, cant say anything further about it.
Reply 16
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
All but a few are during the summer, so no school is missed.
Ive applied so, yea, cant say anything further about it.

Seems most of them are in July, in which case most of them aren't in the summer holidays :confused:
Original post by Thrug

Original post by Thrug
Seems most of them are in July, in which case most of them aren't in the summer holidays :confused:

They're either in the last few weeks of term or in the summer holidays and I'm sure you would be able to get time off school to attend, after all it isn't like you are taking a holiday
Reply 18
Original post by wizard710
They're either in the last few weeks of term or in the summer holidays and I'm sure you would be able to get time off school to attend, after all it isn't like you are taking a holiday

Yea I guess you're right.
Anyone else applied for the Headstart FOCUS maths courses??

And has anyone else got a reply yet? I applied back in November... still nothing back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending