The Student Room Group

Applying for a summer internship in your final year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got an internship this year and I am in my final year (I am actually doing a Masters though)
would you not just apply for a graduate job?
Reply 22
The only bank who i've heard prefer penultimate years is DB! Most banks dont care and in fact ur at an advantage being a 3rd year ( more chance to have done things that add value! ).

Seriously even some banks state on their website 'we accept final year students'.
Just got 2 internship offers in my final year without even ever mentioning what I was doing in the spare year.

It really does vary bank to bank. Credit Suisse, for example, won't even consider non-penultimate years, whilst JPM, for example, inexplicitly favour the additional experience (assuming you worked previously).
Reply 24
Hey guys, what if you were a final year student having done a summer internship at Standard Chartered Bank in India...would it be better to apply for an internship or grad positions to get in to a BB firm in London? This is for Sales btw...
Reply 25
JDRK
Hey guys, what if you were a final year student having done a summer internship at Standard Chartered Bank in India...would it be better to apply for an internship or grad positions to get in to a BB firm in London? This is for Sales btw...

Either way, if youre looking to do it this year, then youre a little too late for applications. However, it depends on what you did at Standard Chartered. If you havent done a FO role at Standard, and to my knowledge, its not a bank that has huge trading positions etc, then you probably want to do an internship first.
Reply 26
I'm in my 2nd year now...The internship is for Sales for this summer...as far as I know its position is considered quite good in Asia, London not so much...I've applied for IBD this year but it doesn't look too bright atm...
Reply 27
unsung_hero
would you not just apply for a graduate job?

Too risky with no internship. Usually you can't apply for both.
Damarus
Too risky with no internship. Usually you can't apply for both.

but then what are you going to do between the end of your internship and your graduate position? a year is a long time to kill if you haven’t got anything constructive to do...
Reply 29
Sorry I think we had our wires crossed in that conversation. I thought you meant apply for a grad program with NO internship.
I've been made 5/6 offers this year as a final year student. The only two companies that I applied to and didn't get a final rounds with were BofAML & DB; both rejected my automatically.

Just have a decent explanation as to what you're going to do for a year.
Reply 31
Original post by cody123
@ The IC Guy....Do you think a prestigious bank like Goldman Sachs hires only penultimate year students? Or would they accept final year students for summer internship?

I've so far had two rounds of interviews for a summer internship at GS as a final year student.
Reply 32
Do you think it would be possible to apply for summer internships with one year of post-Uni work experience? With the view of doing a Masters/travelling...
Reply 33
Original post by cody123
@Azimuth....Have you specified what you will do after your final year to GS? I.e. a Masters or something else?

I'm already doing my Masters, I said I'd be on a gap year.
Reply 34
Original post by Azimuth

@Azimuth. When did you have your interviews with GS? Also what division did you apply for?
Reply 35
Where are you studying for your Masters? And what subject?
Reply 36
Original post by cody123
@Azimuth. When did you have your interviews with GS? Also what division did you apply for?

I had both rounds this month. I applied for Technology.

Original post by cfcbradders
Where are you studying for your Masters? And what subject?

Imperial, Computing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Azimuth
I had both rounds this month. I applied for Technology.

Imperial, Computing.

Did you hear back from GS?
Reply 38
Original post by Azimuth

Do you state you'll do a gap year it in your CV or Cover Letter? If so, where specifically do you put in CV/Cover Letter? And do you specify what do you plan to do in your gap year.

And also, on the Application form, do you select "2011" for graduation year?

Sry for so many questions.
Reply 39
Original post by cody123
Did you hear back from GS?

Not yet :frown:

Original post by elva2sam
Do you state you'll do a gap year it in your CV or Cover Letter? If so, where specifically do you put in CV/Cover Letter? And do you specify what do you plan to do in your gap year.

And also, on the Application form, do you select "2011" for graduation year?

Sry for so many questions.

I just put a few lines explaining that I'm going on a gap year in my cover letter, also mentioning what I plan to do. I put it at the beginning but I don't think it matters.

Yeah, graduation year is 2011.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending