The Student Room Group

What sort of grades to Magic Circle firms look for?

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ABB will get you past the auto-filter at some, but not at all, city firms. You meet the minimum for many, but you will have lower A levels than a lot of the students applying for TCs. What university are you studying at?
Most of the most competitive commercial firms won't let you fill in the form if you don't have AAB (or is it ABB? I forget, probably depends).

For MC firms you need to appreciate that you are a very borderline candidate - Leciester is OK and your grades are probably just over the cut-off for some MC firms, but you won't find many Leciester grads at MC firms and you won't find many people with ABB (most will have AAA). You can still do it if thats what you want (remember that is a world of stuff other than MC firms and they are not for everyone, MC does not mean best), but you need to appreciate that you should aim for a first, really really prepare those applications and really get some great ECs if you want to stand a chance if that is a route you want to go down.
Reply 3
Original post by jacketpotato
Most of the most competitive commercial firms won't let you fill in the form if you don't have AAB (or is it ABB? I forget, probably depends).

For MC firms you need to appreciate that you are a very borderline candidate - Leciester is OK and your grades are probably just over the cut-off for some MC firms, but you won't find many Leciester grads at MC firms and you won't find many people with ABB (most will have AAA). You can still do it if thats what you want (remember that is a world of stuff other than MC firms and they are not for everyone, MC does not mean best), but you need to appreciate that you should aim for a first, really really prepare those applications and really get some great ECs if you want to stand a chance if that is a route you want to go down.

He's studying his other degree at Leicester, if he's going to do graduate law he could go somewhere else. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lekky
He's studying his other degree at Leicester, if he's going to do graduate law he could go somewhere else. :smile:

Two things. First, the GDL isn't done at a university, so his first degree still matters a lot. Second, if he were to do graduate law (a second degree), the fees for those courses are very high, so for many they are not an option.
Original post by lekky

I know your a mod and everything but keep your input to threads where you know what you are talking about. The GDL is a professional qualification, offered by barely any universities, and the ones that do offer it will probably be of a lower reputation than Leicester. Where you do your GDL has very little relevenance seeing as most places that offer it are private institutions who will allow admittance onto the course as long as you can pay the fees
What are magic circle firms?
Reply 7
Original post by Loonylottie

The five top firm in London- Clifford Chance and etc. Google 'magic circle firm'.
Reply 8

Clifford Chance, Slaughter and May, Allen & Overy, Linklaters, and Freshfields, Bruckhaus, and Deringer. Five of the biggest commercial/corporate City firms by revenue, with a long history for each.
Original post by Lawlet
The five top firm in London- Clifford Chance and etc. Google 'magic circle firm'.

Original post by jjarvis
Clifford Chance, Slaughter and May, Allen & Overy, Linklaters, and Freshfields, Bruckhaus, and Deringer. Five of the biggest commercial/corporate City firms by revenue, with a long history for each.

Thanks guys, I thought it was some sort of wizard cult xx
Reply 10
Thanks guys, I thought it was some sort of wizard cult xx

This post deserves an award of some sort. Magnificent.
Reply 11
Ah in all honesty you stand a very low chance, you'd have to ensure you're outstanding in all other areas they look at (work experience etc) to really be in the running. It's an unbelievably competitive route to follow.
Original post by bramz19
This post deserves an award of some sort. Magnificent.

Awww....thanks.....http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=form&fid=22 *wink wink, nudge, nudge :wink:* xx
Reply 13
Original post by ThatsJustTooBad
Thanks for your replies, do you think it would give me a better chance of getting into a top firm if I didn't apply for the GDL route but instead, apply for a full LLB degree at a high calibre university? An advisor at my uni said that another person on a life science course with similar grades to mine applied to Cambridge law as a graduate and was accepted onto the course because her first over came her A levels not meeting the school leaver criteria. What do you think?

I'm no expert (I'm pre grad myself) but I think a Law degree from a more reputable University would probably stand you in better stead, bear in mind though it really would have to be a top 5/6 Uni. It seems a needless risk, cost and effort though just to try and get a job in a MC firm. The MC isn't the be all and end all of legal careers, there are hundreds of opportunities out there that can be opened up through the GDL after your degree.
Reply 14
Original post by Bellrosk
I'm no expert (I'm pre grad myself) but I think a Law degree from a more reputable University would probably stand you in better stead, bear in mind though it really would have to be a top 5/6 Uni. It seems a needless risk, cost and effort though just to try and get a job in a MC firm. The MC isn't the be all and end all of legal careers, there are hundreds of opportunities out there that can be opened up through the GDL after your degree.

try some U.S firm or even SC
Reply 15
hmmmm. . . What do you guys think of my chances?
I did scottish highers and got AAAABB and A at an advanced higher, I am now in my final year at the University of St Andrews, probably with a 2:1 in biological sciences? I also have had a part itme job while at uni working for RBS (not sure if thats a positive or not :wink: )
If not any magic circle firms, then at least a decent TC in London?

Cheers,
Adam
Original post by Adam Frew
hmmmm. . . What do you guys think of my chances?
I did scottish highers and got AAAABB and A at an advanced higher, I am now in my final year at the University of St Andrews, probably with a 2:1 in biological sciences? I also have had a part itme job while at uni working for RBS (not sure if thats a positive or not :wink: )
If not any magic circle firms, then at least a decent TC in London?

Cheers,
Adam

You have a chance at MC firms, but would be a below-average applicant so would need to do plenty of well researched applications, do what you can to improve your desirability as an applicant and hope for the best.

You certainly have a great chance of picking up a decent TC in London
I wish I'd asked these questions before I started the GDL!
Reply 18
Original post by tomheppy
I wish I'd asked these questions before I started the GDL!

Why?
Original post by Bellrosk
Why?

Well despite getting a decent undergrad degree my A-levels are average and so I doubt I'll get a decent TC. Wish I'd researched more about what grades firms look for.

Quick Reply

Latest