The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I have an open offer for engineering :smile:
Reply 221
Original post by shoshin
Congrats! You will love Oxford, but pack a few warm clothes if you're used to the climate in L.A. :smile:

Thanks! :smile: I know, I have gotten a bit used to the LA climate, but I usually don't feel as cold in traditionally cold climates... if that makes any sense... Have you heard from them yet?
Reply 222
Original post by TurnerE
Thanks! :smile: I know, I have gotten a bit used to the LA climate...Have you heard from them yet?

Yes, I'll be at Mansfield for History.. unless I hear from UCLA in the meantime of course :smile:
Hi all,

Signing up for this thread, if I may. Unconditional to read English at St John's!
Original post by shoshin

Original post by shoshin
Yes, I'll be at Mansfield for History.. unless I hear from UCLA in the meantime of course :smile:

u'd give up oxford for UCLA?
Reply 225
Happy New Year all :biggrin:
Reply 226
Original post by Johnshopkinser
u'd give up oxford for UCLA?

Not likely! I was just jesting cos TurnerE is heading in the opposite direction, from LA to Oxford :smile:

Edit: Happy New Year!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by shoshin

Original post by shoshin
Not likely! I was just jesting cos TurnerE is heading in the opposite direction, from LA to Oxford :smile:

Edit: Happy New Year!

right that's what i thought. happy new year to u too.

i'm also applying to america and i got loads of reach schools on the list after the oxford offer.
Reply 228
Is anybody who got an offer a re-applicant?
Reply 229
Original post by 04smitht
Is anybody who got an offer a re-applicant?

Yes, me (and others).
Reply 230
Original post by Festina lente
Best degree at the best College :tongue: Congratulations! :woo:
Sorry, I don't belong in this thread but just wanted to greet a fellow Worcester lawyer (to be) :shakehand:

Thank you :smile: please could you tell me a little bit about the atmosphere for lawyers at worcester? I got cold feet a little bit yesterday and was talking to a friend about going somewhere else :s-smilie: don't think I would actually have the courage to do that but would be nice to know a little bit more :smile: thank you xxx
Original post by dbmag9

Original post by dbmag9
Yes, me (and others).

how could u re-apply.... did u take a year off or what?
Original post by rohitronaldo
:ditto: My offer is well below my predicted grades but I still have that inherent fear of missing it. The only slightly tricky bit is getting an A* equivalent grade on my Economics exam which isn't all that hard but it means I can't make any major mistake on it.

I am sure you'll easily exceed your conditions! Good luck, though you don't really need it :wink:

Same thing back to you :smile: I'm sure you will manage just fine :wink: WE HAVE TO :tongue: all the best for 2011 :wink:
Reply 233
History and English at Pembroke College :smile: I applied to Balliol, so I didn't see much of Pembroke during their interview period.
Reply 234
Original post by Johnshopkinser
how could u re-apply.... did u take a year off or what?

I was taking a gap year anyway, and since my IB results were good, I thought I might as well reapply.
Original post by shlin28
Heh, got rejected from UCL two days before my Oxford offer, because my "academic profile is too low" :smile:

History offer at St. Hilda's btw.

Original post by abiiiii
I'm law too (Worcester :smile: ) and I got my UCL rejection a day before my Oxford letter arrived! They told me it was because of LNAT so I think it's because UCL are reallllly strict on that, more than any of the other LNAT unis as far as I know. Emailed for more feedback but heard nothing yet. Doesn't matter anyway now though! Well done on your Oxford offer :smile: xxx

Thanks to both of you! It didn't think about checking the reason why my application was unsucessful until now. It simply says that the competition was intense and that my application was "judged to be not as strong as that of other applicants"

Never before have I felt so smug, insulted, amused and horrified at once.
Reply 236
Original post by dbmag9
I was taking a gap year anyway, and since my IB results were good, I thought I might as well reapply.

LAD
Well done on your offer!
I don't know whether to do the same. What do you suggest?
Reply 237
Original post by Miss Cellaneous
Thanks to both of you! It didn't think about checking the reason why my application was unsucessful until now. It simply says that the competition was intense and that my application was "judged to be not as strong as that of other applicants"

Never before have I felt so smug, insulted, amused and horrified at once.

My friend told me to look at it as an amazing compliment, because if our UCAS forms weren't strong enough for a place like UCL (which doesn't interview) we must be really good in person if our interviews overcame that, like other candidates (the ones who got UCL offers etc too) must have been way stronger on paper, so they must have really liked us to make us offers :smile: i'm not sure how realistic that is because my interview was shocking but it's a nice way to look at it :smile: xxx
Reply 238
Original post by 04smitht
LAD
Well done on your offer!
I don't know whether to do the same. What do you suggest?

Thanks. :smile:

It's up to you. Taking an unplanned gap year just to try again for Oxford always seems a bit strange to me, but I don't know whether I would have done the same if it had happened to me. Not to mention the fact that tuition fees would make the gap year cost around £18,000 or so.
Reply 239
Original post by dbmag9
Thanks. :smile:

It's up to you. Taking an unplanned gap year just to try again for Oxford always seems a bit strange to me, but I don't know whether I would have done the same if it had happened to me. Not to mention the fact that tuition fees would make the gap year cost around £18,000 or so.

Well I thought about trying again whilst at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending