The Student Room Group

How Will I as an American be Precieved in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by momoso
Thanks for the really comprehensive answer. Alot of stress has been relieved lol. Why do you want to come to texas, is it for the bbq and football lol. If it is you wont be disapointed. If not threre is alot more to be had in Texas. If you can I advise you go to Austin it is awesome. The city's motto is "Keep Austin Weird", its the live music captial of the world and is nothing but fun, its awesome. Houston as well is great, its big and driving is really the only good form of tranportation but it is also fun and there are tons of things to do. :smile:

I hope you dont get stressed out about it anymore its a once in a life time sort of thing to get a chance to study abroad you know :cool: i hope you make the best of it :biggrin:

well i think its for the horses( im doin a equine degree) and i just love texas ha i think it would be a cool place to live it has a energy about it so do the people :smile:

i would visit everywhere in texas :biggrin: (and the rest of the states if i had the $$$) :biggrin: and austin and houston seem cool alright my aunt was in houston once she loved it there :smile: im in love with the accent aswell :lovedup: id try everything if i went there cause im gona be there for 5 months :biggrin: but wherever i get i will make the best of it :biggrin: will be a really good experience for me
Reply 61
I generally love Americans and the United States of America. We've been surrounded by your culture from TV, you bring out great music and are the United States basically! There should be more of you over here =)
(edited 13 years ago)
Chill out, so long as you're not some Bible Belt nut I think it's cool.
Original post by Beska
Don't be a typical republican.

I'm a republican and I did just fine on all my trips to england. I don't think politics are anywhere near as important as you think.

Mate this is TSR where opinions and fact are confused at evry moment so it will not give a fair respresentation. Don't worry and go ahead with what you want to do :smile:
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
What has this got to do with finger pointing and accusations? The OP asked a question and I answered it. We have a very liberal society here and we don't look well upon neo-conservative Americans; namely, republicans. If you have a personal intimacy with the republican party, you're free to indulge in said interest, but that's just how we are.

We don't like warmongerers in this country.

You are a complete idiot. After the civil war, outside of Iraq, every major war was started by a democrats not republicans. Vietnam war, the Korean War, WW2, WW1, Bosnia, Kosovo, Somalia, all started by liberals.

The policies of the republican party are a near mirror image of UKIP's so there is nothing really that different or unusual about GOP policies. Your country is very diverse and not everyone thinks like you or agrees with you on politics. You may have a problem with certain GOP policies but that doesn't mean all your fellow countrymen agree with you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Made in the USA

You are a complete idiot. After the civil war, outside of Iraq, every major war was started by a democrats not a republicans. Vietnam war, the Korean War, WW2, WW1, Bosnia, Kosovo, Somalia, all started by liberals.

The policies of the republican party are a near mirror image of UKIP's so there is nothing really that different or unusual about GOP policies. Your country is very diverse and not everyone thinks like you or agrees with you on politics. You may have a problem with certain GOP policies but that doesn't mean all your fellow countrymen agree with you.

UKIP is a party at the far right of the political spectrum and virtually unrepresented at Parliament with 0 MPs. Our biggest party at the moment; the Conservatives are by American standards, very Liberal. More liberal than your Democrats. I would say that I am in a much better position to judge the social attitude of Brits. We are not neo-cons like yourself. Britain is a very liberal country, and perhaps the most liberal in the whole of Europe.
UKIP is a party at the far right of the political spectrum and virtually unrepresented at Parliament with 0 MPs. Our biggest party at the moment; the Conservatives are by American standards, very Liberal. More liberal than your Democrats. I would say that I am in a much better position to judge the social attitude of Brits. We are not neo-cons like yourself. Britain is a very liberal country, and perhaps the most liberal in the whole of Europe.

I'm not a neo-con and you are to the right of many continental european countries. I don't know what you mean by liberal, but if you are talking about classical liberalism, we are in many ways more liberal than the UK. Some states have legalized gay marriage and you only have civil unions, our right to free speech is far more extensive, it covers all types of speech, including hate speech. If you burned a koran in the UK you would be arrested, but it's perfectly legal in the US as a form of free speech protected by the first amendment. Michael Savage is banned from entering the UK because his speech was deemed offensive by your nanny state, but he can say whatever he wants on our radiowaves. We have the right to bear arms, you don't. Prostitution is legal in Nevada.
I'm not a neo-con and you are to the right of many continental european countries. I don't know what you mean by liberal, but if you are talking about classical liberalism, we are in many ways more liberal than the UK. Some states have legalized gay marriage and you only have civil unions, our right to free speech is far more extensive, it covers all types of speech, including hate speech. If you burned a koran in the UK you would be arrested, but it's perfectly legal in the US as a form of free speech protected by the first amendment. Michael Savage is banned from entering the UK because his speech was deemed offensive by your nanny state, but he can say whatever he wants on our radiowaves. We have the right to bear arms, you don't. Prostitution is legal in Nevada.

Liberalism and Libertarianism are not the same things moron :facepalm:
Reply 69
Liberalism and Libertarianism are not the same things moron :facepalm:

You're the moron. Go look up "classical liberalism", educate yourself, and then come back here and maybe you can actually contribute something of value for a change. Classical liberalism is all about the liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, etc and in these areas the US is ahead if the UK in some ways, particularly in free speech.

You're the moron. Go look up "classical liberalism", educate yourself, and then come back here and maybe you can actually contribute something of value for a change. Classical liberalism is all about the liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, etc and in these areas the US is ahead if the UK in some ways, particularly in free speech.

Absolute rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_liberalism#United_Kingdom

Read this. British Liberalism in its contemporary form was the foundation of the welfare state, as opposed to the economically liberal position of laissez fair capitalism. Liberalism in Britain is primarily concerned with taking a compassionate stance on a range of social issues such as unemployment, immigration and social cohesion. Whilst liberalism does of course include upholding the civil liberties we enjoy around us, liberalism is more an all encompassing position which can be used in multiple contexts; such as the war in Iraq. One which American warmonger's persisted with, so they could commit massacres and butcher the middle east. And we Brits find that incredibly disgusting.
Do not use the word soccer under any circumstances!
Absolute rubbish.

Read this. British Liberalism in its contemporary form was the foundation of the welfare state, as opposed to the economically liberal position of laissez fair capitalism. Liberalism in Britain is primarily concerned with taking a compassionate stance on a range of social issues such as unemployment, immigration and social cohesion. Whilst liberalism does of course include upholding the civil liberties we enjoy around us, liberalism is more an all encompassing position which can be used in multiple contexts; such as the war in Iraq. One which American warmonger's persisted with, so they could commit massacres and butcher the middle east. And we Brits find that incredibly disgusting.

This is pure political ignorance.

1) Claiming the UK is one of the most liberal in Europe is just laughable. Whatever definition of liberalism you are using.

2) What you are calling "British Liberalism" is called social liberalism. It is not an exclusive concept to the UK, far from it. Take a glance at the political cultures of Scandinavia for a great example. That is why there are several examples of its development in several countries, including the United States, in that wikipedia article you posted.

3) In fact, classical liberalism is an idea America acquired from several British political philosophers, like John Locke, Adam Smith and Thomas Hobbes.

4) "liberalism is more an all encompassing position which can be used in multiple contexts;[sic] such as the war in Iraq." The first part of your sentence is totally nonsensical, but I believe you are referring to political positions associated with modern liberals. A position on a war is made up of more than your general political ideology. It's safe to assume most everyone would like peace. Someone's perceptions of the situation (such as information, false or not, about WMDs or terrorist activity) are just as much in play. Easily a fiscal conservative could also be opposed to the war on the grounds of unnecessary, immoral spending. My own parents are Republicans, classical liberals, who are staunchly against the war and always have been.

5) "One which American warmonger's persisted with, so they could commit massacres and butcher the middle east." This is probably the most ridiculous statement. "American warmongers" do not and have never claimed any definition of liberal applies to military intervention in Iraq. This has never been considered a liberal position in the US, either classically or in modern terms.

6) "And we Brits find that incredibly disgusting." Rubbish. Do not put your own words into your countrymen's mouths. Considering the UK allied itself with the US in Iraq, and both the Labour and Conservative parties were in favor of it, this is clearly not true. A poll taken in March 2007 said 60% of Brits thought the Iraq War was a bad idea.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/mar/20/iraq.iraq

A poll taken two months later in the US found a slightly higher proportion of Americans agreed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_opinion_in_the_United_States_on_the_invasion_of_Iraq
(edited 13 years ago)
Absolute rubbish.

Liberalism can be used in many contexts. I found the last line of your post amusing. You find the war in Iraq so disgusting that you Brits invaded it with polls showing 1/2 your population supporting it at the time of the invasion. :rolleyes:
Original post by wildrover
Do not use the word soccer under any circumstances!

The term soccer actually originated in England in the 1880s :cool:
You are a complete idiot. After the civil war, outside of Iraq, every major war was started by a democrats not republicans. Vietnam war, the Korean War, WW2, WW1, Bosnia, Kosovo, Somalia, all started by liberals.

You're an idiot, and you make all Americans look bad.

Vietnam was started by Eisenhower, who was Republican. World War II was started by Hitler and Japan, not by FDR. World War I was started by a Democrat, but it was certainly not started by a liberal. You're delusional if you think Woodrow Wilson was a liberal.

Bosnia, Kosovo, and Somalia were not wars by any definition of the word, unless the definition you are using is "civil war" and the United States, United Nations, and NATO are peacekeepers.

The policies of the GOP are far from a mirror image of UKIP. UKIP is a Eurosceptic party first and foremost, and as far as I know the GOP is not Eurosceptic and has no opinion on it. Also, the GOP mainstream is not as reactionary about legal immigration as UKIP and the BNP are. They are more reactionary about illegal immigration, which is not as substantial a political issue in the UK. Also, UKIP is FAR from a mainstream political party in the UK. They only tend to receive significant support in EU elections, and that's because of their stance on the EU, not because of their stance on anything else.

If by "liberal" you mean the modern definition used in the United States, which is to say someone on the center-left of the political spectrum, the UK is significantly more to the left of the United Kingdom. The policies of the Coalition in the UK are closer to the Democrats than the Republicans. They want to cut social services somewhat; they do not want to tear them asunder. The GOP most closely resembles the BNP.

I would have no problem with people being conservative if they could only articulate their arguments clearly and intelligently, rather than coming off as ignorant and greedy.
Original post by amandacalifornia

1) Claiming the UK is one of the most liberal in Europe is just laughable. Whatever definition of liberalism you are using.

Well I would state that I'm in a much better position to comment being a native Brit myself as well as a member of political party and youth representative for the local council party. However, if you have some evidence to show that I am wrong, present it. If you do not have anything to offer other than "LOLOLOL111!! U WRONG!", I suggest you swallow your words.

2) What you are calling "British Liberalism" is called social liberalism. It is not an exclusive concept to the UK, far from it. Take a glance at the political cultures of Scandinavia for a great example. That is why there are several examples of its development in several countries, including the United States, in that wikipedia article you posted.

I agree, I never stated that Liberal attitudes within Britain are synonymous with the ideology of Social-Liberalism as a whole. However, the two are connected, no doubt which is why I cite the article. I see no reason why I shouldn't, there isn't a single political party in Britain which doesn't have at least some relationship with Social-Liberalism. And even then, I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make. I make the statement that the UK is a very socially liberal country, not entirely libertarian, but with civil liberties at heart in many ways also. I do not think those are unfair assertions to make.

3) In fact, classical liberalism is an idea America acquired from several British political philosophers, like John Locke, Adam Smith and Thomas Hobbes.

Point? Classical Liberalism certainly has its place in British politics, but certainly isn't the sole proponent driving British liberalism.

4) "liberalism is more an all encompassing position which can be used in multiple contexts;[sic] such as the war in Iraq." The first part of your sentence is totally nonsensical, but I believe you are referring to political positions associated with modern liberals. A position on a war is made up of more than your general political ideology. It's safe to assume most everyone would like peace. Someone's perceptions of the situation (such as information, false or not, about WMDs or terrorist activity) are just as much in play. Easily a fiscal conservative could also be opposed to the war on the grounds of unnecessary, immoral spending. My own parents are Republicans, classical liberals, who are staunchly against the war and always have been.

Don't blame me for your ignorance. If you are unable to respond to reasonable logic, that is your own fault. Anyhow, once again you're not really making any succinct point. Whilst I do recognise that people can be for/against any war for a multitude of reasons. I cite Iraq in particular because as a Brit, I notice that most are against the war because of principals parallel to that of Liberalism; they resent unnecessary imperialism, they resent the idea that we allied with American-butchers simply because Blairite-Labour had an Atlantacist stance which carried through from Clinton to Bush.

And no, actually. I don't think it's 'safe to assume most everyone would like peace'. Peace is not brought up by reaping bloodshed in Iraq and the incoming prospect of Iran. That was not a mission of peace, it was a mission of imperialism; for oil and for defence contractors that was held only in the interest of the Americans. The current republican administration is so far removed from the ideals of Classical liberalism, I have no idea how you could link the two. I suppose classical liberals just love murdering civilians didn't they? :rolleyes:

5) "One which American warmonger's persisted with, so they could commit massacres and butcher the middle east." This is probably the most ridiculous statement. "American warmongers" do not and have never claimed any definition of liberal applies to military intervention in Iraq. This has never been considered a liberal position in the US, either classically or in modern terms.

And where did I cite that it was the liberal-Americans pushing the war dip****? :hmmm:

6) "And we Brits find that incredibly disgusting." Rubbish. Do not put your own words into your countrymen's mouths. Considering the UK allied itself with the US in Iraq, and both the Labour and Conservative parties were in favor of it, this is clearly not true. A poll taken in March 2007 said 60% of Brits thought the Iraq War was a bad idea.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/mar/20/iraq.iraq

A poll taken two months later in the US found a slightly higher proportion of Americans agreed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_opinion_in_the_United_States_on_the_invasion_of_Iraq

If you don't like my opinion, you're free to disagree with it. I would assume that I know more Brits than you do and I would bet a heavy wager that Brits would identify American warmongering as 'disgusting'. I have no interest in supporting right-wingers like yourself in my home country.
Original post by rylit91
If you are a brash, uncouth, loud-mouth Texan, then you may as well stay at home; people will not appreciate that this is how most people are in Texas. If not, and you are studying in London, then you won't be noticed. There's more nationalities in London than there are at the Olympics.

Yeah, and all British people have bad teeth, call everyone they meet "guvnah," wear bowler hats, and play cricket on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

Texans are as diverse as Britons are (actually, if you're going on ethnicity alone, Texas is substantially more diverse). We don't fit into any stereotype, let alone that perpetrated by trash shows like "Dallas" and trash leaders like Bush 43, who is not a Texan, but is a carpetbagging Yankee who was born in Connecticut, educated in New England prep schools, and puts on a faux accent to try to come off as more Texan.

Bush lives in my neighborhood, and lived there for most of his adult life before becoming governor. His "Texan" accent got progressively stronger after he left when he was governor (odd, considering that Austin is probably the least stereotypically Texan place in Texas).

If your image of a Texan is based on GWB you are grossly misinformed. It's in fact highly insulting to call him Texan to a real Texan; we can tell.

Original post by momoso
Thanks for the really comprehensive answer. Alot of stress has been relieved lol. Why do you want to come to texas, is it for the bbq and football lol. If it is you wont be disapointed. If not threre is alot more to be had in Texas. If you can I advise you go to Austin it is awesome. The city's motto is "Keep Austin Weird", its the live music captial of the world and is nothing but fun, its awesome. Houston as well is great, its big and driving is really the only good form of tranportation but it is also fun and there are tons of things to do. :smile:

Also, what is with British people and Houston? I've heard several of them comment on how they enjoyed it. Considering the fact that most Americans from outside of Houston think of it as an armpit of a town, I find this quite odd. What is the appeal for y'all?
I suppose classical liberals just love murdering civilians didn't they? :rolleyes:

Stop trying to appeal to emotion. You can't even justify in a reasoned debate as to why you oppose war from what I've seen, heck not point limiting it to the war anything. Remember your post on the Israel/Palestine thread? If you can, feel free to do it here preferably without committing a logical fallacy and using certain buzzwords every 5 lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending