The Student Room Group

Do people consider film/tv production as a 'Mickey Mouse' degree?

I've applied for Film and TV Production, and a lot of threads here seem to go on and on about what a worthless degree Media Studies is. I personally don't think they have a right to decide what anyone should study, but just as a question - is production also considered a soft subject? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
By the pretentious people on TSR, yes it is.
Reply 2
I think Media Studies is a bit broad, hence why it can be considered 'Mickey Mouse'. Whilst I disagree with this, arguing that a degree in Classics at Oxford for example, is completely useless in any job in terms of the knowledge required.

I think Film Production and any Film/TV/Media degree that focuses on at least part of the production side and gives you practical experience, then it will be useful for a future career in the Media industry, or simply be used to showcase your experience.

But yes, the elitists and arrogant folk on TSR may class it as Mickey Mouse, but it depends on the career path you want to take, to take MM degree in context.
As someone who's worked in the Music/Post industry (I'm going back to uni to study medicine, go figure! :rolleyes:) some courses are not worth their time.

That being said Solent seems to be the place to go if you want to work in broadcasting.

Before you apply though look at the state of the broadcasting industry. Red bee (the company that took over broadcasting from the BBC) is on it's last legs. I have a housemate who works for MTV, watching for broadcast errors/dropped frames/swearing etc. and he says they're expanding. So I guess the state of it isn't too bad!
Original post by insertnamehere
I've applied for Film and TV Production, and a lot of threads here seem to go on and on about what a worthless degree Media Studies is. I personally don't think they have a right to decide what anyone should study, but just as a question - is production also considered a soft subject? :s-smilie:

Noone is trying to tell you that you shouldn't study media studies.
They are trying to tell you that, should you choose to do so, you will be studying for a Mickey Mouse degree.

Please try to grasp the distinction.
Reply 5
Original post by TimmonaPortella
They are trying to tell you that, should you choose to do so, you will be studying for a Mickey Mouse degree.

I expected that sort of reply. I guess I should just apply for medicine and become the worst doctor in the world. It would certainly please my mum! :rolleyes:

BTW, I found your reply quite amusing. :smile:
Reply 6
Do you want to be in film or television production? Yes?
Then no, it's not a micky mouse degree.
Original post by FTstudies
I think Media Studies is a bit broad, hence why it can be considered 'Mickey Mouse'. Whilst I disagree with this, arguing that a degree in Classics at Oxford for example, is completely useless in any job in terms of the knowledge required.

:hmmm:

*Postgraduate study
*Research in the Classics
*Latin/Ancient Greek translation
*Barrister/Law
*Civil service
*Writing/publishing/journalism
*Serving in the ministry

No offence, but many graduates don't use the knowledge they've used in their degree after graduation. That doesn't make Chemistry, Maths, History etc degrees useless.

OP: well, you pretty much know my opinion on it. :h: Not that it means anything.
Reply 8
Original post by im so academic
:hmmm:

*Postgraduate study
*Research in the Classics
*Latin/Ancient Greek translation
*Barrister/Law
*Civil service
*Writing/publishing/journalism
*Serving in the ministry

No offence, but many graduates don't use the knowledge they've used in their degree after graduation. That doesn't make Chemistry, Maths, History etc degrees useless.

OP: well, you pretty much know my opinion on it. :h: Not that it means anything.

Though you have to admit, someone with a Law degree would initially seem more equipped to be a Barrister/Lawyer than someone with a Classics degree.

But I have to say, I don't really understand why you are browsing the Media/Film/Journalism section, except to leap the defence of any possible criticism relating to Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 9
I've never studied media/film studies so I'm not in the position to call it a 'soft subject'. But, I would have thought it would make more sense for someone who wants to go into that field to get a 'generic' degree in an academic subject such as English first of all and then speacilise post-graduation. I only say this because I would expect jobs in the film/tv industry to be extremely hard to come by. Therefore, if someone struggles getting a job in that industry they havn't entirely ruled out other careers.
Reply 10

1. If you're doing Film & TV Production, it isn't media 'studies' because it's focused on the creative side rather than the analytical (although it will of course contain those elements)

2. I strongly recommend getting at least some industry experience before you commit years of your life to studying to go into a profession. I worked in film for 2 years before I went to uni to do a media degree. Most of the people on my course are now completely baffled by the prospect of actually finding a job. Whereas, I have a couple of interviews already lined up.

3. If you do make it in the industry, they'll be pretty jealous. So whatever you do, do it well and then nobody can really criticize you for it.

4. Good luck with your applications. Enjoy uni. :smile:
Just do as you so wish OP. There was no need to make a thread about this.
Original post by ctarling
1. If you're doing Film & TV Production, it isn't media 'studies' because it's focused on the creative side rather than the analytical (although it will of course contain those elements)

2. I strongly recommend getting at least some industry experience before you commit years of your life to studying to go into a profession. I worked in film for 2 years before I went to uni to do a media degree. Most of the people on my course are now completely baffled by the prospect of actually finding a job. Whereas, I have a couple of interviews already lined up.

3. If you do make it in the industry, they'll be pretty jealous. So whatever you do, do it well and then nobody can really criticize you for it.

4. Good luck with your applications. Enjoy uni. :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I do have a bit of experience (that's how I narrowed 'Mass Communication' down to 'Production'). If you don't mind me asking, which uni are you at?
Reply 13

Completely off-topic and slightly random, but why did you choose to apply to only 3 unis? Just curious :smile:
Original post by bramz19
Completely off-topic and slightly random, but why did you choose to apply to only 3 unis? Just curious :smile:

Because I sort of want a gap year, but thought I may as well have a go. So I only applied to places I'd really be happy with :smile:

Gap year primarily because I think I'd have a better chance for places like LSE and UCL with my A2s already obtained, as my crappy GCSEs will probably be less of a factor once I have several A*s at A2. Plus, I'm pretty sure my UMS will be higher this year, so I'll have more chance for Cam next year.
(Also because I'd like to take a year in Nicaragua, or somewhere similarly cool)
:redface:

Congrats on your offers btw. Are you firming LSE?
Reply 15
Thanks for the advice! I do have a bit of experience (that's how I narrowed 'Mass Communication' down to 'Production'). If you don't mind me asking, which uni are you at?

I'm at Warwick, and the course I'm on is a 3 year BA in Film and Literature (basically a joint honours degree) So I'm actually doing one of those dreaded media studies degrees!

I actually turned down doing a film production BA at the University of the Arts, because it wasn't the best choice for my own personal development. They also weren't particularly well kitted out for my primary area of interest (set/production design) - they seemed very surprised that they had someone interested in it and I felt that they wouldn't really know what to teach me. I got the impression that everyone goes there wanting to be a director/producer. So it wasn't for me.
Reply 16
Because I sort of want a gap year, but thought I may as well have a go. So I only applied to places I'd really
be happy with :smile:

Gap year primarily because I think I'd have a better chance for places like LSE and UCL with my A2s already obtained, as my crappy GCSEs will probably be less of a factor once I have several A*s at A2. Plus, I'm pretty sure my UMS will be higher this year, so I'll have more chance for Cam next year.
(Also because I'd like to take a year in Nicaragua, or somewhere similarly cool)
:redface:

Congrats on your offers btw. Are you firming LSE?

Wow, sounds like a pretty good plan! And yep, firming LSE and making UCL my insurance, I'm all sorted. Good luck, hope everything works out dandy :smile:

You shouldn't worry about what people on here think. If we all did, we'd feel bad about ourselves pretty much all the time.
Original post by ctarling
I'm at Warwick, and the course I'm on is a 3 year BA in Film and Literature (basically a joint honours degree) So I'm actually doing one of those dreaded media studies degrees!

I actually turned down doing a film production BA at the University of the Arts, because it wasn't the best choice for my own personal development. They also weren't particularly well kitted out for my primary area of interest (set/production design) - they seemed very surprised that they had someone interested in it and I felt that they wouldn't really know what to teach me. I got the impression that everyone goes there wanting to be a director/producer. So it wasn't for me.

Oooh, set design! It's fascinating. As a producer, I look forward to working with set/production designers and casting agents the most! :smile:
Hey, at Warwick, do people give you a hard time about your degree? Or is this just a TSR thing?
Sounds to me like you're looking for reassurance that you're not wasting great deals of time and money studying for a degree that may not be worth that much to you in the future.

Just sayin'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending