The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abiiiii
Thank you :smile: please could you tell me a little bit about the atmosphere for lawyers at worcester? I got cold feet a little bit yesterday and was talking to a friend about going somewhere else :s-smilie: don't think I would actually have the courage to do that but would be nice to know a little bit more :smile: thank you xxx

I'll probably end up writing an essay - hopefully it's ok if I pm you :smile:
Original post by abiiiii
My friend told me to look at it as an amazing compliment, because if our UCAS forms weren't strong enough for a place like UCL (which doesn't interview) we must be really good in person if our interviews overcame that, like other candidates (the ones who got UCL offers etc too) must have been way stronger on paper, so they must have really liked us to make us offers :smile: i'm not sure how realistic that is because my interview was shocking but it's a nice way to look at it :smile: xxx

Positive rep for cheering me up. :smile:
Reply 242
Original post by Miss Cellaneous
Positive rep for cheering me up. :smile:

oooh I don't really know what that is but it sounds nice :smile: glad I cheered you up anyway :smile: xxx
Reply 243
Anyone who stayed at/looked around Worcester - is it actually properly nice? It was my second college, and I didn't really get a chance to look round :P
Reply 244
woo I'm signing up to this thread :smile: I have an offer for Fine Art at St Catz :biggrin:

Anyone here applied to Catz? I was pooled, and so didn't get to look around at all!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 245
Original post by -mai-
I was pooled, and so didn't get to look around at all!

Same with me :frown: And everyone was talking about the Worcester Lake!
Reply 246
Original post by -mai-

Anyone here applied to Catz?

Yeah i applied to Catz and got an offer
Reply 247
Original post by AAfc
Yeah i applied to Catz and got an offer

What course did you apply for? and what was catz like when you stayed there? (presuming you did for interview) All I saw of it was the architecture, obviously, but people tell me it's a really friendly and relaxed college... I'm guessing you love it since you applied there! Thanks :smile:
Reply 248
Original post by abiiiii
My friend told me to look at it as an amazing compliment, because if our UCAS forms weren't strong enough for a place like UCL (which doesn't interview) we must be really good in person if our interviews overcame that, like other candidates (the ones who got UCL offers etc too) must have been way stronger on paper, so they must have really liked us to make us offers :smile: i'm not sure how realistic that is because my interview was shocking but it's a nice way to look at it :smile: xxx

Sounds logical to me - well done! Hats off to Oxford too; shows that they are going the extra mile and unearthing talent instead of just relying on raw stats :smile:
Original post by gasmask
Anyone who stayed at/looked around Worcester - is it actually properly nice? It was my second college, and I didn't really get a chance to look round :P

I'm a grad, I was there for four years. It's gorgeous - large grounds, including a lake with ducks, and sports pitches; accommodation for all three years (granted, quality varies, but hey you won't be chucked out in second year!); beautiful chapel (you can't help but love a chapel with all different carved wooden animals on the end of the pews, including a dodo) and library. It also has a lovely, friendly atmosphere and isn't really on the tourist trail, yet is near the centre.
Worcester :love:

PS. Pop back if you want to see it again - tell the porters you're an offer holder, they'll let you in.
Reply 250
Just found this thread !

Law with French Law at Magdalen College :smile:
Is anyone else doing a course that involves a year abroad? I'm nervous about it already :L
Reply 251
Original post by -mai-
What course did you apply for? and what was catz like when you stayed there? (presuming you did for interview) All I saw of it was the architecture, obviously, but people tell me it's a really friendly and relaxed college... I'm guessing you love it since you applied there! Thanks :smile:

I applied for geography. Yeah it was my 1st choice. Really big nice JCR and good relaxed atmosphere. I didnt feel uncomfortable at all whilst there. Shame you dont get an en suite until 2nd year as far as i understand but the rooms are nice enough even if the bed was a bit uncomfortable.

I really liked it and you probably will too
Reply 252
Original post by Festina lente
I'm a grad, I was there for four years. It's gorgeous - large grounds, including a lake with ducks, and sports pitches; accommodation for all three years (granted, quality varies, but hey you won't be chucked out in second year!); beautiful chapel (you can't help but love a chapel with all different carved wooden animals on the end of the pews, including a dodo) and library. It also has a lovely, friendly atmosphere and isn't really on the tourist trail, yet is near the centre.
Worcester :love:

PS. Pop back if you want to see it again - tell the porters you're an offer holder, they'll let you in.

I'll have to sometime :smile: Probably in summer - then I can join in some Pimms-drinking :wink:
Reply 253
Original post by Johnshopkinser
how could u re-apply.... did u take a year off or what?

Keep your options open. What I did was firm my Warwick offer then apply for loads of internships etc (didn't get any but that's besides the point) and then at least you have a plan/things to put on your personal statement if you do re-apply. To be honest it is completely up to you, you have an offer from UCL which is awesome and prior to receiving my Ox offer I was so concerned about not getting an offer this year.
Reply 254
Original post by Johnshopkinser
right that's what i thought. happy new year to u too.

i'm also applying to america and i got loads of reach schools on the list after the oxford offer.

I assume from your name that you're applying to Johns Hopkins? Which other ones are you applying for? Best of luck to you :smile:
Reply 255
Original post by shoshin
Not likely! I was just jesting cos TurnerE is heading in the opposite direction, from LA to Oxford :smile:

Edit: Happy New Year!

You would literally have to pay me to stay in LA, and I would charge extra to go to UCLA :wink:
Reply 256
Hi.. Add mee :colondollar:

Applied to Univ to do maths, didn't get in but got picked up by Exeter :biggrin:

Also, wooo first post :rolleyes:
Original post by TurnerE

Original post by TurnerE
I assume from your name that you're applying to Johns Hopkins? Which other ones are you applying for? Best of luck to you :smile:

Uh i aint really applying to JHU... i'm obsessed with JHU but in the end decided that i might not fit the school. its a bit too serious for me and my counselors said students there didn't have a life besides school work.

i'm really interested in LACs so applied to a few that are really not that famous. lol.

wbt u?
Reply 258
Original post by hattierosie
Name (optional): hattierosie
Subject: Engineering
College: Hertford
Offer: AAA, double maths physics D:
How you found out: I rang them up and the secretary told me on the phone, and sent me an e-mail, and i got the letter today (finally!)

yay (:

Wow, congratulations! That letter is so late, I think you missed Freshers' Week :smile:
Really want to go now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending