The Student Room Group

Dunno where to go for college

I know that i should know by now where i want to go for college or sixth form but i have absolutely NO idea where i want to go. I decide somewhere and then 2 weeks later change my mind. So i was just wondering any ideas ??? And reputations for any schools (in birmingham or near) and recommendations. Comps and Grammar as long as the grammar schools aren't expecting too high grades :tongue:
Reply 1
What are your predicted grades?

Aside from grammar schools there are many colleges like cadbury college, solihull sixth form etc which I believe want 5 a*- c grades
Does your current school not have a sixth form btw?

One final thing, which colleges are you currently considering/have considered?
Reply 2
Original post by Bonjourr
What are your predicted grades?

Aside from grammar schools there are many colleges like cadbury college, solihull sixth form etc which I believe want 5 a*- c grades
Does your current school not have a sixth form btw?

One final thing, which colleges are you currently considering/have considered?

Predicted grades:
Bio - A
Chem - A
Physics - A
Maths - A*
A2 Media - A
English Lit - B (but apparently it's meant to be an A)
Sociology - A
Btec P.E - A
R.E - A

GCSE's already achieved:
English Lang - A
Media - A
AS Media - B (but retaking)

And the colleges i've already applied for are cadbury, queens mary high school, and some other smaller schools that i doubt i will go to.

Oh and no, my schools not the greatest and doesn't have a sixth form
Reply 3
Original post by Bazingaaa
Predicted grades:
Bio - A
Chem - A
Physics - A
Maths - A*
A2 Media - A
English Lit - B (but apparently it's meant to be an A)
Sociology - A
Btec P.E - A
R.E - A

GCSE's already achieved:
English Lang - A
Media - A
AS Media - B (but retaking)

And the colleges i've already applied for are cadbury, queens mary high school, and some other smaller schools that i doubt i will go to.

Oh and no, my schools not the greatest and doesn't have a sixth form

Sounds like you're going to get good grades then :smile:
Have you thought about any of the King Edward schools?
Which A levels do you want to take
Reply 4
Sounds like you're going to get good grades then :smile:
Have you thought about any of the King Edward schools?
Which A levels do you want to take

I doubt i'm going to achieve the science grades as i always get B's in mocks no matter how much i revise :frown: and for sociology (which i hate)

And i wanna take bio, english lit, psychology and drama for A level.

For king edward's i don't think i would get in because they want all A's in the subjects you wanna do and i know i'm not gonna get them. Also my friend is applying there and said on the open day they sounded stuck up (that was at the KE in Five Ways)
I doubt i'm going to achieve the science grades as i always get B's in mocks no matter how much i revise :frown: and for sociology (which i hate)

Don't take mocks too seriously; just because you get a grade below your predicted doesn't mean you'll never achieve your predicted/higher in your real one. Especially Science. In year 10, I got B and A in my mock for two units for science and in the real exams I got A* on both. Just revise and do your best :smile:
I know that i should know by now where i want to go for college or sixth form but i have absolutely NO idea where i want to go. I decide somewhere and then 2 weeks later change my mind. So i was just wondering any ideas ??? And reputations for any schools (in birmingham or near) and recommendations. Comps and Grammar as long as the grammar schools aren't expecting too high grades :tongue:

I would heavily recommend that you conduct your own research by looking at the sixth form/college league tables for your local area.

The best league tables I believe is the BBC School League tables so you could just search for it and you should find what you are looking for there. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by lilzoldier
I would heavily recommend that you conduct your own research by looking at the sixth form/college league tables for your local area.

The best league tables I believe is the BBC School League tables so you could just search for it and you should find what you are looking for there. :smile:

Done that, over and over and over again!! No where really interests me
Done that, over and over and over again!! No where really interests me

Then try looking at the league tables for a different borough thats close to yours. You don't always have to be confined to attend a college in the same borough.

Have you tried that yet?
Reply 9
Then try looking at the league tables for a different borough thats close to yours. You don't always have to be confined to attend a college in the same borough.

Have you tried that yet?

I actually have. I've tried walsall, dudley, solihull and even sutton coldfield. Can't actually find anywhere D: :s-smilie:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Don't take mocks too seriously; just because you get a grade below your predicted doesn't mean you'll never achieve your predicted/higher in your real one. Especially Science. In year 10, I got B and A in my mock for two units for science and in the real exams I got A* on both. Just revise and do your best :smile:

I agree that If you have mocks in Year 10 then you should simply disregard it as it's not a genuine indicator of your potential final grade, however mocks in Year 11 are more important because those grades would probably find the basis of whether you go to a chosen college/sixth form so you would need to pull your socks up and not simply disregard Year 11 mocks.
I agree that If you have mocks in Year 10 then you should simply disregard it as it's not a genuine indicator of your potential final grade, however mocks in Year 11 are more important because those grades would probably find the basis of whether you go to a chosen college/sixth form so you would need to pull your socks up and not simply disregard Year 11 mocks.

Lol nah, my real mocks were in year 11, but when I said 'mocks' in year 10, I meant we went through a past paper for each science unit we had an exam on that year. Sorry that it was a bit unclear... But yes, mocks are still important, because it shows you your area of weakness in that particular subject. Moreover, it can motivate you to revise more if you get a bad grade.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Do you know at all what type of place you want?
Like a Sixth form attached to a school or a college?
single sex/mixed?
grammar/comprehensive?
Small/large etc

Where are your friends going or considering (not saying you should follow like a sheep, it just might give you ideas)
Have you been to any open days and if so where?
Reply 13
Do you know at all what type of place you want?
Like a Sixth form attached to a school or a college?
single sex/mixed?
grammar/comprehensive?
Small/large etc

Where are your friends going or considering (not saying you should follow like a sheep, it just might give you ideas)
Have you been to any open days and if so where?

I actually don't want to go anywhere they're going. I can't wait to get rid of most people from my school tbh.
I defo wanna go to a sixth form attached to a school and i don't mind whether it is a grammar or comp. I would prefer mixed but don't mind a single school with mixed sixth form

I've been to one open day :tongue: i know not a lot, but i am going to one in Jan for a place i'm definitely considering
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest