The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by kashim91
his words not mine

I don't dispute that might be why he reckons he got in, but I personally wouldn't believe it.
Original post by im so academic
That's digusting, "for the challenge". You don't see people advising users to apply to Oxbridge for the challenge do you? He took up a potential space for another, more grateful, applicant.

I absolutely ****ing hate the notion that how much you deserve something is somehow related to how much you want it, it's just ****ing ridiculous and only useful as a comfort for bellends like you who somehow hope that their irrational obsessions with getting into Oxbridge/ Medicine/ whatever will inevitably see them good in the end.
I know at least 3 who went to uni with me. 2 rejected Cambridge and 1 Oxford.
My friend rejected Maths at Cambridge....he only really applied because of its status....and then decided that actually, it wasn't where he wanted to be!
Reply 204
My friend put Oxford as 2nd choice for physics, got an offer, but then went to Durham (his 1st choice).
I know someone who plans to reject Oxford if he gets into an American Uni. It happens but I wouldn't do it.
Also I know someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance offer and ended up going there, but the college knew and wasn't too happy with them.
If I get offers from brizzle and cambridge, I'll reject cambridge I think. It's vet school though, cambridge is just as hard to get into as the rest of them, so the usual rules don't really seem to apply!
One of my friends rejected Cambridge (Biological NatSci) in favour of Manchester. She preferred the course at Manchester as the Cambridge one forces you to take a broad range of modules at the start, but she was already sure what she wanted to study. This meant that she could be a terrible student and get pissed several times a week but still come out with a first (as, basically, the Manchester course was significantly easier than the Cambridge one would have been). All along her first choice was Manchester and she applied to Cambridge just to see whether she could get in.

School went crazy when they found out she was rejecting the offer - there were very few of us in our year who got Oxbridge offers so they were extremely keen that she accept it. They even went as far as sending a letter to her parents about it!

She is now doing a PhD at Oxford :smile:

Original post by Revolution is my Name
I absolutely ****ing hate the notion that how much you deserve something is somehow related to how much you want it, it's just ****ing ridiculous and only useful as a comfort for bellends like you who somehow hope that their irrational obsessions with getting into Oxbridge/ Medicine/ whatever will inevitably see them good in the end.

Agree with you there... this attitude works at school (with its effort grades, and the "it's the taking part that counts" ethos) but once you're out of school you're in the real world where, no matter how hard you tried, if it's not good enough then it's not good enough.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 208
Yes, a friend's son rejected an offer from Cambridge to read Law and ended up at Lancaster University. This was largely due to not enjoying the atmosphere.
Original post by bluewhale
Yes, a friend's son rejected an offer from Cambridge to read Law and ended up at Lancaster University. This was largely due to not enjoying the atmosphere.

Rejecting Cambridge for Lancaster?????!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::s-smilie::eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes.
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
Yes.

I thought of you when I saw this thread!
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I thought of you when I saw this thread!

I was unawares I was e-famous :jiggy:
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
I was unawares I was e-famous :jiggy:

I only remembered you because I PM'ed you a couple of times after I saw the bootiful wimminz on your profile.

So alas, you're not that famous. :tongue:
rejected oxford.
not for me.
Original post by mazzie111

rejected oxford.
not for me.

For Swansea? Well, if you're happy...
For Swansea? Well, if you're happy...

lol yeah. i'd rather be happy than kill myself working whilst most probably being unhappy. I like this uni and if i come out with the same result, then to me it doesn't matter.

lol yeah. i'd rather be happy than kill myself working whilst most probably being unhappy. I like this uni and if i come out with the same result, then to me it doesn't matter.

Hmm... OK.

Just one question, have you ever thought "what if"?
A friend of mine was offered a place at Oxford to do his postgraduate degree, but he felt that LSE was more suited to his course so he went there :smile:
Hmm... OK.

Just one question, have you ever thought "what if"?

I did at first. But then i realised what if doesn't matter because it wasn't what i wanted. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending