The Student Room Group

Did you think the Come Fly with Me racial impersonations were racist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
who gives a ****?
Reply 61
I'll be honest, the japanese part wasn't that funny for me being half japanese myself. But I think that is understandable :smile:
Reply 62
What people seem to ignore is that the programme takes the mick out of white british people too. And nothing in the show says that the people that are being portrayed only behave in that manner because of their race, and it is not implied that all people of that race behave in the same way.
So no, I don't believe the programme is racist.
Reply 63
Original post by xTurninggMySwagOnx
you think? oohh yesss:smile: and awww thankyouu yeah just seen that now after eastenders:smile: ahaa good tv night :biggrin:

It's alright! Cool lol. :smile:
Reply 64
you think? oohh yesss:smile: and awww thankyouu yeah just seen that now after eastenders:smile: ahaa good tv night :biggrin:

Oh, just found out, they have 6 episodes. The third episode will be shown on thursday, 21:00 on BBC One
Original post by Vanny17
Oh, just found out, they have 6 episodes. The third episode will be shown on thursday, 21:00 on BBC One

ooohh! haha so is it every thursday from now on?!
Reply 66
ooohh! haha so is it every thursday from now on?!

Yes it is. :smile:
hmmmm
Original post by Vanny17
Yes it is. :smile:

yessss:smile:
Racist if they don't have ethnic minority characters (which is obviously going to be them, that's the format of the show), racist if they do. :rolleyes:

You can't win with these people. Just an excuse to drop the r-card.
Original post by Vanny17
I didn't watch it. :frown:. To make make matters worse, i can't watch it online because my speaker has no sound. :s-smilie:

Can you watch it on iplayer with subtitles ??

I for one enjoyed it, I get offended by racism and most forms of 'ism' - but there is no apparent attempt to pick on one particular stereotype and portray it negatively - they do not present the superior male/race as a contrast to the ridiculed minority. Every stereotype is up for grabs. That is why Lucas and Walliams succeed in my opinion. I am waiting for the next episode.
Reply 71
The show did seem to be mostly poking fun at minorities, pointing out how stupid and silly they are. It wasn't clever or funny, it was just a bit gratuitous.

Some people seemed to like it though, so whatever. Each to their own.
Reply 72
yessss:smile:

:smile:
Reply 73
Original post by ollienbert
Can you watch it on iplayer with subtitles ??

I for one enjoyed it, I get offended by racism and most forms of 'ism' - but there is no apparent attempt to pick on one particular stereotype and portray it negatively - they do not present the superior male/race as a contrast to the ridiculed minority. Every stereotype is up for grabs. That is why Lucas and Walliams succeed in my opinion. I am waiting for the next episode.

Yes you can watch it on iplayer with subtitles. Here is a link to Episode 2. Click on the S button to watch in subtitles:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x9xm3/Come_Fly_With_Me_Episode_2/
I understand what you mean. it is steoreotypical but not in anyway racist. Lol at all the ''isms'' ageism, sexism, feminism, marxism etc (I quite like your take on the ''isms'' :smile:). Yes, it wasn't in anyway offensive just blatant humour. Racism in itself is all about being ''superior'' than other races to be simplistic, they didn't portray that and although they didn't balance the steoreotypes with different genders, they did present difference races (whites, indians, africans etc) in an equally steoreotypical manner, so one cannot say that they were racist.
No way, both (come fly with me & top gear) were hilarious, im a muslim and i didnt find the burqa thing offensive at all.

But if anyone watched today's episode of Come fly with me, the scene in the pub with the two guys full on lipsing/touching was so awkward to watch with my parents in the room. :frown:
Reply 75
Original post by McDhol
"waits for next big racism row / muslim controversy story from the Daily mail "

seen the top gear one?

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Didn't see the actual episode but I know the whole burqa thing - how you can find that offensive, Jeremy Clarkson in a burqa is hilarious no matter what religion you are

Original post by ninetytwo92
No way, both (come fly with me & top gear) were hilarious, im a muslim and i didnt find the burqa thing offensive at all.

That was such a BS non story. No leading Muslim organisation or leader complained about this episode or even mentioned it, so ofc Daily Fail had to approach our local Muslim nutjob Anjem Choudary and then present this one prat's view as if it were representing a wide-spread Muslim outrage.
Original post by ninetytwo92

But if anyone watched today's episode of Come fly with me, the scene in the pub with the two guys full on lipsing/touching was so awkward to watch with my parents in the room. :frown:

yup that's why i sky+ it and watch it later...what about the calendar thing as well :rolleyes:
Oh, forget racism - I was more offended by the fact that BBC used our taxpayer's money to show us such a crap and unfunny comedy show :mad:
Original post by B-Man.
That was such a BS non story. No leading Muslim organisation or leader complained about this episode or even mentioned it, so ofc Daily Fail had to approach our local Muslim nutjob Anjem Choudary and then present this one prat's view as if it were representing a wide-spread Muslim outrage.

typical dm trash!
Original post by Billa Bong
yup that's why i sky+ it and watch it later...what about the calendar thing as well :rolleyes:

the first episode wasn't that bad so i thought todays would be alright lol!
and calendar thing...im lost? (i have a bad memory)

Edit: i remember now, yeah that was another awkward part.....i've definitely learnt my lesson now!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending