The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Has anyone received an English lit offer from Bristol yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bounce7
Hi :smile: so you took a gap year then? Because I will be doing the same I think haha, did you apply to uni last year too?

Woahhh :/ when I went to their open day I asked someone that question, and they said about 5 applicant to every place! then I looked on the website, and found the same thing you did, and that is crazy! Thats more competitive than Durham! I had no idea it was that bad :/!!!

I did apply to Uni last year, got an offer from Birmingham and was all set to go. Got hit by a bout of bad health and couldn't go, so my gap year was kind of forced. I'm quite glad about it though. I got better results than I was predicted, so I can go for places like Bristol this time around. Plus, I really wasn't ready to go to Uni in September: I felt very rushed and unprepared, so this gives me a chance to prepare myself properly, save up some money, get some work experience, hopefully see a bit of the world.

Yeah, it is crazily competitive... but you never know! They give out more offers than places, so maybe we'll be okay!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
Original post by James9876
I did apply to Uni last year, got an offer from Birmingham and was all set to go. Got hit by a bout of bad health and couldn't go, so my gap year was kind of forced. I'm quite glad about it though. I got better results than I was predicted, so I can go for places like Bristol this time around. Plus, I really wasn't ready to go to Uni in September: I felt very rushed and unprepared, so this gives me a chance to prepare myself properly, save up some money, get some work experience, hopefully see a bit of the world.

Yeah, it is crazily competitive... but you never know! They give out more offers than places, so maybe we'll be okay!

Ah and you are for english too :smile: Did you reapply to birmingham too as well as bristol?
thats really unlucky, But good luck with your application this year :smile: I'm sure you will manage to get a place.
And yess, hopefully we will be!!
Reply 22
Original post by Bounce7
I know I did, :/ On the basis that yes, i now probably will be rejected for all of them and I guess I can take a gap year and reapply if I do. Well I am predicted A*AA and have a strong application, and want to reach my full potential in English, that is why I went to it. I didn't realise that bristol and exeter are also that competitive though!! :/

Bristol is the most competitive undergraduate university in the country. Bristol along with universities like Exeter (more so over the last few years) and Warwick tend to get a disproportionate amount of applications because they are at the top end of some applicants ambitions (i.e. it is their high-end choice), there are lots of people who talk themselves out of applying to Cambridge, Oxford and UCL, for example, and then there are those who applied to the former but were rejected so the aforementioned tend to be back up choices.

I think you are a little naive when you talk about reaching your 'full potential in English' (whatever that means). The university is a good starting point, but your potential is limited by what you are willing to put into your studies. Nevertheless, you have good grades and I hope for your sake you manage to get where you want to go!
Reply 23
Original post by evantej
Bristol is the most competitive undergraduate university in the country. Bristol along with universities like Exeter (more so over the last few years) and Warwick tend to get a disproportionate amount of applications because they are at the top end of some applicants ambitions (i.e. it is their high-end choice), there are lots of people who talk themselves out of applying to Cambridge, Oxford and UCL, for example, and then there are those who applied to the former but were rejected so the aforementioned tend to be back up choices.

I think you are a little naive when you talk about reaching your 'full potential in English' (whatever that means). The university is a good starting point, but your potential is limited by what you are willing to put into your studies. Nevertheless, you have good grades and I hope for your sake you manage to get where you want to go!

No, I meant I want to go to the best university I can for english, thats why I applied to the ones I did in the end. I have the grades, as well as a strong personal statement. ItS just the competition I guess, especially as it has gone up a lot this year :/ I am willing to put a lot into my studies of course!
haha thank you :smile: And I can't go back on my choices now I guess, so if I do not get any offers then I will just have to end up taking a gap year :/
Reply 24
You should take a real course like Physics ; )
Reply 25
Original post by Colwell_2
You should take a real course like Physics ; )

haha shh. Yeah especially if you are a girl. I know a girl who got an EEE offer for engineering from Cambridge. they need people to do sciences, but I just prefer english :/
Reply 26
Same here, applied for eng lit ad only had a confirmation so far
Still only on an acknowledgement, I guess we could be waiting until March....:eek:
Reply 28
Got mine 2 days ago :biggrin:
I know English Lit and Geography applicants who applied and got offers last year. Bristol didn't reply to them until about some point in March and they were both around the same time, I'm guessing it's the same scenario this year so they give all/the majority of their offers around that time :smile:
Reply 30
I am also anxiously awaiting Bristol! I too have heard it's more competitive than Oxford (which is actually only about 3 people per place once you get to interview - unfortunately I still didn't manage to get in!) so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Good luck to everyone waiting :smile: I think it's worth going for the top universities if that's what you want; I'm glad I applied to Oxford and Durham despite getting rejections from both.
Reply 31
Original post by mel0n
Got mine 2 days ago :biggrin:

Sooo jealous! :redface:
Reply 32
its not just english, its just bristol.

i've heard of a few people being given places (one for english) and a few rejections but most people have been placed in that mysterious 'hold' category, including me. its likely we won't get a response til our exams start, technically they don't have to answer til may.
Reply 33
Original post by writerwho~
Sooo jealous! :redface:

Don't be, I've not even applied there really.
Reply 34
Original post by mel0n
Don't be, I've not even applied there really.

Right...
Original post by Bounce7
Ohh yeah, a lot of people, only one person from my college even got an English interview at Oxford! But all the Cambridge applicants got their interviews.

That's because Oxford have a test (ELAT) which helps determine if you get an interview, at Cambridge you have the test on the same day as the interviews.

Anyway, I've been wondering about Bristol too, as I haven't heard back either. I don't think grades have anything to do with it as I have 4 As at AS. I just don't want a rejection, as I have offers from all my other 4 unis by now. Guess I must be in the 'hold'. (Well, actually I don't really want to get a reply from Bristol quite yet because then I'd have to make a choice!)
Reply 36
Apologies if this has already been flagged up, but I just went back to the official website and found this -

If you applied by 15 January, the latest that most of you will hear from us is 31 March, but of course many of you will hear within a few weeks of applying.

It's gonna be a long time yet. :rolleyes:
I've got a friend who recently received an offer to study French at Bristol; I've also got a friend who got an offer for Ancient History but was rejected for History. I guess that shows Bristol are giving out offers, but the English department seem to be a bit slow at the moment! :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Beth Angharad
I've got a friend who recently received an offer to study French at Bristol; I've also got a friend who got an offer for Ancient History but was rejected for History. I guess that shows Bristol are giving out offers, but the English department seem to be a bit slow at the moment! :smile:

Oh good! Maybe not such a long wait then :smile:
Reply 39
I got an offer for English Lit yesterday - the conditions are AAA including A in English Lit. I guess they started yesterday as it's the deadline today. I sent off my application really early so they might just be working up from the bottom of the pile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending