The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Barça
I'm starting to get the impression that Birmingham seems to be the hardest away game bar the City, Bridge and Old Trafford. I'm I right or are you Gooners gushing excessively?

tbh most away games are difficult in the EPL but St. Andrews has been notoriously difficult especially for the so called "big teams". They have a knack of stopping the opposing team of playing the way they want and always seem to score late goals.

Before we beat them, they had lost only once at home in the 28 matches before that.

Their pitch is almost deliberately poor as well :colonhash:
Original post by Barça
I'm starting to get the impression that Birmingham seems to be the hardest away game bar the City, Bridge and Old Trafford. I'm I right or are you Gooners gushing excessively?

Anfield, Villa and WHL's tougher too.

Before this game, they had only lost 1 there in the last 23 league games. It's an especially enjoyable win because Arsenal have struggled there recently and don't have good memories of the away games there, Eduardo injury, last minute equalisers. They set up to 'not lose' and they make it frustrating for visiting sides.

Thought we played them at the right time, though. The, IMO, unnecessary 'resting' in mid-week kept the top players fit whereas some of the birmingham players were playing their 3rd game in a week. And although they got away with some horrible challenges, Arsenal had the luck with a few important reffing calls.

edit: well, what the guys above said.
Reply 422
oh to oh to be oh to be a gooner! FantAstic win yesterday! Sami and cesc, quality!! djourou is a beast at the bAck! Should start whenever he can! Big game wednesday, confident tho!
Reply 423
Lovely result and performance, but same wastefulness we always see. RVP, I could've killed him ffs... Not like him to spurn two good chances. We should have racked up the goal difference... Sounds harsh, but we need to make up that ground.

Another thing, will Lee Bowyer's assaults on Sagna be picked up by the FA? The guy should be in prison. Didn't expect the ref to see it, because it was so nasty and cowardly, but he should be banned for a long time for that ****.
Reply 424
Original post by Louis.
I never said you did, but some people who post here (one in particular) are convinced it everything goes against them. But yeah this ref really is poor, a but like our one earlier.
Yeah, he should've sent off Neville really. Probably mistook him for the mascot, with his dumb beard and lack of footballing skillz, though.

Understandable.
Original post by RobbieC
Another thing, will Lee Bowyer's assaults on Sagna be picked up by the FA? The guy should be in prison. Didn't expect the ref to see it, because it was so nasty and cowardly, but he should be banned for a long time for that ****.

I was calling for Eboue or Rosicky to be brought on with the sole intention of snapping the ****er in half. Take the customary 3 game ban (it's a shame Lansbury's on loan. Being English, he'd have avoided a booking if he did the wide-eyed "who me?" routine to the ref) and hope that injuries don't come our way.
Reply 426
No Arsenal fan and no homo but I would husband Nasri.
Reply 427
Lovely, lovely football from us at times last night. Both Theo and Nasri looked excellent in the second half - perhaps RVP would be better off reverting to the role he took against Chelsea when we play City on Wednesday?

Also, Sagna looked very good as well, despite the atrocities being committed against him.
Reply 428
McLeish said: "I felt two or three of the free-kicks were in the dubious category. Does Van Persie fall down easily? We have spoken about foreign players being cleverer than us. Let's leave it like that."

Typical xenophobic stupid ****. Clever enough to not stamp on the opponents leg like an overgrown ape you dickish ****-face :mad:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 66CC99
You'll see at City.

That'll be a better test I agree. There's no point in us comfortably beating the 19th best team in the league and then not turning up in the big games a la Man Utd. Hopefully Arsene doesn't rotate at all, this is definitely our best XI at the moment.
Because you probably won't hear about it otherwise.

In the wake of the furore his remarks provoked, Balotelli now appears more conciliatory, shifting the blame on to those who reported his comments.
‘Look, I really do want to get this across, since you are going to write something,’ he says. ‘I was asked about Wilshere and I didn’t know much about him and the media turned it into a big thing. But now I want to say something else. I watched Jack Wilshere when Arsenal beat Chelsea and you know what? He is fortissimo”, a really strong player. He is very good. And Arsenal are serious contenders for the title.'
Reply 431
Original post by Jeppasloth
Because you probably won't hear about it otherwise.

In the wake of the furore his remarks provoked, Balotelli now appears more conciliatory, shifting the blame on to those who reported his comments.
‘Look, I really do want to get this across, since you are going to write something,’ he says. ‘I was asked about Wilshere and I didn’t know much about him and the media turned it into a big thing. But now I want to say something else. I watched Jack Wilshere when Arsenal beat Chelsea and you know what? He is fortissimo”, a really strong player. He is very good. And Arsenal are serious contenders for the title.'

Seems to have mellowed out a bit. His previous comments were really ****ty - 'Only Messi is better than me' blah blah blah.
Reply 432
The only Messi is better than me comments were misconstrued. He said that Messi was the only player to have won the young player of the year who IS better than him. Still dumb and arrogant, but not as bad.

And I think Jack Wilshere is brilliant and has been since the day I saw him first play as a 16 year old in the Emirates cup. He will be the spine of a trophy winning Arsenal. An incredible talent, regardless of what Balotelli thinks.
Original post by Louis.
What were the 10 then? Neville should have been sent off but both sides had a clear penalty, so I count 1 decision for us.

Not in that one game, but countless dives from Ronaldo and Rooney.
Reply 434
Original post by RobbieC
The only Messi is better than me comments were misconstrued. He said that Messi was the only player to have won the young player of the year who IS better than him. Still dumb and arrogant, but not as bad.

And I think Jack Wilshere is brilliant and has been since the day I saw him first play as a 16 year old in the Emirates cup. He will be the spine of a trophy winning Arsenal. An incredible talent, regardless of what Balotelli thinks.

Yes, but he effectively said that he is better than the likes of Fabregas, Rooney and van der Vaart. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not at all surprised to read this.
Aside from Fabregas he undoubtedly is.
Reply 436

I personally wouldn't rate him above either (Rooney when he's on form), but it's subjective, so I suppose there isn't much point going into it.

I'm not denying that he's a supremely talented player, btw.
Original post by 66CC99
McLeish said: "I felt two or three of the free-kicks were in the dubious category. Does Van Persie fall down easily? We have spoken about foreign players being cleverer than us. Let's leave it like that."

Typical xenophobic stupid ****. Clever enough to not stamp on the opponents leg like an overgrown ape you dickish ****-face :mad:

I hate this attitude of many PL managers. It's absolutely moronic. They have absolutely no room to complain when their teams played like thugs for 90 minutes and one of them basically singled out and assaulted one of our players, and Wenger didn't even speak out against it, nor did Sagna retaliate iirc.
Original post by Abiraleft
I personally wouldn't rate him above either (Rooney when he's on form), but it's subjective, so I suppose there isn't much point going into it.

I'm not denying that he's a supremely talented player, btw.

I can see your point and really he should keep it to himself because it's just more ammo for his critics.

However he has every right to believe it because he has shown he is a hugely talented player both at Inter and City. Most players probably believe they're better than they are but the majority have the sense to keep it to themselves. So I guess his comments were ****ty as you first pointed out :colondollar:
Reply 439

Rooney? I still don't think anybody can claim that Ballotelli is better than him yet.

Latest